suitcase storage

PMJ

We'll be on the Insignia in August. Can luggage be stored elsewhere on the ship, or do we need to cram it in a closet, under the bed, or elsewhere in our cabin (B2)? One of our suitcases is a little big and may not fit under the bed.

Clarify "a little big" ??

We had 2 X 26" hard side suitcases & they stacked in the closet without problem.

I cannot imagine a having anything larger with all the weight restrictions on the airlines.

I recently discovered that when I attempted to store my rather large suitcases under the bed on Regatta, they were too high, yet they had easily slipped under the bed frame on a previous cruise, in the same cabin on Nautica. So, I tried the other side of the bed, and Voila! they fit.

Hello. We are on Regatta early next year and I too was worried about the luggage storage. Could you tell me the depth of the suitcase that fitted under the Regatta bed so I can measure our case. Thanks in advance.:D

Thanks meow. That is great. Anymore hints - good or bad on Regatta would be appreciated. We are in Cabin 7025 and this is our first Oceania Cruise. We are from Australia so hope the long trip is worth it. Sounds like we won't be disappointed. The ship, service & food all sound great. Thanks again.:)

I pack my shopping in the empty suitcases then I do not have to clutter up the cabin with the bags.

I also take a small carry on size suitcase empty (which folds flat) for my shopping!:D

The clearance under the bed four years ago (if they haven't changed the beds) was 10 inches, measured with tape. Hope this helps.

In my observation,there was a difference between the two beds, so it's uneven.

I don't have any knowledge in this, but would a slightly sagging mattress have accounted for the inch or two difference?

On another note, I wonder if there's any study on the male sleeping closer to window or bathroom? Of course, I'm using a very generalised, streotypical scenario where (a) two guests in a cabin, one male, one female, and (b) the male weighs more than the female. Certainly, there is a high percentage where such is NOT the guest mix in the cabin, but we have to start with the most commonly seen model on Oceania cruises.

rhohea writes >> Could you tell me the depth of the suitcase . . . .

The large suitcases are 26" x 18" x 10.5" and the depth of the suitcase does expand an additional 3" if need be, so the suitcase was probably not a perfectly flat 10.5" as I slid it under the king frame, but it did accommodate it.

The carry-ons are 22' x 14" x 8" and easily fit on the other side of the bed.

I don't know why there was a minor difference in the height of the metal frames but whatever the reason, like LHT28 said, it's nice to have the empty suitcases handy to store souvenirs.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Ask your cabin attendant to store your suitcases for you. That's much easier than trying to stuff them under the bed - or take up the somewhat limited closet space with them. This was done for us with no problem.

Thank you all for your hints/suggestions. It sounds like Oceania will accomodate our needs one way or another. I am a bit of a shopaholic when on holidays. Never go near the stores when at home if I can get out of it.:)

We tried to put our suitcases under our bed in our A cabin and even though they squashed under, the metal part of the bed hit them and as they are good Samonsite hard cases we decided to give them to our steward to keep until we needed them for packing.

We were on the 35 day cruise on Nautica. He kindly took them away and they were returned on the day before dismebarkation.

We have cruised on the ex "R" ships before on Princess and have always been able to put our cases under the bed. We discovered on Nautica the beds joined together were similar to camp beds with metal stretching across from side to side and that was the reason our cases couldn't fit underneath.

We were unhappy with the bed, far too hard and there were no egg crate mattresses on board the ship to help soften the bed. In our opinion, HAL has the best beds on any cruiseline.

Jennie

rhohea writes >> Could you tell me the depth of the suitcase . . . .

The large suitcases are 26" x 18" x 10.5" and the depth of the suitcase does expand an additional 3" if need be,

Mine are the same size

I just lay one flat in the closet & the other on top.

No problem.

You never know what is under the beds:eek:

Lyn

It is interesting to read that the thickness of the luggage for several of you is 10.5 inches. The under bed clearance for both the Celebrity Century and Silver Shadow is 10.5 inches, but we measured the Regatta (4 years ago) at 10 inches. That was fine for us though. We use soft (rather than hard) suitcase which can be squeezed a little. Soft luggage is lighter, can be pushed to pack in more (even if it is bulging). Hard luggage is simply impractical as far as we can tell and should be replaced now that soft suitcases can be pulled on wheels too!

It is interesting to read that the thickness of the luggage for several of you is 10.5 inches. The under bed clearance for both the Celebrity Century and Silver Shadow is 10.5 inches, but we measured the Regatta (4 years ago) at 10 inches. That was fine for us though. We use soft (rather than hard) suitcase which can be squeezed a little. Soft luggage is lighter, can be pushed to pack in more (even if it is bulging). Hard luggage is simply impractical as far as we can tell and should be replaced now that soft suitcases can be pulled on wheels too!

We much prefer the hard luggage. We moved to soft luggage last year and ended up getting rid of it after one vacation. Believe it or not, it was not much lighter before packing and was unwieldy compared with the hard cases, especially travelling on trains through Europe. We like the way we can hang our clothes in the top of the case and as the cases are airtight, the clothes come out wrinkle free. This is particularly suitable for us as our cases pass through heat and humidity on most of our trips before arriving at our final destination. eg. On our way to Europe we go through Singapore, Hong Kong or Bangkok and on our way to the Canada/U.S.A. we go through Hong Kong and Singapore.

Jennie

... on our way to the Canada/U.S.A. we go through Hong Kong and Singapore.
I think both Qantas and United Airlines fly directly from Sydney to Los Angeles, and Air Canada to Vancouver. They are fifteen hour straight flights, that should be quicker and less tiresome than the round about routes, unless of course, if you deliberately want to visit Singapore and Hong Kong on the way. Those business and first class seats (for those who can afford them, not us) are very nice, you get to lie flat in business and have a cubicle in first!

P.S. Perhaps you can try one of these http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/A380/index and let us know what the new first cubicle is like!

The new Qantas A380 is on sale now for selected flights from Sydney and Melbourne to Los Angeles for travel from late October 2008. The Qantas A380 is also on sale for selected flights from Sydney to Singapore and London for travel from mid January 2009

Meow,

Having lived in Australia all my life I do know about Qantas and their flights to the U.S. As we have travelled via Los Angeles airport a number of times, we have vowed never to return to that airport again in our lifetime.

We are using Qantas to fly to Hong Kong and from there we are taking Cathay Pacific. It is a much better route for us, only an 8-9 hour flight to H.K., an overnight and then a direct flight to Vancouver. On the way home, we have time to shop and enjoy that wonderful city as we have 4 days there and we have a daylight flight back to Oz.

We also hate the long flight across the Pacific and then having to change to another aircraft to reach Vancouver. We end up taking just as long to reach our destination as going via H.K.

We have flown 1st Class on Qantas in and out of L.A. and though it is very comfortable, none of that makes up for that horrible, disgusting airport.

Jennie

Archived