New Dress Code Clarifications! PLEASE READ!

Host Anne

I’d like to share some important information that is intended to clarify Celebrity’s new dress code policy that goes into effect on August 1. This was sent to us from a Celebrity spokesperson:

"We apologize for the miscommunication about our new dress code, and are grateful to the members of CruiseCritic who have inquired about it. Celebrity's new dress code across the fleet (with the exception of Celebrity Xpedition) is designed to ease our guests' apparel planning and packing, with the elimination of 'informal' nights. Many of our guests told us they found the 'informal' designation somewhat confusing, but repeatedly said they enjoy casual nights, and want to retain the elegant tradition of formal nights.

'Smart casual and above' allows guests to wear skirts and pants with sweaters, sport shirts or blouses -- or more dressy apparel, if they choose -- on every night but formal nights. Our guests are asked only to refrain from wearing jeans, t-shirts, swimwear, robes, bare feet, tank tops or baseball caps at any time in the main or specialty restaurants. And during evening hours, no shorts or flip-flops will be allowed in the main or specialty restaurants.

Celebrity's new dress code will take effect on all sailings beginning on or after August 1, 2008. There will be one formal night on itineraries up to six nights, two on seven- to 11-night cruises, and three on 12-night or longer itineraries."

If you have additional questions, please post them and we’ll try to get answers for everyone!

THANKS!

I’d like to share some important information that is intended to clarify Celebrity’s new dress code policy that goes into effect on August 1. This was sent to us from a Celebrity spokesperson:

"We apologize for the miscommunication about our new dress code, and are grateful to the members of CruiseCritic who have inquired about it. Celebrity's new dress code across the fleet (with the exception of Celebrity Xpedition) is designed to ease our guests' apparel planning and packing, with the elimination of 'informal' nights. Many of our guests told us they found the 'informal' designation somewhat confusing, but repeatedly said they enjoy casual nights, and want to retain the elegant tradition of formal nights.

'Smart casual and above' allows guests to wear skirts and pants with sweaters, sport shirts or blouses -- or more dressy apparel, if they choose -- on every night but formal nights. Our guests are asked only to refrain from wearing jeans, t-shirts, swimwear, robes, bare feet, tank tops or baseball caps at any time in the main or specialty restaurants. And during evening hours, no shorts or flip-flops will be allowed in the main or specialty restaurants.

Celebrity's new dress code will take effect on all sailings beginning on or after August 1, 2008. There will be one formal night on itineraries up to six nights, two on seven- to 11-night cruises, and three on 12-night or longer itineraries."

If you have additional questions, please post them and we’ll try to get answers for everyone!

THANKS!

Hi Anne,:) I have kept quiet during all these dress

code threads but I have to comment now.....

During an Alaskan Cruise jeans are normal attire during

"daytime" hours and I have worn them to lunch in the main

dining room before~it looks like they have now changed

the daytime dresscode:confused:

Actually the only time I pack jeans are when I go to Alaska

and I only wear them during the day.....lunchtime included.

Thank you, Anne, for posting this, and thank you, Celebrity, for finally coming up with a definitive statement. I, for one, am delighted with this new dress code policy. Now let's hope it will be enforced on all ships.

the daytime dresscode:confused:

Actually the only time I pack jeans are when I go to Alaska.

Same here in Canada and white ones in the Caribbean because inside I freeze in the AC. I do wear silk T-shirts or blouses and sweaters too. So now we have to change for lunch?

And why not get it over since we have sailed with Canadians, Germans, Italians, Russians, etc. What does Celebrity consider jeans?

No one has to change for lunch, that's why they have a buffet and will have many other options on the new ships. These dress codes apply to the main dining room and the high end specialty restaurants. Thanks Anne, it seems we have the answer.

Still seems a little confusing to me :confused: --it would appear that a female would need to wear a blouse or sweater with shorts (or skirt/pants) to have breakfast or lunch in the dining room although it would be okay to wear flip flops during those times. On warm weather cruises, I usually have on shorts or a cotton skirt with a tank top OR my bathing suit with a sleeveless dress (not a coverup) over it for breakfast and/or lunch in the dining room--always wear flat non flip flop sandals. DH has worn shorts and a t-shirt or polo shirt for these meals with either leather sandals or athletic shoes.

I kind of wonder :confused: if this is intended to push more people to eat in the buffet since I would imagine it is more costly for X to serve breakfast/lunch in the dining room. I personally am not a buffet fan and either use the dining room or room service at all times.

Lois also brings up a good point about jeans being appropriate in a cooler climate for breakfast and lunch--seems ridiculous that folks would need to dress in non-jeans for breakfast then go put their jeans on to go ashore.

IMHO the dress code made more sense before and there was no ambiguity for me at least but now it seems a bit less clear. They should have just made the jacket for men on non formal nights optional (if that was what they wanted to change) and left the rest alone. Maybe it will make more sense as people report in here after August 1.

MARRY ME!! Just kidding John would kill me:D .

Thank you for providing us with the most accurate up to date info.

I have to agree with Lois' statements though. We have worn jeans to breakfast in Alaska before an excursion, however if the rule is no jeans,,,its just a quick stop by the room to change pants before we go, not a problem for us:) .

Dave:eek:

MARRY ME!! Just kidding John would kill me:D .

Thank you for providing us with the most accurate up to date info.

I have to agree with Lois' statements though. We have worn jeans to breakfast in Alaska before an excursion, however if the rule is no jeans,,,its just a quick stop by the room to change pants before we go, not a problem for us:) .

Dave:eek:

I think the main intent of Celebrity's statement is to clarify the "no jeans" recommendation for the dining room at dinner.

I'm willing to bet that no one on Celebrity will say anything about jeans in the dining room for breakfast or lunch.

This was sent to us from a Celebrity spokesperson:

Host Anne: Thanks so much for sharing this information with us! Did the spokesperson happen to say they would also inform the Captains Club and reservation personnel and update their web site? It would be nice to have one consistant message to everyone!

I love to dress up for evenings, always have and will continue

to do so.:)

I was just trying to say they seem to have changed the dress

code for DAYTIME attire.

Elena, the paragraph specifically says no jeans in the main

dining room at anytime, which in my opinion is a bit surprising.

Of course we all know what they say about opinions.:rolleyes:

Joan, yes, many times the dining room is closed for lunch

on port days but breakfast is always open.

(Unless something is way out of kilter).

I just feel like daytime attire is totally different than evening~

if that makes me a bad person or a hypocrite then I guess

I am just a bad person:eek:

I still don't see how they can possibly enforce anything since many people saw the dress code that allowed jeans. Who is supposed to enforce this anyway? They either have to have the fashion police stationed at the doorway or the enforcement will be the same as in the past which amounts to picking on a few people. It seems to me that people are reading into things what they want the statements to say. They are still being confusing. Since most people don't read cruise critic and if they are former cruisers, won't even read the web site. so, they will dress the same as most Celebrity cruisers have done in this past-very nicely. all this hysteria for naught.

This was sent to us from a Celebrity spokesperson:

Host Anne: Thanks so much for sharing this information with us! Did the spokesperson happen to say they would also inform the Captains Club and reservation personnel and update their web site? It would be nice to have one consistant message to everyone!

Hi Rolfecms !

From what Anne and I have been hearing, I am confident that everyone at Celebrity should be on the same page. Also, Celebrity's website has been updated with this information. I hope this helps !

Hi Rolfecms !

From what Anne and I have been hearing, I am confident that everyone at Celebrity should be on the same page. Also, Celebrity's website has been updated with this information. I hope this helps !

Hi Andy, where is it on the website?

I found this under Proper Dining Attire:

"Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés."

"Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés."

Hi Lois !

You are correct. There is a segment refering to No Jeans, but that is at the lower part of the page, and seems to be part of the old policy. I was sure I read it there a little while ago. Either I am seeing things, or the page has changed :)

I will bring it to their attention. It's possible it is being worked on as we speak.

the daytime dresscode

Hi, Lois!

While I agree that jeans ought to be allowed in the dining room during the daytime, particularly in Alaska, I am not so sure this is a change. I KNOW that on at least one if not both of my Alaska cruises on X, the policy as laid out in the dailies was that jeans were not allowed at any time. I remember this because I remember being bitter after returning to my cabin to change, only to be seated next to pax in SWEAT PANTS!!!

Host Anne - THANKS!!!!! Hopefully there won't be a new statement tomorrow!;):p NO JEANS IN THE MDR. What happens to all the dress code threads now?! ;)

Lois - Like you, I often wear jeans on port days in Alaska, but as a couple of posters pointed out, no DR for lunch on port days anyway. And since I always eat breakfast in my cabin, it becomes a non-issue for me. I hope you find lots of ways to make it work for you. Of course with your wonderful attitude, I KNOW you will!:)

Dave - I thought you were supposed to marry me! We just won't tell John or Randy!;)

You know, this is all a non-issue for me for a while anyway. I have 2 cruises booked. One on CCL in 09, and one on RCCL in 09. Sadly, I have none booked on X.

I don't THINK jeans are supposed to be worn in the mdr on RCCL (that debate rages on!), but I THINK jeans (and shorts!) ARE allowed in the mdr on CCL even on "Elegant Night". Oy vey, it all becomes very complicated!:rolleyes:

Happy cruising!

Denise

It's very nice of you to post this info, but it's of no use if Celebrity doesn't enforce its dress codes. "No shorts or flip flops will be allowed in the dining room" during evening hours, eh ? Hmmm. I've seen both before, and I know I'll see them again. No bite behind Celebrity's bark as far as dress codes go...

Hi Denise, your postings are always so nice:)

Hopefully cords will be acceptable:rolleyes: .......and I knew

I shouldn't have replied to this thread:eek: .......

Going back to the corner....

"Before Six

Hi Lois:

The paragraph that you quoted above comes below the heading that says:

"The following dress code applies for all cruises which depart prior to August 1, 2008." (My change of font colour).

What is currently on the website, with respect to the new dress code is:

Evening Dress Codes

Beginning on all cruises which depart on or after August 1, 2008, the following evening wear planner applies:

.......{Chart}.......

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. (No mention of jeans in the prohibited items.)

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

So while the new paragraph that Host Anne received specifically mentions no jeans at any time, Celebrity has removed that prohibition from the website, and has done so in recent days. At present, jeans are not included in the list of items that "are not allowed in the main restaurant at any time". (I don't know why Celebrity would prohibit jeans in the dining room at lunch and dinner, as I've never heard anyone complain about that.)

Celebrity is trying hard to get out a consistent message on the Dress Code, but they are not there yet.

So, I'm still willing to bet that Celebrity will not ask people wearing jeans to leave the dining room during breakfast or lunch.

If I am proven wrong, I will buy you a martini!

Archived