Portable DVD players

spammie

Wanda,

Rather than concentrate your start on the brand, are you interested in a device that plays DVD or blu-ray disks? Since a DVD player could eventually go the way of a betamax, have you considered getting a fairly inexpensive one on eBay?

I have an older Samsung portable DVD player which I like a lot. 10 inch screen. While I can not recommend any specific one, things to consider:

Battery life: the longer the better. Look for something with 5 hours if you can find it (2 movies on one long flight)

Screen size: They go from 7 to 12 inches, bigger screens are easier to see, but also bulkier to carry

Number of headphone jacks: If there are more than one person, it is handy

Sound volume: the louder the better since you are on an airplane (or get some good sound canceling headphones

Tim

I would look on CNET.com or Amazon.com and read the reviews on them. Each one has different features and functions and what one person may like, you may not. They also have a wide range of prices to go with them. Starting at around $79 for a very basic model up to $300 for the fancy models.

Wanda,

Rather than concentrate your start on the brand, are you interested in a device that plays DVD or blu-ray disks? Since a DVD player could eventually go the way of a betamax, have you considered getting a fairly inexpensive one on eBay?

My 2cents...

Sure DVD will some day go the way of Betamax or VHS, not nearly as fast as we think. Regardless Ebay is NOT the place to get a cheap portable DVD player. Target, Bestbuy, Wallmart would be safe places to look for a reasonable unit.

Blueray is going now where fast, since the demise of HD-DVD the price drop of Blue-ray has slowed to a snails pace. Amazing what happens when you take competition away.

Today the consumer can get an upscale DVD player for under a hundred bucks. A BR player runs 4x that, the quality delta between BR and DVD even on a 1080p is real but not compelling to the average person to upgrade even for their multi thousand spanky new display.

For a portable DVD player there is NO BR that I'm aware. Just boring and more suitable standard DVD and on a 10" screen you won't see any difference. Lastly for 100 to 200 bucks not worth even worrying about. Personally would not spend more then 150 bucks for a DVD regardless of the preceived features. I was at Costco and they had a nice one for under 200 I think. It included earphones, dual plugs. Get a spare battery and you'll be good for anything but the longest transatlantic flights.

Happy shopping!

I have a Magnavox, and my take on this is if it's something that I will only use once in a while, I go for adequate performance with the lowest price.

I went to BestBuy and also bought the extra battery pack, so I would have up to 10 hours of playing time.

It has an adjustable "swing-out" screen which I like, and also has the dual jack for two people to watch at the same time.

I also went to Target and got one of those fold out travel cosmetic bags, black with handles. It has a big compartment on each side when opened up, and the DVD player fits on one side, and the battery pack, cords, headphones, remote control, etc. fit in the other side. DVD discs to in the outside zipper pocket. Zip it all up, and it's a very handy and compact way to carry all of it in one place. Just pull it out from the carry-on.

My DD and I bought one a few months ago for our frequent 4 1/2 hour flights to Vegas. It's great, as airline movies, if or when they show them, are often not to our liking.

We got a Zenith for a little over $100 at BestBuy, and it has a very clear picture. The screen tilts and swivels, making it easy to adjust it so we can both see it easily, and it has 2 earphone jacks. We also each got an earphone set, JVC, at WalMart for $20 apiece, that reduce external sound. That made a huge difference. Those little ear buds are so good I use them to block out the sound of crying babies and other disturbing noises, even when we're not watching a movie.

We did also get an extra battery in case we want to watch 2 movies during the same flight.

Archived