Princess' new bedding program

Maverick430

Is there any way to ask for an egg crate before you get on the ship? Like on your account on princess.com somewhere? I asked on my last cruise but they were out even on the first day. So if they were out right away there has to be some way to request in advance.

Thanks

Is there any way to ask for an egg crate before you get on the ship? Like on your account on princess.com somewhere? I asked on my last cruise but they were out even on the first day. So if they were out right away there has to be some way to request in advance.

Thanks

You can fax the request before your cruise to Princess if you would like. About 50% of the time the request has gotten through for us, the other 50% we have to ask the room steward as soon as we get onboard.

Yes, when we drive to the port. It fits in a suit case and we can still put clothes around it. I know its a little extreme, but we always know we will have a good night sleep when we bring it. We also brought it on our Carnival and RCCL cruises and we used it. Carnival's bed wasn't that great, RCCL's bed was good but we had the air mattress so we used it.

You know, you have to do what it takes to sleep at night. I'm excited to experience the Crown. NCL was like sleeping on a military cot. You know hundreds of people are sleeping in the same bed, so maybe the firmer ones tend to hold up better.

Since we drive to our ports we take less clothes and a tempur pedic air mattress and I am not kidding. We almost stopped cruising and my wife said lets buy one. We did, and its great and I owe it all to my lovely wife for the two best suggestions ever to bring on a cruise, an air mattress and a sound machine.

Our room stewards look at us and laugh, we even had one ask if she could take a picture and we said sure.

We sleep on a tempur pedic at home and we can't handle a spring mattress anymore, so that is why we are fussy about what we sleep on.

What a great idea!!! However, if I pack any more luggage on my cruises, my DH will absolutely kill me!!!:eek: And you can all read my obituary: "Here lies Gina, She just packed tooooooo much this time."

But, seriously, in decades of sailing on many, many lines, I have never asked for an egg crate because it was never, ever THAT uncomfortable and/or necessary. This mattress on the Island Princess was the hardest thing I have ever attempted to sleep on. This new development on Princess could just end up being a dealbreaker for us with Princess after years of sailing with them. I don't ever wish to suffer like that again...especially like the 19 days we just did in April. Although I will say the mattress we had in a our mini on the Diamond this February was fine. Since we only had a balcony on the Island, could that be the reason we had such an awful mattress? (Nah!) If that were the case, booking a mini could be a solution, expensive, but a solution to not becoming a cripple who gets no sleep while cruising.

We prefer a firm mattress and firm pillows as well, but there is a fine line between firm and rock solid. I agree with another poster who indicated that they are probably firm in order to hold up better against the thousands of people that will be sleeping on them.

I think we'll just give them a shot and if they are no good, we'll ask for the eggcrate and/or extra sheets/duvet underneath.

Hi,

You can fax the following info to 1-661-284-4885 Attn: Customer Relations.

Your Name, Ship Name, Booking #, Voyage #, Cabin # and Sailing Date. And of course that you'd like to request an egg crate mattress topper.

I did this for a prior cruise and got a 50/50 response rate - 2 cabins got them, 2 did not. We asked for them to be added to the other 2 once onboard and they did so before the first night of sleep.

This was on the Crown...so I'm not sure if the beds were too hard or not, since I had the egg crate. They were comfortable with it.

You won't get any sort of confirmation for your request, like on the Cruise Personalizer or any other response. Just hope for the best!

Thanks

Another rude posting - it would have taken just the same amount of time to give the poster the explanation he was asking:confused:

A duvet is also known as a continental quilt - bedding which originated in the Scandinavian countries. It comes in several 'tog' strengths ranging from 4.5 to 15 (these denote the warm of the quilts) and the fillings can range from goose and duck down, feathers, or man-made fibres. The duvet has a cover which can be removed and laundered. They are extremely widely used in the UK and I had thought they would have been quite well known in the US although I know that the hotels we have stayed in in the US do usually have sheets and blankets.

Thanks for your reply

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

From what I hear the newer ships such as the crown are suppose to have better softer beds. Can anyone confirm this?

Went on the Crown Nov. 2007 and the bed was hard as a rock! If you can sleep on your floor, you'll sleep just fine on their mattress.

We just got back from a fabulous 12 night Mediterranean cruise on Emerald Princess and in our balcony cabin we had absolutely beautiful bedding (I didn't realize it was all new!!) -duvet, etc. I am a bit paranoid about pillows but even they were just great! The beds were extremely comfortable or maybe we were just so tired every night from all the great port activities that we didn't notice if they were hard or not. However I know they were NOT nearly as hard as the bed in our hotel in Venice--now that was hard!! Good to know that egg crates are available if needed. I could have used one on Grandeur of the Seas two years ago---worst bed ever!

You are lucky CC has rules covering postings or I'd tell you what I think of your egotistical & self rightous attitude.

Bob

Amen and right on Bob, I felt the same way when I read that sarcastic comment. :mad: Hope they never misspell any words otherwise I'd think they didn't know how to use their on-line dictionary! Regards, John:p

We were on the Star in June on the Dolphin deck. This was our sixth Princess cruise. We had never before been disappointed in the bedding. We thought the beds were GREAT. On this cruise, however, we begged the cabin steward for an egg crate topper after the first night. He told us the mattress was NEW. I thought he had to be mistaken. Surely they had forgotten to replace the mattress in D323.:confused: Now I find out that THIS IS THE NEW BEDDING, and we have a ten night cruise booked on the Island this fall. The egg crate topper is no solution for this problem. I don't think a cement floor could feel any different. What was Princess thinking? They need to try Serta-Hilton Suite Dreams Perfect Sleeper. Now that is GREAT MATTRESS!! But then, I guess they couldn't get cruisers to buy excursions. They would all want to stay in the beds.:D

Sometimes there is TOO MUCH information on this board! I should just stay out of here.

I was so excited about my cruise and then I read about the ROCK hard beds, neither my hubby nor I can sleep in this! UGH:( We too have had our very comfy memory foam mattress for nearly 5 years now! and it is like a marshmallow to me! Egg crates wont do the trick, we tried that on my son, didnt diguse the hard mattress.

I hope the Diamond has old beds still.....LOL, it is bad enough a 3 hour time difference and now hard beds, how will I EVER sleep! :eek:

Guess you will find me either in the buffet eating all night or sleeping on a couch in the lounge area's! HEE HEE:p

We have one of those beds where each side is adjustable, DW likes soft and I like firm so it works out great. I still love my queen bed we have in a spare room from when I was single. DW calls it the "Fred Flintstone Bed" cause it's so firm. I love it!

Sleep on my stomach and I don't like to sink down in the middle! :D

Guess I'll be sleeping good. Hope DW doesn't see this thread!

If Princess decided that replacing these 'NEW and IMPROVED' top of the line mattresses wasn't within reason. I would hope with enough complaints from passengers they would at least consider some memory foam mattress pads (at the very least). It would really improve the quality of the comfort, and the mattresses would still be firm for those that really wanted that firm mattress but give those of us that are miserable on them a choice also. The egg crates aren't a lot of improvement, they do help a little, but it would take 3 or 4 of them to make any kind of comfortable sleep for us.

If Princess decided that replacing these 'NEW and IMPROVED' top of the line mattresses wasn't within reason. I would hope with enough complaints from passengers they would at least consider some memory foam mattress pads (at the very least). It would really improve the quality of the comfort, and the mattresses would still be firm for those that really wanted that firm mattress but give those of us that are miserable on them a choice also. The egg crates aren't a lot of improvement, they do help a little, but it would take 3 or 4 of them to make any kind of comfortable sleep for us.

I wish a cruise line would consider offering tempur pedic beds in some cabins. Maybe in suites? Tempur pedic beds have a 20 your warranty and in 4 years our bed has kept is shape with out doing one thing to it, with so many people sleeping on the beds if a tempur pedic could stand up to the beating it would be worth the extra money to the cruise line because they wouldn't have to replace it.

Vol77...do you have any more cruise photos anywhere out there? We talked the other day about the Valor....would love to see your photos (if you have any).

Great idea on the bed... I just don't know if I can fit in my luggage though.

Maybe they will rethink and put softer beds on the Ruby when she sails. I hope so as we are booked. However I don't like a hard bed and found the bed on Island with an eggcrate just fine. maybe I was so tired I didn't notice!

I am obsessive about my bed, pillows, sheets, light and whatever. Before we got the mattress we have at home I researched and lay on bunches of mattresses. That being said, the last cruise we had on the Emerald Princess, I slept like a baby. We looked at Tempurpedic mattresses and for some of us whose thermostats tend to run hot, they are not a desirable option. With all my quirks about sleeping, I thought our bed on the Emerald was more than satisfactory.

Ann

I am obsessive about my bed, pillows, sheets, light and whatever. Before we got the mattress we have at home I researched and lay on bunches of mattresses. That being said, the last cruise we had on the Emerald Princess, I slept like a baby. We looked at Tempurpedic mattresses and for some of us whose thermostats tend to run hot, they are not a desirable option. With all my quirks about sleeping, I thought our bed on the Emerald was more than satisfactory.

Ann

There are very few people that run as "hot" as me, and I live in FL. I am usually fine with our tempur pedic bed. It the best bed I have ever slept on and its firm, but soft all at the same time...its hard to explain. I know one thing I will never own another kind of bed...especially one with springs.

Someone else was kind enough to answer you, but I say: Ever hear of Google? Or Wikipedia? Or a dictionary (online or paper)?.... etc.

Gosh, this newfangled internet thingy is just amazing, isn't it?

;)

Signed, KW, who becomes an "instant expert" on everything under the sun through the magic of the Web!

There is no need to be rude here. Your tone is anything but helpful.

Sometimes there is TOO MUCH information on this board! I should just stay out of here.

I was so excited about my cruise and then I read about the ROCK hard beds, neither my hubby nor I can sleep in this! UGH:( We too have had our very comfy memory foam mattress for nearly 5 years now! and it is like a marshmallow to me! Egg crates wont do the trick, we tried that on my son, didnt diguse the hard mattress.

I hope the Diamond has old beds still.....LOL, it is bad enough a 3 hour time difference and now hard beds, how will I EVER sleep! :eek:

Guess you will find me either in the buffet eating all night or sleeping on a couch in the lounge area's! HEE HEE:p

Ya know what? Don't sweat it. Order an eggcrate, the rest is great.

We were soooo comfy, and the linens are terrific -- satin striped and soft!

We also have a wedge (put under the head of the bed). I liked it if I was awake and reading, but it's hard to sleep with and a hassle to take off, so we'll pass on that this time.

Enjoy, it will all be great!

Tee

Archived