Live From PG, July 16, 2008 cruise

Texed

The Taha'a motu is free and includes drinks (in big coconuts) and a great BBQ lunch. The snorkeling is not that great there, but they also have kayaks and water skiing.

There is also a free motu on Bora Bora that is absolutely beautiful. It has rum punch, beer and water, but no food. The snorkeling here is awesome! Just watch the current. We loved both but this one was our favorite.

Texed I noticed on one of your posts that you mentioned that you planned to do the catajets. Did you? Did you like them? Also what excursions did you really enjoy? We leave in less than a month and will be staying pre-cruise in Moorea at the Sheraton. Did you rent a car and book it ahead? Really anything of interest or hints that you have would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Adrienne

Hi Texed, how was the Rangiroa pearl firm visit. I have been to other pearl farms so I dont want more of the same unless it was something special.

Did you ask about the Sofitel?

Thanks

Miriam

Random thoughts from a first timer: The musty smell was clearly mildew, and it was most noticeable in the stairwells. Not at all in the bars, dining rooms, or our cabin. Elmo, and Hal as well, are the bomb. We went to dinner one evening with Hal. The first night we were there I saw Elmo in the piano bar, and I commented that he was "famous" on the Cruise Critic blog. He was our buddy thereafter. He asked what wine we liked, and then every evening he would seek us out to see if we liked the general offering. Usually we would say no, and he would open a wine he knew we did like. Tell him A.W. sent you, he'll know who I am. My wife and I are pretty reclusive, so we didn't meet many of you, but we did have Elmo identify TexEd and Jaque for us, so we introduced ourselves to them and their two sons one evening.

You kept us up to speed on Celebrity in Australia and New Zealand and now on Tahiti. I have a question. Doesn't the ship take you to some motu in Tahaa (spelling)? Is there a charge for that? Is it a tour or what? I think you have been there now?? You are so good to do these tours in detail. I want to grow up and be like you--!

You are very nice. :o

Motu Mahana is the private island for Regent. There is no charge to go there, they take you there on a tender, they give you all the drinks you want, they give you free snorkeling, they feed you great food. It doesn't get much better than that. :D

Ah, now here's my question. Is the Bora Bora motu available both days for full days? I want to book Patrick's 3/4 day tour for one of them.

Yes, it is available both days. We went on Patrick's tour one day also. (AWESOME) :D

Texed I noticed on one of your posts that you mentioned that you planned to do the catajets. Did you? Did you like them? We saw the catajets at the hotel in Moorea. It was just a small 2 seater with a small horse power motor, so we canceled it.

Also what excursions did you really like? Patrick's tour on Bora Bora, Bruno's tour on Raitea, and the jet skis with Marc were all great. (Patrick's was our favorite)We leave in less than a month and will be staying pre-cruise in Moorea at the Sheraton. Did you rent a car and book it ahead? Really anything of interest or hints that you have would be wonderful.Thanks,Adrienne

We got free rides by using rides to the restaurants and the pearl shops. You can ask your concierge and there are plenty of free rides to different places. We were planning on renting a car, but we didn't need it. We did the hotel through Regent with the free breakfast, and we took snacks with us for lunch. That way we didn't feel QUITE as bad paying $200.00 for dinner. :eek:

Hi Texed, how was the Rangiroa pearl firm visit. I have been to other pearl farms so I dont want more of the same unless it was something special.Did you ask about the Sofitel?ThanksMiriam

I did not go to that pearl farm, but Jacquelyne did. She bought two pearls there, so it must be pretty good. Believe me, she knows pearls. :eek:

My wife and I are pretty reclusive, so we didn't meet many of you, but we did have Elmo identify TexEd and Jaque for us, so we introduced ourselves to them and their two sons one evening./quote]

And we enjoy meeting you. That is oe great things about PG, it is small enough to get to know some GREAT folks on board. :)

Siglo is currently on board as is Hal Fraiser. Siglo is in their eighth year and not leaving permanantly but for a vacation. They do it all...Rock, disco, ballroom, etc...there is not a separate orchestra. Hal is back for a two year contract. Dionne, the cruise director from the Mariner has moved to the PG (she told us last year in Alaska how much she liked the PG!).

Captain Zupan just left for a vacation, we met the replacement captain, but I can't remember his name. Ivan is running La Veranda and Elmo (my favorite bartender) is holding court, mostly in the Piano Bar. The crew musical was the best ever...a real hoot.

----------------------------

Small correction- Siglo is on their tenth year- as is the Guaguins supervisor and choreographer, Anna-they were on the PG from its beginning 10 years ago, as and have the uncanny ability to remember previous cruisers...

----------------------------

Small correction- Siglo is on their tenth year- as is the Guaguins supervisor and choreographer, Anna-they were on the PG from its beginning 10 years ago, as and have the uncanny ability to remember previous cruisers...

I was quoting the intro that Dionne (the cruise director) did for Siglo on the sail-away from Papeete. They have been on board as long as we have been going (7 years)

Archived