How likely are we to get our luggage before dinner?

lovebug33

I am trying to decide if it is worth lugging a garment bag with clothes onto the ship and all around until our room is ready. If we have early dining, are we likely to get our luggage before dinner? And, if we don't and choose not to lug clothes around, will we look out of place in shorts and t-shirts that we wore on board? TIA!

I am trying to decide if it is worth lugging a garment bag with clothes onto the ship and all around until our room is ready. If we have early dining, are we likely to get our luggage before dinner? And, if we don't and choose not to lug clothes around, will we look out of place in shorts and t-shirts that we wore on board? TIA!

No you will not look out of place and you probably will not get your luggage before early seating. There really is no dress code the first (or most) nights. Cruise casual seemed to be the norm on the Grand Med Freedom we just returned from. I carry a 4 days worth of clothes in a small carry on just in case the AIRLINE, not the ship, doesn't do it's job right!

We wear shorts and a nice shirt with a collar when we enter the ship. In our carryon bag we each roll up a light par of slacks just in case. Only one time did the luggage arrive late for the early seating but we had our back up plan.:)

The earlier you get to port the earlier you will get your bags. I've had all my bags by 4pm at the very latest. The last cruise in February we were at the port and had to wait a wee while until the ship was ready (30 minute wait). We had a suite so we had VIP boarding. One by one our bags were delivered and by the time the cabins were available we had two bags waiting. By 2pm all seven bags were there! I was unpacked and ready to go by 2:30!!!!!

Best of luck getting your bags, but the dress code the first night is quite casual!

We've always received our luggage before dinner, even with early seating. Sometimes it's been close, though.:o We always pack extra tops in a carry-on so we can at least change shirts after boat drill (I always feel as if I need to get changed after boat drill).

On Carnival we do late seating and have gotten all our luggage before dinner, including the time my bag went missing for a couple of hours after we had the rest of them. On Princess last year, we had early seating because we were traveling with a group and that's what they picked and we still had all our luggage well before dinner. We actually had most of our luggage on Princess before we left San Diego. On Carnival we usually get it by 4:30.

No you will not look out of place and you probably will not get your luggage before early seating.

I have to disagree with that prediction. We always choose the early dinner seating and have always received our luggage before dinner, no matter what cruise line or ship we were on. To be safe just board wearing something that would not embarrass you at dinner in the event your luggage doesn't arrive on time.

I'm sure the odds are good that you'll get your luggage before dinner, particularly if you have the late seating.

However.....

I VERY STRONGLY advise you to carry on whatever you want to wear to dinner. On the Legend in April, my husband's suitcase arrived, but mine didn't. It rained a little bit at sail away, so I got wet and really wanted to change for dinner....but my suitcase was still missing. I packed one pair of jeans in his suitcase, so I wound up going to the dining room in jeans, one of his shirts, and no underwear :D

After dinner we found my suitcase at the porter's desk. The tag had fallen off :rolleyes:

we ve always had our luggage befor dinner call..but, at the early sitting s

it was nt uncommon to see shorts, jean s and tee s on the first night..

though we are usually among the early boarder s we ve had to wait on occasion to receive our luggage after the life boat drill..

Probably has a lot to do when you board. If you embark early then chances are you will get your luggage mid afternoon. However, if you are one of the last to board then likely... you will be one of the last to get your luggage. ;)

I have to disagree with that prediction. We always choose the early dinner seating and have always received our luggage before dinner, no matter what cruise line or ship we were on. To be safe just board wearing something that would not embarrass you at dinner in the event your luggage doesn't arrive on time.

Or pack something in the carry-on to change into for dinner.

I can not think of a cruise when we didn't receive our luggage and have everything put away before we have sailed (really before muster). Of course we always arrive fairly early.

We arrive early too.. On every one of my cruises I have been unpacked by time for the life boat drill.. We always go to the cabin 30 mins before the drill and unpack then it is cruise time for real..LOL

We've always had our luggage delivered to the cabin in plenty of time to unpack and be settled way before early seating. But in the event of a missed bag or 2...the first night on is very casual (anything goes) at dinner. Don't lug around your garment bag, you'll be fine. Have a great cruise!

Archived