insurance Question.

I will be traveling with my Mother in November. I have been thinking about getting travel ins. I never use it personally (yes know I should save your lecture) However, my father has Diabetic seizures. If he were to have one within the three or four days before we left for our trip my Mother would not be able to leave ( I have little brothers who are 10 and 14 that will be home with him, not really something they can-or should have to handle) They don't happen too offten and are a result of low bloodsuger, so he is usally able to prevent them. Last night he did have one right after diner when there should have been no problem. The one before this was almost a year ago....

Is there a type of ins that will cover my Mother (and poss me too) in the case that something happens to my Dad and we choose not to go?

Thank you,

Ashley

Be carefull picking a policy if it has been more than 14 days since you booked. My friend who has diabetes cannot be covered now on most policies because she listened to a stupid PVP who told her diabetes wasnt a pre-existing condition. The PVP told her no rush to get insurance, since it wasnt pre-existing and I didnt hear about the conversation until after the 10 day period most insurance policies allow.

There are supposed to be two policies on the site mentioned above that will still insure your mom for pre-existing conditions, read the fine print.

Make sure the policy covers pre-existing.

It is not my Mother who has Diabetes it is my Father. I want Ins. That will allow her to cancel the trip if something happens to him, or for any reason (something happens to my brothers ). Will I be able to find anything like this or is it not available?

Go to insuremytrip and get the list of possible insurance companies that offer policies. There have been policies available. at slightly higher premiums, that waive pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased within 24 hours of FINAL payment. I have noticed that there are fewer policies with this available now than there were a couple of years ago. If that doesn't work, check each policy's definition of pre-existing condition. Some define PEC as a condition that required treatment, other than routine medicine, within 60 or 90 days of PURCHASING the policy. A shorter period may allow coverage even though there was a recent episode.

Good luck.

Most likely.

Do as others have said and go to insuremytrip dot com, and read the policies. I looked about a week ago and read some that did allow cancellations for close family members' illnesses, etc. You may be paying extra for this, and be sure to look specifically for it.

It is not my Mother who has Diabetes it is my Father. I want Ins. That will allow her to cancel the trip if something happens to him, or for any reason (something happens to my brothers ). Will I be able to find anything like this or is it not available?

You will still need to check on pre existing condition clauses since your father (whether or not he is travelling) has a pre existing condition. Some have cancel for any reason, but you will pay a bit more...be careful and read the fine print.

i have elderly parent s and a mother-in-law..all in their 80 s..

so it s a essential we purchase insurance when we cruise..

we go thru our AAA insurance..they use America Access..a little

more..but, the cover your air flight s, hotel s ..and medical evacuation s

on foreign ports in addition to our cruise ..

Young Cruiser, I was looking for the same thing you are as far as being able to cancel if something were to happen to a non traveling family member. There are only two polices on insure my trip and they are TravelSafe and TrueTravel Insurance. If the condition begins after you bought the coverage then you would be fine. In your case you already know and it is documented that your father has diabetic seizures. That would fall under pre existing conditions and they will not cover it. You can call these 2 companies and tell them your situation and let them explain it to you in detail. Hope this helps.

Read the fine print and look for companion clauses. One of the benefits of a Super TA is that they know you and if they don't they ask.

A Super TA:p

PS Read your state's certificate before buying and if you both reside in different states read those too...

This is a very important point I think a lot of people over look.

It's any body that could make you cancel, pre existing condition Not just the travelers. Pre existing can be a wide range of thing.

We sell travelguard at work, and if the policy is purchased at the time the cruise is deposited, they do not look at pre-existing. However if you wait until anytime after that, they will pull that clause into the contract.

Pre-existing condition clauses, covered reasons for cancellation and companion cancellation inclusion(s) are not standard on every policy. My point is that a cruise line rep on the phone is not going to take the time to qualify the customer and determine what their coverage needs are. A good TA will. A professional insurance agent should.

Archived