The First Insurance Reminder of the season!

Sometimes referred to as a Tropical Depression, Tropical Storm or Hurricane is building off the coast of Africa.

Just one more good reason to buy travel insurance!!!!

This one looks like it will go nowhere, but it does serve to remind everyone there is one way to insure your cruise is not ruined....

Nope, I do not sell insurance, but We do not cruise without it.

I personally am not a big fan of trip insurance unless it is a very expensive trip. My medical covers me for out of the country injuries/emergencies so I do not feel the cost of the travel insurance justifies the small (but possible) chance not being able to take the cruise.

I TOO HAVE NOT BEEN A BIG FAN OF INSURANCE BUT HAVE BEEN RE-THINKING IT.

My insurance covers me as well however my TA says that the insurance does not cover coast guard evac and you must be able to prove you can pay the $10,000 at time of pick up.

Some people say that you insure the amount you are not comfortable losing.

Cheap cruise vs a Mediteranean....etc

Few US health insurance polices cover this from a foreign country back to the US. The fees can run as high, if not higher, than $25,000.

But that is kinda different topic. My original thoughts were reduced cruise dates (ship cannot get back to home port to pick you up, extra hotel costs, etc.)

I've always been a fan of travel insurance -- not for health insurance during travel but just in case something happens and we can't go on the trip. For instance my daughter broke her arm and there was a possibility she might have had surgery which would have meant that we would have to cancel our FOS cruise on 7/13. As it turns out, my husband and I are able to go as planned but we would have lost our money if my daughter had surgery.

While everyone has to make their own determination as to the amount of risk they are comfortable with or can afford, there are other factors besides personal health issues that ought to be taken into consideration. The health of other members of the family, including those who may not be traveling with you, but whose death or serious illness might cause you to cancel or cut short your trip is just one. Weather conditions and job emergencies can create situations where your travel plans might have to change.

Whatever your decision, just make sure that you consider all relevant factors before making a decision concerning travel insurance.:)

For us, insurance isn't an option, we always take it just in case. A number of years ago, my sister in law couldn't get to her cruise because of snowy weather. She booked the airline on her own and didn't have travel insurance. She ended up spending a weekend in the Poconos as her honeymoon and didn't get a real vacation for about 3 years!!! Ever since then, we have bought insurance!!

Another thing to consider is the cost of a family member staying with you if you need to be hospitalised in a foreign country and their travel costs home if you are not able to fly on your original return date. This happened to me in Cyprus a few years ago. I had insurance but the extra costs were £2500.

Most insurance policys dont cover hurricanes. You need to read the fine print if that is a concern. I dont care what ports we miss. (and we are driving to the port for the next couple of years).

A hurricane is my only fear. We don't go for a couple of weeks so it may be a moot point. Hurricanes don't form to often - I know I'm from Miami.

I have never bought insurance. If I were to buy any insurance it would be Medijet only because that's where the big expense comes in, getting flown off the ship or home. It's quite cheap and only covers the flights.

My insurance covers me as well however my TA says that the insurance does not cover coast guard evac and you must be able to prove you can pay the $10,000 at time of pick up.

Your TA doesn't know the details of your health coverage. I would rather get this information directly from my health provider, than a TA who has a vested interest in selling you insurance.

My health provider covers us the same when we are out of the country, there are no limitations or exclusions, even for medical evacuation. The sad thing is that I have a feeling that many people just don't bother to check their coverage.

Who told you that the US Coast Guard would not pick you up without proof of payment? Do you think they would just let you die on the ship? Even in a foriegn country, I would think they would have more compassion than that.

Your TA doesn't know the details of your health coverage. I would rather get this information directly from my health provider, than a TA who has a vested interest in selling you insurance.

My health provider covers us the same when we are out of the country, there are no limitations or exclusions, even for medical evacuation. The sad thing is that I have a feeling that many people just don't bother to check their coverage.

Who told you that the US Coast Guard would not pick you up without proof of payment? Do you think they would just let you die on the ship? Even in a foriegn country, I would think they would have more compassion than that.

I thought I read somewhere here on CC that if the Coast Guard provides evacuation services, there is no charge?

Even so...I did call my health provider ahead of time to determine coverage. Nada...zip...zilch when out of the country EXCEPT for emergency care, at which point it is covered at a certain %. The problem is, once the person becomes stable, coverage ends. And they would never, under any circumstances, pay for other expenses related to an evacuation (extra hotel nights, meals, and the ultimate need to somehow get back home).

I personally am not willing to risk those costs and find the $200 we paid for our coverage well spent for the peace of mind. I hope its money wasted (meaning we don't need to exercise our coverage), but will be thrilled to have in the event something happens.

Archived