Princess' new bedding program

Maverick430

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=347#cabins

I was reading the information presented in the above link, and found that princess has put new luxury bedding into the crown princess and now placing it in its entire fleet. I was told the bedding is similar to what Holland America uses. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the new bedding? Sounds really nice.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=347#cabins

I was reading the information presented in the above link, and found that princess has put new luxury bedding into the crown princess and now placing it in its entire fleet. I was told the bedding is similar to what Holland America uses. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the new bedding? Sounds really nice.

The duvets are very nice, but also very hot if you are sailing in a warmer climate. We always ask for a top sheet under the duvet as it doesn't come standard on the beds. They consider the duvet the blanket and top sheet.

The pillows are nice too.

The only complaint (which I have voiced many times) is that the new mattresses Princess has placed in the staterooms are hard as a rock. So, unless you are used to an ultra firm mattress, they aren't very comfy. Requesting an egg crate foam mattress pad for us on top of the new mattress is the only way we can tolerate a mattress this hard.

After sleeping on the Island Princess for 19 nights in April, I thought I would never recover from the pain in my back. We were in a balcony cabin, and the hardness of the bed was the worst in all our decades of sailing. Please don't tell me THAT was their new bedding????? :eek: And to top it off, the next morning (2nd day) I asked for an egg crate. No more were left, so I suffered for the first week; and then requested our steward place 2 duvets under our sheet so that I had some padding on top of the bed to lay on. It offered some improvement but certainly wasn't comfortable at all. Shame on Princess for the worst bedding on the high seas!!!

After sleeping on the Island Princess for 19 nights in April, I thought I would never recover from the pain in my back. We were in a balcony cabin, and the hardness of the bed was the worst in all our decades of sailing. Please don't tell me THAT was their new bedding????? :eek:

New BEDDING are sheets and pillows and duvet.

What you had WAS the new mattress that Princess is adding. Lovely weren't they? NOT!

New BEDDING are sheets and pillows and duvet.

What you had WAS the new mattress that Princess is adding. Lovely weren't they? NOT!

Bedding is subjective. I love a firm mattress, while my wife loves a soft mattress. Every cruise I've been on was great with the bedding, with the exception of NCL. I don't understand why Princess doesn't use the same mattresses that are on HAL or Carnival since so many seem to love them.

Thank you everyone for the information so far.

Since we drive to our ports we take less clothes and a tempur pedic air mattress and I am not kidding. We almost stopped cruising and my wife said lets buy one. We did, and its great and I owe it all to my lovely wife for the two best suggestions ever to bring on a cruise, an air mattress and a sound machine.

Our room stewards look at us and laugh, we even had one ask if she could take a picture and we said sure.

We sleep on a tempur pedic at home and we can't handle a spring mattress anymore, so that is why we are fussy about what we sleep on.

After sleeping on the Island Princess for 19 nights in April, I thought I would never recover from the pain in my back. We were in a balcony cabin, and the hardness of the bed was the worst in all our decades of sailing. Please don't tell me THAT was their new bedding????? :eek: And to top it off, the next morning (2nd day) I asked for an egg crate. No more were left, so I suffered for the first week; and then requested our steward place 2 duvets under our sheet so that I had some padding on top of the bed to lay on. It offered some improvement but certainly wasn't comfortable at all. Shame on Princess for the worst bedding on the high seas!!!

I once made the mistake of asking for eggcrate matress toppers the 2nd day and almost didn't receive them. The steward had to find them on other decks for us, which was nice.

On another voyage, they were out of the eggcrates the FIRST day. Our steward put two blankets under the sheet, which made things tolerable.

On my last voyage when I asked the steward for the eggcrates, he lifted the bedding and proudly pointed out that we had brand new matresses. I'm glad I actually felt them. They were very hard. I told him I would like the eggcrates nevertheless, lol.

Princess mattresses are really uncomforable without some sort of auxiliary pad. It's a huge flaw in the Princess experience for the uninitiated. I can easily see why some of us like flvol77 are pushed to extreme measures! If Princess didn't suit me in so many other ways, I would have moved on long ago.

I know this is a dumb question, but just what exactly is a "Duvet?"

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Since we drive to our ports we take less clothes and a tempur pedic air mattress and I am not kidding. We almost stopped cruising and my wife said lets buy one. We did, and its great and I owe it all to my lovely wife for the two best suggestions ever to bring on a cruise, an air mattress and a sound machine.

Our room stewards look at us and laugh, we even had one ask if she could take a picture and we said sure.

We sleep on a tempur pedic at home and we can't handle a spring mattress anymore, so that is why we are fussy about what we sleep on.

Do you do this on all your cruises?

I once made the mistake of asking for eggcrate matress toppers the 2nd day and almost didn't receive them. The steward had to find them on other decks for us, which was nice.

On another voyage, they were out of the eggcrates the FIRST day. Our steward put two blankets under the sheet, which made things tolerable.

On my last voyage when I asked the steward for the eggcrates, he lifted the bedding and proudly pointed out that we had brand new matresses. I'm glad I actually felt them. They were very hard. I told him I would like the eggcrates nevertheless, lol.

Princess mattresses are really uncomforable without some sort of auxiliary pad. It's a huge flaw in the Princess experience for the uninitiated. I can easily see why some of us like flvol77 are pushed to extreme measures! If Princess didn't suit me in so many other ways, I would have moved on long ago.

From what I hear the newer ships such as the crown are suppose to have better softer beds. Can anyone confirm this?

I know this is a dumb question, but just what exactly is a "Duvet?"

Someone else was kind enough to answer you, but I say: Ever hear of Google? Or Wikipedia? Or a dictionary (online or paper)?.... etc.

Gosh, this newfangled internet thingy is just amazing, isn't it?

;)

Signed, KW, who becomes an "instant expert" on everything under the sun through the magic of the Web!

Someone else was kind enough to answer you, but I say: Ever hear of Google? Or Wikipedia? Or a dictionary (online or paper)?.... etc.

;)

Signed, KW, who becomes an "instant expert" on everything under the sun through the magic of the Web!

You are lucky CC has rules covering postings or I'd tell you what I think of your egotistical & self rightous attitude.

Bob

Do you do this on all your cruises?

Yes, when we drive to the port. It fits in a suit case and we can still put clothes around it. I know its a little extreme, but we always know we will have a good night sleep when we bring it. We also brought it on our Carnival and RCCL cruises and we used it. Carnival's bed wasn't that great, RCCL's bed was good but we had the air mattress so we used it.

We're considering our first Princess cruise and from all the extensive research we've done (both on this site, the Princess website, and the internet) Princess Cruise Line appears to offer a truly wonderful cruise experience with very few negatives as compared to other cruise lines at or under our budget.

However, for a week long cruise, we'd be extremely disappointed if our mattress was as hard as a rock. I appreciate those of you who prefer a more firm mattress, but there are mattresses available that are firm, without feeling like cement, which would appeal to a larger population of cruisers.

Princess needs to hear us. I'd be happy to start a new thread, requesting anyone interested to send e-mails and letters to Princess customer service about their mattresses.

The address on their website is:

Princess Cruises

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Is this the best customer service snail mail address? If someone can provide me with a Princess customer service e-mail address I'll add that to the thread also (I don't see one on their site).

Hard mattress lovers please don't flame me! I'm new here and just trying to be proactive in having Princess put in mattresses that will satisfy (almost) everyone! Thanks in advance.

;)

Another rude posting - it would have taken just the same amount of time to give the poster the explanation he was asking:confused:

A duvet is also known as a continental quilt - bedding which originated in the Scandinavian countries. It comes in several 'tog' strengths ranging from 4.5 to 15 (these denote the warm of the quilts) and the fillings can range from goose and duck down, feathers, or man-made fibres. The duvet has a cover which can be removed and laundered. They are extremely widely used in the UK and I had thought they would have been quite well known in the US although I know that the hotels we have stayed in in the US do usually have sheets and blankets.

Princess needs to hear us. I'd be happy to start a new thread, requesting anyone interested to send e-mails and letters to Princess customer service about their mattresses.

The address on their website is:

Princess Cruises

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Is this the best customer service snail mail address? If someone can provide me with a Princess customer service e-mail address I'll add that to the thread also (I don't see one on their site).

Hard mattress lovers please don't flame me! I'm new here and just trying to be proactive in having Princess put in mattresses that will satisfy (almost) everyone! Thanks in advance.

Although we are passengers that think the new mattresses are some of the worst we have ever seen, I honestly don't think this would do any good at all.

Since princess is adding these to all their ships, they aren't going to toss them overboard and order different ones because some think they are too hard (us included).

I for one was really looking forward to the new mattresses, but never needed the egg crate in the past with the old ones, but now can't handle the beds without them. I think the most we can ask for is that they stock more mattress pads onboard to make sleeping more comfortable in this day of pillow tops and tempur pedic lovers.

I'm right there with you...there's nothing like a Tempurpedic mattress! We have the adjustable vibrating extra long twins that push together for a queen. I miss sleeping on our Tempurpedic so much when I'm away from home. Will have to check into the Tempurpedic air mattress. Thanks.

Archived