RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

shall be interesting w/ such a variety of "characters" onboard & a "new" roommate. I'm sorry your upgrade didn't work out. From the cruise ship calendar there appeared to be 5 ships in CPH today. I can only imagine the chaos. BTW, that new Carnival ship was the Splendor. And you look quite suave in that tux!

As you can see by my member name, I am a Big Fan of the Saga Sisters, Saga Ruby and Saga Rose. I have spent a total of 30 days onboard them.

Trust me, those ships are as beautiful on the inside as on the outside and the service by the hotel staff is impeccable. Although, with 540 passengers, the challenges are not the same as those onboard Eurodam!

Thanks so much for that marvelous photo of Saga Ruby.

Happy sails!

Ruby

What's wrong with the aft-end of the tender imaged in this picture?

edam77.jpg

Hint ... most of the tenders still have this error, but the ship doesn't.

Hi RevNeal: Great "Live from" posts. Been following them since you started the trip.

The Lifeboats have a 'Nassau' registration and the Eurodam has a 'Rotterdam' registration on the stern.

We had a death aboard ship this morning. They alerted "Bright Star" at about 10:20 am, and everybody went running. I'll not divulge details, but suffice it to say prayers have been said for the deceased and their family.

Please pardon my ignorance...is "Bright Star" an announcement that is made when there is a death onboard?

Fabulous photos, Greg. Thanks.

How wonderful to hear Mark Zeller has been promoted. Congratulations to him. He'll do a great job, I'm sure. What a nice man.

Hope you all enjoy your next ten days aboard.......

How unfortunate about the upgrade. Very interesting to hear about the different passenger demographics during the past few segments. Hopefully the kids will settle down on this one. I'm still anxiously awaiting a few pics of the SS category staterooms. If in your mingling you come across anyone in one perhaps you might convince them to post a few snaps (or persuade them to let you take a few snaps:):)

Thanks for the continuing update. It's increasing my anticipation of coming aboard shortly!!

MH

Quote:

This evening, as we departed Copenhagen, we spotted the lovely old Saga Ruby, departing the port. Wow, what a lovely old ship!

edam100.jpg

RevNeal,

Is there any possibility that this photo of the Saga Ruby is one in the same as one of my favorite Royal Viking ships. I sure does look like it! How we loved them.

Please pardon my ignorance...is "Bright Star" an announcement that is made when there is a death onboard?

"Bright Star" is the page made when there is a medical emergency. Responses I have seen are quite impressive and reassuring to me.

Is there any possibility that this photo of the Saga Ruby is one in the same as one of my favorite Royal Viking ships. I sure does look like it! How we loved them.

I was also a Big Fan of the Royal Viking line - Sun, Sea, Sky, and Star until they pulled up the gangway in the early 90s. But Saga Ruby and her sister ship, Saga Rose, come from the old Norwegian American Line (NAL) and were named Sagafjord and Vistafjord. I sailed on each ship with NAL and as the Saga Sisters.

Imagine my delight when I learned that HAL's Prinsendam is ex-Royal Viking Sun. I will be so happy to return to days of yesteryear next May when I board Prinsendam/Sun in Civitavecchia and sail to the Black Sea and Ukraine. Fortunately Prinsendam still has most of the original deck plans in place with the tiny little "corridors" that lead to each set of staterooms.

Decades ago, I misunderstood the John Masefield phrase about "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." I thought the guy said, "small ship" and have been sailing the Seven Seas ever since on comparatively small ships. Eurodam could run down one of my beloved small ships and barely feel a bump.

Ruby

Greg, you, Ruth, and Copper look great in that fabulous picture. Must say, I love the picture of that ice cream dessert. Even though you didn't get your upgrade, I bet it doesn't spoil the adventures on this next segment of the cruise.

Greg, is there a way to email the beverage manager on the ship? If anyone will know, I'm sure it will be you. Thanks.

Hi RevNeal: Great "Live from" posts. Been following them since you started the trip.

The Lifeboats have a 'Nassau' registration and the Eurodam has a 'Rotterdam' registration on the stern.

Correct ... as of our Tendering in Scotch-land all the tenders still had Nassau on them, while the ship has "Rotterdam." We've noticed that about half of the Life boats have "Rotterdam" on them, now. Perhaps they're doing a boat a day?? We don't know. It just looks weird.

The Eurodam, herself, was first registered with Nassau while she was still with Fincanteri (the yard that built her).

KK - my DH and I were each given tiles when we had the lunch in Southampton at the end of June. They are about six inches square, from memory. Unfortunately one of them was broken. They were much bigger than the ones we have of the Volendam but perhaps they are "special editions".

KK - my DH and I were each given tiles when we had the lunch in Southampton at the end of June. They are about six inches square, from memory. Unfortunately one of them was broken. They are much bigger than the ones we have of the Volendam but perhaps they are "special editions".

"Bright Star" is ship terminology for Code Blue and that's the reason for the response from crew.

Greg, please tell Ruth, "Bi Mir Bist DU Shayn", and I think you look just BOMBASTIC!

Too bad that you all adhere to HAL's "Nothing Overboard" policy, and too bad there's not an exclusion for rampant rugrats.

GN

Greg:

That you for the posts. Many of us learn so much from you and your experiences and I respect your views and opinions.

Can I make an observation that I have noted myself on two different cruises. The first thing you notice in the first few days of a cruise are the wonderful things about a ship and the services offered. Food is fabulous. Fellow passangers are fascinating. The few warts are forgivable. But by the end of the week long cruise and with the novelty worn off, the flaws are suddenly more noticable. The menu starts looking the same. It is natural to be less tolerant of affronts from staff and other passengers.

Are the views of the first few days more accurate than the views of the last few days?

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing?

RevNeal, Ruth, and John you look fabulous in your formal attire. Thank you for posting the pics and reviews. I was on vacation for 10 days so I missed reading your thread each day.

I hope the kid's parents "wise up" and get him under control, so that you can enjoy your dinner.

Greg, you look absolutely dashing and I'm so glad to see Ruth's smiling face:) .

Interesting demographic group you have aboard this time! I wonder if the young boy has some language translator device that he's helping the elders learn to use. Who knows?

Loving your reports and all your pictures ... have no idea what I'll do with this time I've reserved when you return.

What an amazing itinerary. Telling DH about it, he's all fired up for the fjords! I'm sure the Baltic will not disappoint!

Archived