New Dress Code Clarifications! PLEASE READ!

Host Anne

Hello everyone ~ I wish I had more info to report but as of this time, I haven't received anything else. As soon as we receive anything else, I'll post it.

Thanks Host Anne, your efforts are greatly appreciated.:) I think they are still in their huddle at =X= corporate offices in Miami and shocked at all the recent interest in the dress codes. Hopefully the huddle will break soon and they will have something official to say and post here and on their website.:rolleyes:

Here is the email I just sent Celebrity:

As you are probably aware, this topic has really produced a firestorm of controversy. As a frequent viewer of the Cruise Cirtic website, I have offered my two cents on the subject as well. Personally, we enjoy the fine traditions of cruising, and choose to dress at or above the recommended dress codes each night. However, there are some that continue to try and twist Celebrity's stated dress codes to serve their needs, including people who are now saying that "jeans are pants." Immature as it may sound, there are some people who just don't get it. It is my hope that, to end the confusion, Celebrity will more clearly define "smart casual" in a way that either allows for jeans (which I hope NEVER happens), or states in the description of "smart casual" that jeans are not allowed. Hopefully that will clear up the confusion once and for all. Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion, and we hope that people will "get it" by the time our innaugural Solstice cruise is upon us.

Let's hope they add the wordds "no jeans" to their website so that it can be spelled out clearly. Heck, paint it on the side of the ship too, just in case.

You would think but read the reply from Celebrity posted by Host Anne – first post on this thread and see if it still makes sense to you.

Since the pre-August Evening wear dress code on the X website shows No jeans in bold type and the post Aug 1 only mentions 'Pants (no holes, rips or tears)' and I can't remember any pants other than jeans having rips, holes or tears as a 'fashion statement' , I, a first time cruiser, all these threads aside, am going on the cruise assuming that I may if I choose wear jeans in the main dining room except on formal nights. Even the 'clarification' requests that passengers 'refrain' from wearing jeans, but does not state that jeans are prohibited. Since most of the 2000 passengers on the Millenium sailing August 15th will not be reading Cruise Critic postings and I have not seen that confusing clarification that Anne posted anywhere else (thanks for being here, guys, the posts have been very helpful!) I expect to encounter jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights.

That being said, I'll wear the slacks and Sport Jacket I am bringing for dinner. But given that a friend who just returned from an Infinity Cruise in June, tellls me that less than 10% of the men wore Tuxes on formal night, I'm glad I didn't order formal wear delivered to our stateroom.

There are so many of us who cherish and love the onboard experience with Celebrity. They must have their best people on the ships and not in the home office. It drives me crazy when they do something like this where they totally mess up the communication of the new dress code. For those of us who are cruise information junkies it can be really frustrating.

I was traveling last week and only had a few occasions to check my lap top and not my e-mail. I saw that the word jeans had been removed from the website, and I saw Anne's post, but when I got home from my trip I had the e-mail, dated 7/15 that said "jeans are discouraged but no one will be turned away for wearing them". I sent the e-mail right back to Celebrity, referenced Anne's posting and asked them to provide me with the correct information.

I'm really getting frustrated with the poor quality of information coming from Celebrity on this topic. I wish they would provide some consistency on this issue.

However, there are some that continue to try and twist Celebrity's stated dress codes to serve their needs, including people who are now saying that "jeans are pants." Immature as it may sound, there are some people who just don't get it.

Hmmmm...

I guess this goes slightly beyond keeping our opinions and discussions within these boards !!!!

Why not just ask Celebrity to clarify this for all of us, without the disparaging remarks?

Roy

I have been reading these dress code posts for days and had thought that I would just read and keep my mouth shut, but I have to admit that I am curious about something, and, so, I decided to write to ask this question:

I read several other cruise line boards on the Cruise Critic website in addition to the one for Celebrity, such as Carnival, Costa, Crystal, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess and RCCL. However, I have not seen anywhere near the amount of discussion and disagreement about dress codes on the other boards as on Celebrity's. Why do you think that is?

After over 50 cruises, over 60% of which have been with Celebrity, it is my personal opinion that jeans should not be appropriate attire for dinner in the main dining room or any of the specialty restaurants on ANY cruise ship, regardless which line. During the day for breakfast and lunch, I see absolutely no problem at all with jeans being worn in the dining room, but, please, just not at night for dinner. Just my opinion.

Nada ~ this is my opinion only....it's because there are so many confusing things that are communicated to people. There isn't one clear, consistent message regarding a change in policy. That creates frustration...regardless of the topic. People just want to know what the "real" policy is going to be.

I'm still hoping for further clarification....

As you are probably aware, this topic has really produced a firestorm of controversy. As a frequent viewer of the Cruise Cirtic website, I have offered my two cents on the subject as well. Personally, we enjoy the fine traditions of cruising, and choose to dress at or above the recommended dress codes each night. However, there are some that continue to try and twist Celebrity's stated dress codes to serve their needs, including people who are now saying that "jeans are pants." Immature as it may sound, there are some people who just don't get it. It is my hope that, to end the confusion, Celebrity will more clearly define "smart casual" in a way that either allows for jeans (which I hope NEVER happens), or states in the description of "smart casual" that jeans are not allowed. Hopefully that will clear up the confusion once and for all. Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion, and we hope that people will "get it" by the time our innaugural Solstice cruise is upon us.

Ironic that you sent this email, as you are the one twisting the stated dress code. The dress code says "Pants (no holes, rips or tears)." The common dictionary definition of "jeans" is "Pants made of jean, denim, or another durable fabric." Absent some explicit prohibition, any type of "pants," including jeans, is permissible. The only explicit prohibition is pants with "holes, rips, or tears."

I just called the Captains Club to make reservations for our September cruise in the Specialty Restaurant.

First hey said no problem. PERFECT! Then I asked them about Jeans. They said NO JEANS IN THE MAIN DININGROOM after six PM. They had/were correcting their websites to convey this information.

Then the shocker. ON this 3 night cruise...she said " I'm confirming your reservations for the second, FORMAL ( It was changed to Informal last I checked but John and I were doing formal anyway for our 12 year anniversary ) night. SO I asked was it formal or Informal. She said they no longer were having Informal after august so it would be FORMAL.

I was pleased, happy, surprised, delighted, estatic, and wowed to get a CSA who knew her stuff!!!

DAve:eek:

When I spoke to someone at Celebrity to get clarification of the new dress code they told me something very interesting.

This is why they decided to get rid of the middle dress code. They had received a number of complaints from people who wanted to dress in a sports jacket instead of a suit or tux on formal night because that is what they wear to a formal event where they live.

Therefore, Celebrity decided to be more flexible about what is acceptable for formal night by also including what is appropriate for their middle dress code, and just having two dress codes - formal and casual.

When I spoke to someone at Celebrity to get clarification of the new dress code they told me something very interesting.

This is why they decided to get rid of the middle dress code. They had received a number of complaints from people who wanted to dress in a sports jacket instead of a suit or tux on formal night because that is what they wear to a formal event where they live.

Therefore, Celebrity decided to be more flexible about what is acceptable for formal night by also including what is appropriate for their middle dress code, and just having two dress codes - formal and casual.

That may be but a sport jacket is never acceptable as formal wear. There may be a lot of debate about what smart casual is but not about formal. I am not criticizing people who wear sport jackets but if that what Celebrity wants to do they should drop the term "Formal Night" and come up with something else.

Ironic that you sent this email, as you are the one twisting the stated dress code. The dress code says "Pants (no holes, rips or tears)." The common dictionary definition of "jeans" is "Pants made of jean, denim, or another durable fabric." Absent some explicit prohibition, any type of "pants," including jeans, is permissible. The only explicit prohibition is pants with "holes, rips, or tears."

Because Celebrity has already emailed several individuals saying that jeans will not be allowed. My email is to (hopefully) encourage them to include the words "no jeans" in their description of smart casual so that we can all move on to another subject. Either that, or indicate on their website that jeans are OK, so as to clear up the confusion. Sure, I'll be disappointed, but c'est la vie.

Because Celebrity has already emailed several individuals saying that jeans will not be allowed. My email is to (hopefully) encourage them to include the words "no jeans" in their description of smart casual so that we can all move on to another subject. Either that, or indicate on their website that jeans are OK, so as to clear up the confusion. Sure, I'll be disappointed, but c'est la vie.

I'd bet that they will refrain from clarifying anything. Not explicitly addressing jeans in the code gives them cover, albeit it tenuous at best, to tell the elitists that jeans are not allowed, while not actually prohibiting jeans at all (recognizing that that ship has sailed).

I'd bet that they will refrain from clarifying anything. Not explicitly addressing jeans in the code gives them cover, albeit it tenuous at best, to tell the elitists that jeans are not allowed, while not actually prohibiting jeans at all (recognizing that that ship has sailed).

I bet you are 100% correct on that. I think they may have a problem now with explaining their response posted by Host Anne on this thread – but I think they will just stay quiet. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that they could have used Country Club or Resort Casual but they picked Smart Causal which jeans are commonly worn with a Sport Coat or Jacket.

They changed the word Slacks to Pants in their dress code description (one doesn’t imply jeans but the other includes them).

They dropped the word jeans from the never allowed after 6:00p wording.

And take a close look at the Celebrity’s ad for dinning on Solstice on their home page “Enjoy a taste of elegance” showing the couple dinning at Silk Harvest. Hard to tell but it looks like they are wearing JEANS!:eek:

Unless they surprise me and change their wording on their website I think you maybe seeing some denim in the dinning room, but then again I already have seen this onboard and I survived the experience. ;)

Not explicitly addressing jeans in the code gives them cover to tell the elitists that jeans are not allowed, while not actually prohibiting jeans at all (recognizing that that ship has sailed).

Please refrain from stereotyping those who prefer that =X= maintain dress standards in the dining room. You may disagree with them but lumping them altogether with a label like that is neither fair or appropriate. :rolleyes:

Please refrain from stereotyping those who prefer that =X= maintain dress standards in the dining room. You may disagree with them but lumping them altogether with a label like that is neither fair or appropriate. :rolleyes:

There are some people who have been lumped with this label...

"However, there are some that continue to try and twist Celebrity's stated dress codes to serve their needs, including people who are now saying that "jeans are pants." Immature as it may sound, there are some people who just don't get it"

Not only on this thread or board, but in a letter to Celebrity.

Roy

There are some people who have been lumped with this label...

"However, there are some that continue to try and twist Celebrity's stated dress codes to serve their needs, including people who are now saying that "jeans are pants." Immature as it may sound, there are some people who just don't get it"

Not only on this thread or board, but in a letter to Celebrity.

Roy

I'm not condoning any one person's postings, but I personally take offence at being called names just because another poster does not agree with me. Sterotyping and name calling is uncalled for and reduces these threads to a level that requires them to be closed by the host.

This debate is never really about "dress standards," as someone can look just as nice (or dressed up) in a nice pair of jeans as in a pair of Dockers. It is really about those who feel either (a) people who would dare wear jeans into the dinning room (or any public place for that matter) are a lower class of people or (b) since they don't wear jeans nobody should (which really should fall under (a) anyway).

This debate is never really about "dress standards," as someone can look just as nice (or dressed up) in a nice pair of jeans as in a pair of Dockers. It is really about those who feel either (a) people who would dare wear jeans into the dinning room (or any public place for that matter) are a lower class of people or (b) since they don't wear jeans nobody should (which really should fall under (a) anyway).

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it - but you've chosen to lump everyone together and labeled those who do not share your opinion. And that's what I disagree with. :)

OK gang, please stop with the labeling.

Referring to some as "elitists" or "snobs" and to others as "special people" or "trailer trash" is not only inappropriate and unnecessary in a civil discussion, it is also a violation of our Community Guidelines.

Stay with the topic, please.

Thanks.

lawduck, sorry, but I disagree with you completely when you say that someone can look just as nice (or dressed up) in a nice pair of jeans as in a pair of Dockers. That may be your opinion but I certainly do not share it. Frankly, I am baffled and amazed that anyone would think that jeans, be they blue, black, grey, tan or whatever, are appropriate attire for dinner in the dining room and/or specialty restaurants on ANY ship with the exception of an exploration-type vessel. During the day for breakfast and lunch, no problem. Jeans, in my opinion, are strictly casual attire, and I don't care if they are Armani, Hugo Boss or Levi Strauss...... they're still jeans.

lawduck, sorry, but I disagree with you completely when you say that someone can look just as nice (or dressed up) in a nice pair of jeans as in a pair of Dockers. That may be your opinion but I certainly do not share it. Frankly, I am baffled and amazed that anyone would think that jeans, be they blue, black, grey, tan or whatever, are appropriate attire for dinner in the dining room and/or specialty restaurants on ANY ship with the exception of an exploration-type vessel. During the day for breakfast and lunch, no problem. Jeans, in my opinion, are strictly casual attire, and I don't care if they are Armani, Hugo Boss or Levi Strauss...... they're still jeans.

Keep in mind that Celebrity is referring to causal (or smart casual) nights in the dinning room so causal attire is called for.

Jeans, in my opinion, are strictly casual attire, and I don't care if they are Armani, Hugo Boss or Levi Strauss...... they're still jeans.

I'm sorry, did I wander into a formal night discussion? ;) I was commenting on the dress code for (smart) casual nights. On formal nights, the dress code does, in fact, refer to "slacks."

Archived