Live From PG, July 16, 2008 cruise

Texed

Well, it took me a while to get on with a report, but I said I would so, here I am. :)

We flew from LA to Papeete on July 12th. We stayed one night at the Intercontinental in Papeete. We transferred to Moorea Pearl resort the next day via ferry.

The Pearl Resort was pretty nice, good rooms, and great snorkeling. But, the service was very questionable. We had booked through Regent to by-pass having to pay breakfast and taxes, but they tried to charge us anyhow. I would not stay there again.

The PG has been great. There was a report saying how bad the ship smelled. It does have a " dingy" smell, but nothing to really go beserk about. The service and food on here is very good.

We have a 9 YO son and 28 YO son traveling with us. They are both having a good time. And, The Ambassadors of the Environment program for the youth is very good and is very educational.

Wendy, Arnold will be leaving the second week of November, and so will Siglo.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. It may take a while for me to answer, because we are having so much fun. :D

I am sure you are having a wonderful time. We cannot wait till our next adventure in Oct/Nov. I can only imagine the scenery you have in front of you. How did you find your ferry transfer? The first time we did FP, we used the ferry, but it was so rough that the memory is still fresh. LOL. But we are thinking of doing it again this time due. We are staying at our favorite again, the Sofitel pre-cruise. We love it there.

Can you do us a favor please? Last cruise we had a butler suite, and our butler was Jerry, who was wonderful. Can you ask any of the staff if he is still there? As it is a small ship, they all know each other. If so can you have them pass the message Ruth and Fred from Bermuda say hello, and will see him soon. He made my birthday on board very memorable!

Are you trying any new excursions such as the aquabike? We thought it looked a bit different, so therefore, a bit fun!

OH, Motu Mahana....first shuttle out and last one back. Have a wonderful, awesome time. On board for us Nov.1st.... Have a blast!!!!!!

Sounds like another great cruise for you Texed. How long is Siglo gone for?.....surely not for good. They have to be the best cruise band a float.

I imagine the dingey smell is from all of the humidity. The PG never gets out of that climate so how can she ever dry out. Just one of the small annoyances one has to overlook if you want to experience her.

Pat

Texed please ask reception whether we can now use the facilities at the Sofitel Moorea like we used to in the past. The last time we went the Sofitel was closed for a refurb but I think its open now. thanks.

Ruth,

The ferry docks right next to where PG docks.

Canada girl and Wendy,

Thanks for the nice words. Siglo should be back in February.

Emdee,

I will try to find out about Sofitel.

Driftingaway,

Jacque will definitely have the Bailey's. I will stick to Jack Daniels. :)

Parislady,

It looks as though your question about Jerry got answered. The best excursion we have been on so far was will Patrick here in Bora Bora. The drift dive was suppose to be great. We spotted, turtles and dolphins yesterday, swam with sharks, fed stingrays, dinner " in the water" on a motu. It doesn't get much better than this. :)

Thanks for the generosity of communicating while right there! Rick and I will celebrate our 25th. at end of Feb. on PG, and so happy Siglio will be back. I'm assuming they're a decent dance band (we love ballroom). I have to ask about this Patrick Bora Bora excursion, what was it called? Sounds perfect to me.

Pat

Orv, Siglo is already gone but will be back in February at least that's how I read this thread. So good to hear that they are just off for awhile. Siglo is more of a rock and roll band, and not really ballroom material. If I remember correctly the orchestra does the ballroom music.

Pat

Siglo is currently on board as is Hal Fraiser. Siglo is in their eighth year and not leaving permanantly but for a vacation. They do it all...Rock, disco, ballroom, etc...there is not a separate orchestra. Hal is back for a two year contract. Dionne, the cruise director from the Mariner has moved to the PG (she told us last year in Alaska how much she liked the PG!).

Captain Zupan just left for a vacation, we met the replacement captain, but I can't remember his name. Ivan is running La Veranda and Elmo (my favorite bartender) is holding court, mostly in the Piano Bar. The crew musical was the best ever...a real hoot.

Laksman makes the best lattes on ship. When we were last on the PG he worked the pool deck and the bar near the theater. Thanks. Also, what did you choose for your insuite liquor?

We finally asked our stewardess to bring us a couple of bottles of Champagne so we could watch a movie and enjoy a drink. Otherwise, with the new all-inclusive policy, we preferred to drink in the bars or by the pool...much more friendly.

Laksman makes the best lattes on ship. When we were last on the PG he worked the pool deck and the bar near the theater. Thanks. Also, what did you choose for your insuite liquor?

We finally asked our stewardess to bring us a couple of bottles of Champagne so we could watch a movie and enjoy a drink. Otherwise, with the new all-inclusive policy, we preferred to drink in the bars or by the pool...much more friendly.

I think that Regent is downplaying the insuite liquor as most people who request them take them home in their suitcases.

So Ivan is still there ... will be good to see him.

I am wondering whether Efren and Elmo are the same. He wrote his name and address for us to send his photos back to the Phillipines so I know I have it correct.

Sounds like another great cruise for you Texed. How long is Siglo gone for?.....surely not for good.

We just got back today.

Siglo is on-board now, but they are leaving the second week of November.

Elmo (my favorite bartender) is holding court, mostly in the Piano Bar. The crew musical was the best ever...a real hoot.

Elmo is almost everyone's favorite, but he is in the restaurant most of the time now. :)

We enjoyed the crew's show also.

Thanks for the generosity of communicating while right there! Rick and I will celebrate our 25th. at end of Feb. on PG, and so happy Siglio will be back. I'm assuming they're a decent dance band (we love ballroom). I have to ask about this Patrick Bora Bora excursion, what was it called? Sounds perfect to me.Pat

You're welcome, and congratulations on your anniversary.

Siglo is on the ship now, and they can play almost everything.

If you will look at our July 16, 2008 roll call, we have all the contact info for Patrick and other excursions.

Texed,

Thank you for yor reports from the PG. Sounds like you had a great time.

In your first post you wrote about the "dingy" smell on the ship. Was it noticable all through out the ship, in your cabin? My husband and I are returning to Tahiti for the fourth time next summer, first time on the PG. We enjoy the planning almost as much as the trips!

Linda :-)

Texed,

Thank you for yor reports from the PG. Sounds like you had a great time.

In your first post you wrote about the "dingy" smell on the ship. Was it noticable all through out the ship, in your cabin?Linda :-)

It was really noticeable near the photo shop. I never noticed any bad smell in the cabin. Remember, that is about the only negative I could find. You will love PG. :)

Texed

The Pearl Resort was pretty nice, good rooms, and great snorkeling. But, the service was very questionable. We had booked through Regent to by-pass having to pay breakfast and taxes, but they tried to charge us anyhow. I would not stay there again.

Did you end up having to pay for breakfast and taxes?

We are doing a post stay at Tahaa through Regent....Hope it's wonderful.

Breakfast is included.

Did Jacque get pearls? I hope to find one in green, yellow, or black.....

I love my large champagne pearl. Also love the one Jacque and I picked out last year it's yellow/green....very pretty. I sure will miss her on this trip.

Patricia and Chris

Did you end up having to pay for breakfast and taxes?

No, we had the paperwork from Regent so they credited the breakfast and taxes (twice). :eek:

We are doing a post stay at Tahaa through Regent....Hope it's wonderful.

Breakfast is included.

You will love the Taha'a Spa and Resort. Make sure you take the paperwork showing what is included. :cool:

Did Jacque get pearls? I hope to find one in green, yellow, or black.....

I love my large champagne pearl. Also love the one Jacque and I picked out last year it's yellow/green....very pretty. I sure will miss her on this trip.Patricia and Chris

Now, you know Jacque found pearls. There are probably husbands on our cruise that are mad at her. :rolleyes: :)

You kept us up to speed on Celebrity in Australia and New Zealand and now on Tahiti. I have a question. Doesn't the ship take you to some motu in Tahaa (spelling)? Is there a charge for that? Is it a tour or what? I think you have been there now?? You are so good to do these tours in detail. I want to grow up and be like you--!

Archived