Probably a silly question

My DH would like to know about what percentage of people bring a laptop on their cruise. I know that sounds ridiculous, but thats what he said. "On a typical cruise, about what percentage of the people bring a laptop with them to use". Anybody want to venture a guess?

My DH would like to know about what percentage of people bring a laptop on their cruise. I know that sounds ridiculous, but thats what he said. "On a typical cruise, about what percentage of the people bring a laptop with them to use". Anybody want to venture a guess?

I hope he does not plan on working on vacation.

I will venture a guess: 10%. But that is only a guess.

I always bring my laptop when I travel, in order to manage my photos. I also enjoy having it for my writing. DH always brings his and his GPS/AIS so that we can see where we are going and who else is out there.

Leslie

Would definitely be a GUESS, but would say 10-20%.

I always take mine, but not to work, and don't pay for internet/email. I use it to download pictures from my camera each evening. Aso, on the flights to and fro, it works great as a portable DVD player, and we watch movies - have dual headphones that my wife and I listen through. ;)

Hope This Helps.

I bring it to download my photos (and get them organized) as I go along. On ships that have in cabin internet access, I'll use it to post to the internet, otherwise I usually just rely on the ships computers for that.

As much as I love my laptop, I have never brought it and now with airline baggage restrictions increasing I doubt I ever will. I occasionally briefly go online on board the ship and then if I have some down time at port find an internet cafe on land where I can get a good rate. My wife also likes me leaving the laptop at home so we can have more quality time. :cool:

I bring mine with me anywhere I travel to just for the fact of uploading pictures to it and not having to worry on vacation that I dont have enough memory in my cammera. But thats just me!:D As for people bringing them on cruises I dont know, I am still looking forward to taking my first one!

Maybe the first question should be, of those people on a given cruise, what percentage even OWN a laptop? Maybe under 20%, probably less. That in itself will be low. And, of those, how many barely even use it at home. Maybe half? Take another group of people out of the mix.

Personally, I do not think I have taken any vacation in probably 10 years without my laptop. Yep, I do a little work, which helps me relax. Do some other stuff that I never get around to while at home. We watch movies on the plane, or listen to music. We download pictures from the camera. We were stuck in an airport for 6 hours once, and watch movies saved our sanity. Also have watched movies or listened to music while in the cabin.

Do I think everyone else should take their laptop. No. Everybody has a different situation.

I do ... as others have said, it is good for managing and downloading pictures. I also like having it to surf the web from my hotel room when I arrive a day early. Of course, it is an pain in the rear to take on a plane and on the ship (out of the bag, out of the case, then back in the case, back in the bag). I've used mine for wireless on the ship occasionally, as well.

NO! NO! NO! :eek:

I work on a computer all day, the last thing I want to SEE on vacation is a computer!

And for my photos? An extra memory card for my camera is considerably smaller than my laptop!

Guest carlogesualdo

I took mine last cruise because I was in my last week of school and still had work to do. This time - no way! I am bringing an extra memory stick for my camera instead and I will simply keep a few notes about where we've been so I'll know what my pictures are about when we get back. I was constantly worried about where to hide it because it doesn't fit in the room safe. This time, it will be at my office where it will be "relatively" safe. Besides, that's just something extra to find room for in a suitcase and lug around through security. Portable DVD players are a lot cheaper and smaller for the purposes of actually playing DVDs, AND they can be hooked up to the TV. Or better yet (maybe), get a video mp3 player.

We brought our laptop for the first time a few weeks ago on Mariner. It was our first time cruising without our kids and I wanted to be able to check in with them via email daily. It turned out that our stateroom was it's own wi-fi hotspot. We were in 7622 directly across the hall from the library, and it worked well right on the desk in our cabin. :)

I work on a computer all day, the last thing I want to SEE on vacation is a computer!

And for my photos? An extra memory card for my camera is considerably smaller than my laptop!

Yeah, that's exactly my feeling. I take vacations to Get Away from computers! I don't need to download and scroll thru and organize all my pictures while ON the cruise - that's when I should be Taking Pictures! Sorting and all that other hoo hah can wait until I'm back at boring home.

Doing something with the digital camera would be the ONLY reason I'd carry that much extra weight. (I guess those who do must drive to port!!) Going online is slow and tedious and it's just not worth the trouble. One week without being "connected" is a GOOD thing!

1. I have never taken a laptop with me on a cruise. I post to CC from the ship's computers. :D

2. Nancy took hers on our Crown Princess cruise; that's how we posted LIVE during the list.

3. I am contemplating taking it for the first time, when I am on the Mariner for 53 days. Just for downloading photos, it may be worth it, even though I am taking two 2GB memory sticks. I am also trying to finagle a deal with internet charges so that I can keep everyone informed about our unique sailing on a Voyager class ship around South America. ;)

We take ours so we can webcam with our toddlers every day. It makes us miss each other less and then Mommy doesn't feel so guilty! It's nice to chat over cheerios and they also like to see us all dressed up before dinner.

We can download pictures and even watch movies on the plane.

I agree!!!!!!

I have dual screens in front of me all day, every day, so the last thing I want to do on vacation is look at a computer screen. If I feel the need to surf the net, or want to send an email, I use the ship's computers (although they are agonizingly sloooooowwwww!).

As for pictures, I have a 4GB SDHC memory card in the camera and also bring along an extra one. It's much easier to lug around than my laptop.

Can't say as I blame some folks for not wanting to get near a computer on their vacations! Lol

I haul an older laptop along. That way if something happens to it, it's not a disaster.

Primary use is for photos. If I keep them organized in small bits, I'll actually do something with them when I get home. Otherwise they'll never get viewed at all.

I'm seriously considering one of those "Flip" digital camcorders for the next cruise and they will only hold about an hour's worth of video. If I can dump that to the laptop, I'll get a lot more use out of it.

The laptop's other main use is notes from the day that help me write a review for CC when I get back home. I'll forget things if I don't write 'em down somewhere!

I do bring my laptop on board, yet not for work! I mainly use it to go on the internet from my room instead of going to RC Online. I think those computers are slower and you don't have as much privacy. I also use my laptop to play small games when I get bored, such as solitare or free cell. I agree that it is a vacation and we should all relax! Anyway, I love bringing my laptop and wouldn't feel right without it!!!

Archived