What Baltic excursions are best on RSSC?

40cub

We depart August 2nd for the Baltic cruise and are preparing to decide on some excursions for Visby, Tallin and Helsinki. Would appreciate any feedback from those who have already taken this cruise and can recommend which excursions they enjoyed the most. It is so hard to decide between the options offered since there is only time alloted to choose one (we are already booked on a private tour in St. Petersburg so that stop is taken care of). We have lots of on board credits to use so money isn't an issue! Thank you in advance for any advice ~

Tallin is probably our favorite stop on the Baltic tour. It is an easily walkable city. The main reason to take a tour is to learn about Estonia -- particularly it's recent history (starting in 1992 when they became free from the Solviet Union). Perhaps you could take a short city tour and leave enough time to explore the city on foot:-)

We are doing our own thing in Visby and Helsinki. In Tallinn, we are going to do the soviet Navy and KGB tour, but the only reason is that the occupation museum is closed on Mondays, and we are there on Monday. The tour says we visit there. My husband really wants to see it as he is a huge history buff. I have booked it, but I am going to check for sure on board to make sure that museum is included as otherwise, Tallinn would be easy to do on our own.

I vote with Tallinn as well. Our travel agent booked us on a Virtuoso tour in Tallinn, which included lunch at a charming restaurant. The guide was terrific, and covered those cobblestone streets in high heels better than I did in flat shoes!

We did Visby on our own; it was the last day of the annual Medieval Festival, so it was interesting to see people in costume all over the town.

I vote with Tallinn as well. Our travel agent booked us on a Virtuoso tour in Tallinn, which included lunch at a charming restaurant. The guide was terrific, and covered those cobblestone streets in high heels better than I did in flat shoes!

We did Visby on our own; it was the last day of the annual Medieval Festival, so it was interesting to see people in costume all over the town.

We may have been on the same tour (mid-Aug. 2006)! The guide was great (as was the food at the restaurant). Since that was a tour through Virtuoso rather than Regent, I'm not sure how someonoe would book a similar tour. We feel that much would have been missed without the background and discussions that we enjoyed on that tour. Walking around would be fine -- you'd just miss the stories (which in this particular city is particularly interesting).

RachelG ~ we will probably see you on the KGB/Navy tour in Tallin. We are also great history buffs! It will be disappointing if the museum is closed. If you hear any more on that we'd appreciate knowing as well. We are also taking a private Red October tour in St. Petersburg that will have some focus on WWII which I don't believe most people explore!

We may have been on the same tour (mid-Aug. 2006)! The guide was great (as was the food at the restaurant). Since that was a tour through Virtuoso rather than Regent, I'm not sure how someonoe would book a similar tour. We feel that much would have been missed without the background and discussions that we enjoyed on that tour. Walking around would be fine -- you'd just miss the stories (which in this particular city is particularly interesting).

Possibly! We spent a few days in Copenhagen, then left on the sailing of the 12th(?), and spent a few days in Stockholm before coming home. The weather was perfect the whole time; we were told everywhere how blisteringly hot it had been only a week or two before.

Yes -- we were on the same tour. We also spent a couple of nights in Copenhagen (beautiful city -- a bit pricey). The stories and background on Tallin were really amazing -- this was a tour I'll always remember.

If anyone reading this has an interest in caviar -- we took the caviar and vodka tour in St. Petersburg (very expensive -- not through Regent). We did this on my birthday -- really glad we did it, however, it was caviar overkill. There were four different tastings of caviar (large tastings with belini's -- probably misspelled that). Not wanting to waste the expensive caviar, I ate way too much. We went back to the ship where a small birthday cake was in our suite. By the time we dined at Signatures, I was still full from the caviar but managed to have a wonderful halibut (not a choice I would typically make for a special occasion). The meal was followed by yet another small birthday cake. The entertainment that night was amazing -- Russian entertainers. Following the entertainment was -- surprise...... caviar and vodka. . . very memorable:D

40cub, we will be looking for you. After we get on the ship, I am going to specifically question the excursion desk as to what is included on the Tallinn excursion. If the Museum of Occupation is not included, we will do Tallinn on our own. And if they say it is included but then it is not, I will ask for our money back as this is the single reason we are taking that tour.

In St. Petersburg, we have all 3 days scheduled with Anastasia. I am totally looking forward to it.

My husband is a huge history buff as are both my sons. Unfortunately, only the youngest son is with us on this trip. Oldest is serving in the US Marines. When the oldest was in Jr. High, maybe 7th grade, he read a wonderful book about the Danish resistance called "The Light in the Window". He loved it so much he convinced me to read it, and then our younger son read it. It really is a great book (read it before you go if you haven't already). Anyway, on our extra day before the cruise, the one thing we MUST visit in Copenhagen is the Resistance Museum.

I did a similar cruise on Cunard's Caronia several years ago and particularly enjoyed Tallinn, where I took a very informative walking tour. As another poster mentioned, it is a very walkable city.

Did Helsinki on my own - don't think it's been mentioned here, but you can purchase a Helsinki Card at most hotels . It's good for all public transport - buses, trams and ferries - plus admission to many museums.

In St. Petersburg, don't miss excursion to Peterhoff, the palace, not just the grounds. Amazing restoration of what was essentialy a pile of rubble when the siege ended.

Bob

Archived