airpor/port-first timer

tugboatjulie

Not positive which port yet--possibly NO or FL or Mobile.

I have no idea how to figure out the best way to get from airport to what hotel is best for port/airport convenience, then getting to port the next day. We're probably going Carnival or RC to Western Carib. (any advice t here?).

We're first -timers and want to try a short one to see how my husband will do with sea-sickness. For this, does inside or oceanview matter??

Any advice would be great.

Each airport to port situation is different. For instance, if you fly into MIA and go to the port of Miami, a cab is the fastest, cheapest and easiest way. Cabs there are plentiful--they are waiting in line for you!

If you have to go a really long distance from the airport to the port, then a shuttle or rental car may be the best bet.

Once you decide on a port of departure, then start looking for a nearby airport! Write back and there will be plenty of suggestions for getting to and from your ship!

Ok. Looks like we'll be using carnival (holiday--any comments?) from mobile.

Any advice on where to stay w/ shuttles to/from airport, port of call?

i know this may a cheap cruise this time, but we're not even sure my DH can handle the seas. after that, we'll splurge a little on cabin, ship, etc.

Thanks! (I'm reading other posts to not duplicate too much.)

Ok. Looks like we'll be using carnival (holiday--any comments?) from mobile.

Any advice on where to stay w/ shuttles to/from airport, port of call?

i know this may a cheap cruise this time, but we're not even sure my DH can handle the seas. after that, we'll splurge a little on cabin, ship, etc.

Thanks! (I'm reading other posts to not duplicate too much.)

i've read more on Holiday...not thinking it's our choice.

So, any advice on which Carnival cruise line for West. Carib?? Larger ship probably better for DH's potential sickness??? I'm so confused...which is older, smaller...blah, blah...

i've read more on Holiday...not thinking it's our choice.

So, any advice on which Carnival cruise line for West. Carib?? Larger ship probably better for DH's potential sickness??? I'm so confused...which is older, smaller...blah, blah...

Holiday of course is the oldest Carnival ship and has been sold to Spain, but no word yet when it will be moved. Avoid the aft on Holiday, its known to have a really bad vibration, more so than the usual little vibration from stablizers, enough to ruin your cruise most say.

It will have no atrium like newer ships, I think its the only Carnival ship that doesnt have one. Not a big deal, the price is right? Its cheap. Just be aware its not going to be like a newer ship even though the staff is very friendly.

Can you do Inspiration or Imagination?? Both of these ships, even though they are older (nothing is as old as Holiday), but they have had the upgrades to evolutions of fun and have all the new pool slides and are supposedly wonderful after this last dry dock. The other Fantasy class ships dont have the upgrades yet.

Low and middle best for seasickness.

I have no idea how to figure out the best way to get from airport to what hotel is best for port/airport convenience, then getting to port the next day. We're probably going Carnival or RC to Western Carib. (any advice t here?).

We're first -timers and want to try a short one to see how my husband will do with sea-sickness. For this, does inside or oceanview matter??

Hello,

Look at cruises that go round trip from Port Canaveral, Florida. You will have a big selection of cruises to choose from. Generally a newer ship has more amenities than older ships...newer carpets, nicer updated cabins and so on, but not always.

A short cruise will give you an idea of why so many of us are addicted to this type of travel, but remember, shorter cruises are geared toward having a party. Go for seven days.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Carnival out of Ft Lauderdale has tons of selections. Take a look at:

vacations to go dot com and you can see all the possibilities. On the left hand side of the home page, there are selections for specials. For instance, I qualify for past guest, 55 years or older and my DH (dear husband) is ex military so that makes a difference for Carnival. You will have fun searching.

We are going on Carnival Freedom out of Ft Lauderdale. It is a large ship so more stable than smaller ships. On that site you can even look at the size and rating of the ships. Good luck and have fun.

Hi we are first time cruisers also, and doing a 3 day to the bahamas for the same reasons as you. Hubby gets motionsickness. We booked midship with a balcony (I like air moving). As for the hotels, I googled hotels in the airport area of Ft. Lauderdale, and read their sites till I found one that picked up at the airport and drove to the Miami port the next day. It was pretty easy actually.

Good luck! and have fun

Hi we are first time cruisers also, and doing a 3 day to the bahamas for the same reasons as you. Hubby gets motionsickness. We booked midship with a balcony (I like air moving). As for the hotels, I googled hotels in the airport area of Ft. Lauderdale, and read their sites till I found one that picked up at the airport and drove to the Miami port the next day. It was pretty easy actually.

Good luck! and have fun

Which hotel did you find that will do this? I'd love to know, as I've never heard of one that will shuttle you from one city to the other.

Thanks,

Which hotel did you find that will do this? I'd love to know, as I've never heard of one that will shuttle you from one city to the other.

Thanks,

Actually I think you'll find this package deal offered in hotels chains near any port -- not all of them but some.

Example: Crowne Plaza in San Pedro has this package. When you're on a hotel chain's website looking for it, be sure to look under "packages" as opposed to "room rates"

Cheers!

Tee

Actually I think you'll find this package deal offered in hotels chains near any port -- not all of them but some.

Example: Crowne Plaza in San Pedro has this package. When you're on a hotel chain's website looking for it, be sure to look under "packages" as opposed to "room rates"

Cheers!

Tee

Hi Tee,

I know that lots of hotels offer these packages, but I've never heard of one that will take you from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. That's what I was interested in :) .

Hi Tee,

I know that lots of hotels offer these packages, but I've never heard of one that will take you from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. That's what I was interested in :) .

I've never heard of a hotel that will take you from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami either, I'd like to know too.

Archived