Paul Gauguin pre-cruise lodging

We're thinking about trying to book the Club Bali Hai on Moorea for a week pre-cruise. The units have "partial kitchens" which I think means a mini-frig, microwave, and two-burner stove. I'm hoping that if we prepare most of our own meals, the stay will be affordable.

Can someone please tell me if there's a grocery store on Moorea and how the prices are? And how expensive is transportation?

Try the forums here: http://www.tahiti-explorer.com

You'll find out lots of information about Club Bali Hai in general, and where the grocery stores are located, whether you need a car or if there's one close enough to walk to.

Everything is expensive in FP except for baguettes! But it might be very worthwhile to rent a car at the dock and keep it for your stay.

The best meal I ever ate was bread,cheese and wine. We ate on the balcony of our bungalow and watched the sunset. There are several small grocery stores all over the island. Food in general is very,very expensive in FP.

HAve a wonderful trip.

Dennis

There are several small grocery stores all over the island. Food in general is very,very expensive in FP.

Even in the grocery stores? Even local food - is there any or is it all imported? How can the locals afford to eat? Or is the problem just the weak US dollar?

event.png

yes, even in grocery stores -- everything is shipped in except fish, pineapples, coconuts and some other fruit. Eggs in the store were $1.00 PER EGG, (no wonder everyone has a chicken stratching about in their yard). Bag of chips $5.00, etc. Situation is made worse as the Central Pacific Franc is closely influenced by the Euro. Prices slightly less in Tahiti where they have supermarkets.

Bread is cheap, as are coconuts and various tropical fruits. Also amazingly, French wine. We got some very nice Bordeaux for way less than we could have in the US--bought it in a grocery store. But it is subsidized by the French gov. We had French wine, baguettes, and cheese on our balcony--very romantic.

I could live on fish, bread, fruit, and wine. If only I knew how to cook fish in a "partial kitchen" such as the ones at Club Bali Hai. Maybe I should practice some fried fish recipes before we go. Oh, but then we'd have to buy cooking oil or butter - probably expensive too.

How's the price of cheese?

I wonder if it's legal to bring food in your luggage.

You can bring in certain types of food - I think the restrictions are (like here) against bringing in produce, certain kinds of meats, etc. I've made several trips and bring cookies, pringles, trail mix, etc. Cheese is relatively reasonable to buy while ther (again subsidized) and I think you could bring in a can of cooking spray to cook with (although it would probably run something like $5 or $6 in the market).

Some other things that I buy while there just to bring home - tea (they always have interesting flavors), and jam / preserves - my mom loves all the exotic flavors.

If you are staying at Club Bali Hai, you will have several stores close to you. Cheese, fresh baguette, and wine as well as bottled water are available for what we feel are reasonable prices...........baguette is 51 xpf. A beautiful chunk of Brie is around 250-300. Wine cost is of course dependent on what you select. We can rough it and buy the boxed Zamuva from South America but if you aren't the camping type when it comes to wine, that might not suit your palate. We had many lovely sunsets with a box of Zamuva though.

Best value is Allo Pizza where Somers will cook a tender steak in his wood burning pizza oven and serve it with these lovely potatoes and fresh green salad (the lettuce on Moorea is about the best we've ever tasted anywhere in the world and that's the truth!!!) with his own vinagrette for 1950 xpf.......enough for 2 people. We brought our own wine and had 3 diners there several weeks ago. Save room for his chocolate mousee or.........the banana pizza for dessert........trust me, that is fabulous! So are his pizzas. Very tasty and special.

Hope this helps, vai

Archived