Dining room attire - halters / thin strapes

LakerMom

We are leaving for our first cruise in three weeks. I started looking at my teenage daughters clothes to make sure they had approriate clothes. As I was going thru their clothes they had planned to take, I noticed that a lot of their shirts were the thin strap or halter cotton flowy shirts that usually tie in the back. I'm sure all you ladies will know exactly the type of shirts I am talking about.

I know that tank tops are not appropriate in the dining room but would a shirt like what I described above be appropriate?

We are leaving for our first cruise in three weeks. I started looking at my teenage daughters clothes to make sure they had approriate clothes. As I was going thru their clothes they had planned to take, I noticed that a lot of their shirts were the thin strap or halter cotton flowy shirts that usually tie in the back. I'm sure all you ladies will know exactly the type of shirts I am talking about.

I know that tank tops are not appropriate in the dining room but would a shirt like what I described above be appropriate?

Would you let them wear it out to a nice restaurant? If yes then it is probably OK, if no then you answered your own question. If I would wear to a nice restaurant then I will wear it on a cruise.

Would you let them wear it out to a nice restaurant? If yes then it is probably OK, if no then you answered your own question. If I would wear to a nice restaurant then I will wear it on a cruise.

Best advice, IMO. Myself, I took dresses for each night of my 7 day Legend cruise in May.

I think the tank tops the dress code is referring to are mens tank tops and exercise tank tops. There are many camisole type tops that one might mistake for tanks that are entirely appropriate for tanks. I agree with Sandy's advice. If you'd let them wear them to a nice restaurant then they will be fine.

I can fly non-rev and there is a dress code. I was reviewing it today and these dress codes threads remind me of the last statement made for the airline dress code....If you have to ask yourself if it's appropriate, it's probably not.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I had my daughters try on their shirts with their skirts and slacks just to make sure and I didn't see anything wrong with it at all.

I kind of figured that tanks were referred to as the athletic style tank top but I just thought I had better make sure so my girls don't feel out of place.

I have several formal looking shells that have spaghetti straps so yeah they can be dressy and thin strapped. My formal was a halter style with an open back so halters can work too.

Just go by the overall look. If it looks dressy and not beachy, they should feel comfortable in it.

I think the looks will be fine, especially with teenagers. Even at my not-so-teenage age, I feel comfortable wearing halter and/or thin strapped tops to the dining room. (Although, in my case, wearing them requires a more rigorous gym workout than your average teenager might have to endure.:cool: )

Just an FYI ... I brought lots of similar tops on the ship with me, but never wore them because it was always too cold for me on the ship.

Make sure they bring along some kind of wrap in case it is too cold!

:p

While I think their choices are fine. If they are worried about blending in with the other teens you might pack a few more formal things just in case, if you have room. The teens on board our ship really went all out on the nights they hit the dining room. It was nice to see the younger people go that extra step even though they knew they didn't have to. They seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

I can fly non-rev and there is a dress code. I was reviewing it today and these dress codes threads remind me of the last statement made for the airline dress code....If you have to ask yourself if it's appropriate, it's probably not.

dressing up a bit,for that extra good look, but comfy for next weeks flight to LGW, from ATL, and hoping for a 1st class upgrade..both flights I'm listed for are 1/2 full in 1st and coach..so cross all parts for me..tx, lucky

Just an FYI ... I brought lots of similar tops on the ship with me, but never wore them because it was always too cold for me on the ship.

Make sure they bring along some kind of wrap in case it is too cold!

:p

I cruised in May of this year and wore the halter tops and dressy spaghetti straps tops with a skirt and capris. Froze my fanny off. ;)

Good thing I always take a wrap with me and used it faithfully. Gets a bit nipply in there:eek:

I have been on cruises where the teens brought every formal they ever owned and wore them whether it was formal night or not. Might as well get their/your money's worth out of those dresses...EM

I agree sport tanks would not be approriate wear for the dinning room, but if you have a "fancy" tank top it would be approriate, halters and thin spaghetti straps are more revealing than a tank top imo

my dd just bought a white skirt and a green tank top with a flowery design for our cruise and I thought it looked nice for you a young person on casual night but after reading these post I am thinking she may need to get a different top

Archived