Weather at HMC in Jan?

patrickmoran

It's all relative. Some Canadians and U.S. Northerners think our mid-Florida weather and water is just great in January, and we're wearing jackets and long sleeves/pants! :D

How is the weather on HMC in mid-January? Is the water warm? Thanks

I've been there in early December and early Feb. In Dec. we were barely able to get to shore. In Feb. we had to bypass the stop entirely. Both cases were due to high wind and wave action. Hopefully you will be lucky. The air temps were mild.

We stopped there on Jan 28th of this year. I was actually surprized we stopped as it was quite windy. Lots of the excursions were cancelled (I had booked Parasailing). air temperature that day was 72 but the water temp was 78. Once you got used to the water it was wonderful. But we are from Northern Canada and at home that day is was -28 centigrade. The beach at HMC that day was not as busy as a lot of people stayed on the ship. I believe that at that time of year there are some issues with the Trade winds in the Caribbean.

We've been there every month of the year. We have had rain in January and high seas. We have also had gloriously warm temps and bright sun.

You can encounter either or anything in between. The usual odds of being able to drop tenders and enjoy a day at the beach at HMC is around 20-25%. But those are the same odds in November and in April.

There have been times we arrived at HMC on a beautiful, sunny day and had to leave because the seas were too rough to safely use tenders. Risk of injury to crew or guest was too great.

While the weather may vary as Sail mentions, the water is indeed colder in January .. my DW will not swim, only enjoy the beach life Jan-Feb timeframe. March on the other hand is warm enough I can get her in the water.

harry

There can be a strong current at HMC..... that possibly is what brings in rough seas on beautiful bright sunny days. Maybe that current also brings in warm water sometimes because we were at HMC on Christmas Day on Rotterdam 1999 and the water was toasty warm. I, like Harry's wife, will only swim in Very warm water, and I know I have gone into the water in December, January, February..... and there were times during those months I did NOT go in the water as it was too cold. :) It truly is too unpredictable.

We have been to HMC at least 15+ times through the years....probably more and we have missed calling there at least 5 or 6 times.

Your information is helpful! I did the Volendam Southern Caribbean route almost two years ago and was looking at booking the Noordam for early November.

I didn't realize the chances of not having a beach day there were so high. (25-30%??) Dang! :(

Sorry to hear that, but like I said, I appreciate the info. :)

We were there this past December and the water was of an acceptable temperature. We were afraid that the water would be too cold...and it was very chilly when we were first getting in, but we got used to it very quickly and stayed in for a long time. It guess it is all subjective though...this past May we were on Princess Cays and the water was too cold then and we couldn't even stay in...it was much warmer on HMC in December.

We're anxious to see how it is on our February sailing. I'm concerned that we won't be able to get in but I really want to be able to enjoy the water on this beautiful island.

SORRY..... I made a BIG TYPO.

What I wrote is:

:

You can encounter either or anything in between. The usual odds of being able to drop tenders and enjoy a day at the beach at HMC is around 20-25%. But those are the same odds in November and in April.

What I omitted is 'NOT". I should have written the usual odds of NOT being able to drop tenders and enjoy......

The odds are about 75-80% from my experience they will be able to drop tenders and take us to the beach.

Sorry

Your information is helpful! I did the Volendam Southern Caribbean route almost two years ago and was looking at booking the Noordam for early November.

I didn't realize the chances of not having a beach day there were so high. (25-30%??) Dang! :(

Sorry..... I made a huge typo. The chances of them not being able to drop tenders is about 20-25%. The odds of being able to go to the beach are 75-80%.

Sorry to hear that, but like I said, I appreciate the info. :)

Archived