This may be a silly question...

cruisetta

...but I am wondering how some people here can afford to go on so MANY cruises? I mean, some of you are going on a cruise approx. every other month! How do you afford this? How do you get the time off from work or are you retired or just very wealthy? Are you in a frequent cruise program of some sort?

I am dying to know, that would be my dream life!!!

...but I am wondering how some people here can afford to go on so MANY cruises? I mean, some of you are going on a cruise approx. every other month! How do you afford this? How do you get the time off from work or are you retired or just very wealthy? Are you in a frequent cruise program of some sort?

I don't go that often, but now that I am done with college I have more time to cruise. I know my parents cruise a lot because my dad has a ton of vacation time and my mom doesn't work. They find good deals by booking far in advance, budgeting their money, and being able to do a few last minute cruises. They also usually book an inside cabin so its not costing as much. They take my brothers and sisters and the 3rd and 4th person is usually lower. My dad looks for deals where it is $199 for the 3rd and 4th person.

I am about to get married, recently out of college. I have 3 weeks off each year and not too much money. I find good deals and set aside money each month for things and I can take a few cruises each year. Usually 2 vacations, but if i plan right I can do 3. Thats just how things work in my family and what we do.

The trick is that some people live in FL and its a lot easier for them to cruise! Hope this helps.

Some people can afford Mercedes and BMW vehicles. Some people drive Fords.

Some people can only manage a cruise once every three years and some folks sail every three months.

We know in Canada/America/in the world at large...... some folks simply have more disposable income.

Some folks are frugal in their everyday lives to afford to cruise more.

Some rather have an extravagant house and spend lots of money maintaining it.

Some have tons of children to feed/clothe/ educate. Others not.

The answers are really quite easy.Getting all those extra dollars may not be all that easy. ;)

Hard work. Good luck.

We always go the cheap route. We book inside cabins when they are the cheapest (like the first week in December) and drive to port. It is 600+ miles to New Orleans, Galveston or Mobile. Our car gets around 25 mpg so you are looking at $200 for gas, hotel for a couple of nights, excursions, tips and trinkets. We have done several 5 nighters for around a Grand.

It is the cheapest vacation that we have found. I've seen people talk about AI resort vacations being cheap but I can't fly to Cancun for the price of a cruise, and that doesn't count the price of the resort.

Good question, we get asked the same question a lot. We cruised four times last year, will do three this year, and have two scheduled next year so far. Here's the Reader's Digest version.

1) We live BELOW our means, and have been savers for years,

2) We don't spend money we don't have to impress people we don't know.

3) We generally drive a vehicle 7-10 years, thus avoiding a car payment for at least half that time.

4) We cruise in the off-season, do repo cruises whenever possible, and stack up the discounts and benefits available from our favorite line, RCCL.

5) During a cruise, we don't buy watered-down/over-priced drinks on board, we don't gamble, we don't bid on art, we don't pay for spa services, and rarely use specialty dining.

6) We charge everything we can, cruises included, on a branded credit card (and pay it off every billing cycle) so that we collect points to use for free hotel rooms. On a recent cruise from Hawaii (a repo cruise) we stayed at Hilton resorts on two islands prior to the cruise and paid nothing for the rooms.

In short, we get a bargain whenever we can, maximize deals/discounts, and pay as we go.

It may also be that some people who are on 5 or 6 cruises per year are taking advantage of 3 or 4 or 5 day cruises. If those crusies leave from a location close to their home it is particularly advantageous for them. On Caribbean cruises of a week we have often spoken to Floridians who have done the exact same crusie dozens of times over the years as the price was just too good to turn down. They often don't even get off the ship in ports, just enjoy the trip. Those of us who have to fly in for a cruise simply can't go on as many, and perhpas go on longer ones to make the flight "more worthwhile". JMHO

In my late thirties and finally last year got my first refrigerator with water and ice in the door at a garage sale from a friend for $125... :D Been on over 20 cruises though..... :p Priorities - mine is travel.. Debbie

Like another poster, we go in the off season when prices are lower and usually book inside cabins. We have no kids (huge savings right there!! :D ) and are within a few hours of several ports (no airfair). DH does not drink at all and I barely do (typical bar bill for a 7 night cruise is $50.00 or less for both of us). We book excursions independently, rarely dine in specialty restaurants and avoid Bingo like the plague.

All these things add up and allow us to cruise much more often.

• Both of us worked hard all our working lives, DH often 80+ hours/week.
  • Saved hard, putting a stipulated sum straight into savings account with every wage/ salary payment
  • Lived relatively frugally
  • Paid off our mortgage, did not upscale to a flash house
  • Drive the same car for 10 years
  • Raised 3 kids and paid for their education - now they are self sufficient
  • Always pay off full amount on credit cards each month, so we pay no interest
  • Never buy anything on hire purchase - the money is put to better use in our bank account (earning interest) than paying interest to someone else
  • Still live frugally between cruises

We earned it, we saved it, and now we're spending it!

Hello,

There is no one answer to this question. Some people live frugally and get their money's worth out of every purchase. Others have invested wisely. Others have benefitted greatly by living in places where college tutition was very low, which allowed a family to educate their children without taking on lots of debt.

My DW and I always look for the cruise specials, go in the off season, live frugally and have investments, and so on. However, we also have part time jobs which we enjoy and these jobs pay for our 2 or three cruises per year to wherever and whenever we want to go.

Although I have been retired for almost five years and we are very fortunate financially, both my wife and I are substitute teachers. As substiute teachers we work when we want to work and the money earned goes for our cruises. We look at cruises that cost $125.00 a day per person or less, for a balcony cabin, but we will select an oceanview or an inside cabin if there is a good buy on these cabins.

While substitute teaching isn't for everyone, it has worked out very well for my DW and I. We like kids, and we are doing an important but sometimes difficult job. The money earned, however, has allowed us to go on many cruises.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

In my late thirties and finally last year got my first refrigerator with water and ice in the door at a garage sale from a friend for $125... :D Been on over 20 cruises though..... :p Priorities - mine is travel.. Debbie

We're older than you Debbie, and still do not have ice and water in the door of our refrigerator! (it is a really old one that just isn't dying yet...and I refuse to buy a new one until this one is completely dead!) Would much rather do a cheap short cruise than get a new refrig! :)

What a great question the OP has asked and I only wish that all young folks this age could read these great replies. Of course, there are cruisers who are very wealthy, because cruisers are a cross section of our population, just like car owners, home owners, credit card holders, job holders, etc. But, as so many previous posters have said: "it is all about priorities." DH could stop working now, but he loves his job, so he continues to have gainful employment. Our kids are grown, out of college (they went locally so it did not cost a fortune), and they are independent, our home and vehicles are pd. for and we have ALWAYS pd. the balance on our credit card each month. We put money in savings each month and we save for a cruise each year, as well as other smaller vacations throughout the year. It is time for us to enjoy ourselves and cruising is how we choose to do it. Start thinking now how you can cut back, and tuck just a bit away each week. And remember, most young people do not have the funds (without borrowing) to cruise yet either. gg

Growing up I never would have believed that I would go on a ship. I would sometimes see the ships in NY and didn't dare to even dream about actually being on one.

It is all a matter of priorities. I know that my cruises have taken me to places that I read about and have broadened my mind about things. I too have made choices. I not only never had a fridge with water and ice in the door but I just got a new basic model when my avocado green model died after almost 40 years. The avocado green stove is still working. I wish it a long life as I am not ready to replace it.

cruisetta, if cruising often is your dream, you will make certain that this will happen. You know how to do it, just go ahead and do it.

Fran

I'm 54 and still don't have one of those :D

I thought I'd really get it for saying I had only just gotten a fridge with ice and water in the door. Thank you - it is nice to know I'm not the only one with priorities other than the nicest newest largest stainless steel fridge in my kitchen..... :rolleyes: Just got a new stove after 25 years (it was in the house when we bought it) only because we finally couldn't buy the parts for it any more.... We did buy a few parts over the years but the last time they were shocked we still had it and laughed at us!! :o

I'm with you - I'd much rather keep my old appliances that still work - and work good I might say - and go on a cruise than have the latest and greatest.... Thanks for the support and not laughing at me!!

I do all the other stuff mentioned too like cruising off season, looking for deals, no kids, small house (younger friends don't want to come over since they have the nicer newer bigger houses - boy are they going to pay for those things now with electric prices through the roof - pun intended!) :eek:

One thing not mentioned yet is the credit card for cruises - points... The only one I have found worth it now is NCL card but now they are not sailing locally it isn't worth it for me. BUT Carnival had one (before Seamiles which isn't a deal) that was great and NCL still does - 4% in points and any travel agent no restrictions... Last cruise in Jan was on the NCL Dawn out of Miami for $629 a person balcony (good deal) and $500 in points on the credit card... So for about $800 total for the cruise we cruised in a balcony for 7 nights... Not too bad... Debbie

With the price of energy where it is - it might be even more sensable to consider replacing thoses appilances though because newer models use less of that very expensive comodidty. Replacing such an item can often save too.

We took allour appilances off the stand by function. Replaced all our light bulbs for greener ones. etc. By the end of the year we had saved the price of a 3rd person on our next cruise.

We don't eat out when at home, only drive to the supermarket once a week. We reduced the kind of driving around we do ( consider if it isn't something that can wait if if this trip is really necessary or if it cannot be done by bicycle)

Look at your everyday life and see if you cannot save 20 USD in the week - put that away - that is over 1.000,- a year.

I suppose we're very lucky. We both work hard & we make a very nice income, I get 23 vacation days a year, SO is self-employed so it's easier for him. We're past the college years for my 4 kids who are now grown & self-sufficient....you'll see a 10 year gap in my cruise history...those were the college years lol.

I don't necessarily scrimp though. I book a cruise based upon itinerary and date, always book a balcony (except on the Majesty which didn't have any ;)) we book excursions...sometimes with the cruiseline sometimes on our own, we gamble but NEVER put the gambling $$ on the sail & sign card, we have dinner at the supper club generally twice on an 8-day cruise, and we run up one heck of a bar bill.

I don't ever want to feel regret for not having done something, or not having visited somewhere I've wanted to go. My mother passed away 4 years ago, and she talked her whole life about going to Paris ....and she never did. It wasn't a financial issue...she just always put it off for one reason or another. I've always felt very sad about that fact & so wish she had gone. And I never want to end up like that.

There are some excellent ideas here. Basicly it comes down to getting a good education, a great job that pays well with lots of vacation time and your ability to save by being frugal on your spending. My wife got a $17k bonus this year which payed for our next two cruises. We book inside cabins and try to sail out of local ports which allows us to fly the same day the ship departs, thus avoiding to have to pay for a hotel the night before. We have a Southwest Airlines Visa card which gives us free flights to the departure city. If you put aside $100.00 per month, in a years time you would have enough for one 7 day cruise on most cruise lines. The company I worked for (I recently retired) gave me 4 weeks vacation after 15 years of service.

Archived