Delta 2nd Bag now $50

Mildred

I don't want to sound like Im preaching - and Im sorry if it comes across that way - but what is the issue with the second bag.

We always fly on holiday - and over here in the UK, its not the bag that is the problem its the weight - usually 20kg - 50lb total - anymore than that you get charged excess baggage. if you book a holiday usually with only 6 weeks to go that baggage allowance can drop to 15kg - 30lb.

When we cruised in April - we had no problems carrying all of our luggage in two suitcases, and that included 1 tux, 1 mess dress and 2 long dresses. We made use of the laudering facilities on the ship.

When we have done all inclusive in Cuba, Mexico and Dom Rep have never had a problem with only 1 bag and 20kg each. For Cuba half of one suitcase was full of animal medical supplies for a local vet.

i think sometimes people just take too much stuff - for note I never carry a bag and HB uses a ruck sag usually there is only a couple of books, passports and things in it though.

We always travel for 2 weeks, and this time we are using Delta from the UK to Atlanta - Miami.

I just don't see the issue with one bag unless it is only 10kg and then even I may be struggling.

Since I fly to MCO for both Walt Disney World and cruises often, I use my Owners Locker. Pretty soon I'll never have to pack anything but a carry on from Vegas to MCO.

If you want to know more about my locker e-mail me

pryd1@cox.net

Onboard laundry facilities may be a new selling point for cruiseships to advertise! For $2 a load or $15/bag on cheap day... sure as heck beats $50 each way for that second bag on Delta! We just flew AA in June for Barbados/Grenadines for two weeks and definitely made it with one bag each including snorkel gear - and doing laundry once while there. But yea for Southwest for allowing TWO bags for free still! :)

I gotta tell you, all these posts about charges made me really nervous when packing to fly a couple of weeks ago. I packed my case, putting everything that I thought I need, and figured I'd cut back after weighing it.

Well, the weight was 24 lbs., so I got myself uptight over nothing.

Now, I can't imagine even hitting 50 lbs., and surely don't need a second bag.

I just flew again over the weekend, just me an my DD, and never even bothered to weigh the bags. I happened to put BOTH of them up on the scale to be tagged, and both of them didn't even come to 50 lbs.

The new charge from Delta of $50 will make me avoid that 2nd bag for sure. On the last cruise I just packed one bag for the first time and everything turned out great. I had plenty of clothes and etc. packed and under 50lbs. so I was'nt charged even more. It can be done just don't take to many things on the cruise like most of us do.:o

When we used to travel to disney for vaction before moving to florida, we use to ship our luggage via FEDEX directly to the hotel that we were staying at and was always there waiting for us with never having a problem.

FedEx rates have gone up dramatically in the past few months. We ship all the time and some of the prices have almost doubled. I don't think there would be much of a difference.

Well, I guess we knew it was coming. I'm just surprised it has happened so soon. DH will be happy since he thinks I pack too much anyway. Now he'll have 'back up' when he says I should pack light.

Up and up and on and on. Definate gouging going on "take it or leave it". We are booked on JetBlue in Dec. but they will all probably follow suit. Southwest is the only smart airline that hedged their fuel and locked in. Someone should get a raise there. Wish their schedules were doable for us.

Southwest's day is going to come. They have already said they are not adding flights, and limit any more growth. They aren't hedged forever, and it is tougher for them to do that. We'll see how the next several qtrs go for them. Air Tran just announced fairly big loss today, and will be continuing flight cut backs along with deferring new plane orders for 5-7 yrs with Boeing. No one is trying to gouge anyone, they are trying to do what they can to stay in business.

I am thinking about flying First Class on Delta for my cruise next year. First class is $750.00 from RDU to FLL. Coach is $380.00. Add an extra bag each way and coach is now $480. In first class you can check 3 bags with no extra charge plus a you get a whole lot more room.

It's impossible to only ck in two bags. What about the bag you put all your toiletries in? Hairdryer, makeup, lotions, etc...

Is this both ways as well? So it's going to cost me an extra 100.00 to fly?!

Are these prices for new bookings or everyone? We booked our flights for our March 09 cruise in April 08. Do we still pay?

We have small suitcases, so we each brought 2 :eek: suitcases on our last cruise! I'll start looking for bigger and lighter luggage! I'd bet we could easily fit each of us in one large suitcase, we just usually go on short trips and like the small suitcase to carry on.

Isn't it time finally that cruise lines stop this silly nonsense of requiring people to dress up and take all of those extra clothes when the airlines are penalizing you and charging you extra for weight, first bag, second bag, etc.

anyone who flies to a cruise these days should rethink this strategy if they live within driving distance of one of the other ports in the US.

It's impossible to only ck in two bags. What about the bag you put all your toiletries in? Hairdryer, makeup, lotions, etc...

Is this both ways as well? So it's going to cost me an extra 100.00 to fly?!

Yes it is both ways.

Leave the hairdryer at home, the ship provides one although you may have to tolerate lesser quality for the week. Pack your 3-1-1 in your carry on and supplement a few things in your packed case. My toiletries altogether only weigh a couple of pounds.

The future is now, people need to start being smarter about packing and not try to take every little what-if item with them. Pack lighter weight clothing, mix and match, take fewer pair of shoes, leave the extension cords and blenders at home ;) :)

Isn't it time finally that cruise lines stop this silly nonsense of requiring people to dress up and take all of those extra clothes when the airlines are penalizing you and charging you extra for weight, first bag, second bag, etc.

anyone who flies to a cruise these days should rethink this strategy if they live within driving distance of one of the other ports in the US.

The cloths police will have a cow - Too many nasty threads about "dumbing down" Cruising by eliminating formal nights. But I agree with you. Our 14 night TA next year as of now has 3 formal nights - cant see that in light of the restrictions on baggage - even with using the onboard laundry

The whole idea, is to discourage all these excess bags being checked. The weight of cargo in the aircraft belly is astonishing, when you consider the effect that has on fuel burn, the costs are astronomical. Go ahead, try checking a 50lb bag via FEDEX or UPS.......I am willing to bet, it will be more than tripple the price of a second checked bag. It so amazes me that people think nothing of paying 9 bucks to see a movie, and 5 more for a popcorn and 4 more for a drink, or 5 bucks for a stupidly named cup of coffee, but baggage charges for a 50 plus pound suitcase, or fuel surcharges to offset what we ALL know are outrageous fuel costs......well I've said it, don't shoot, we just have to all be realistic, these are the tough economic times we live in, and if we want luxury items such as cruise vacations, we have to be willing to suck it up and face it, or just stay home.

[quote name='MiamiCruiseGuy']The whole idea, is to discourage all these excess bags being checked. The weight of cargo in the aircraft belly is astonishing, when you consider the effect that has on fuel burn, the costs are astronomical. Go ahead, try checking a 50lb bag via FEDEX or UPS.......I am willing to bet, it will be more than tripple the price of a second checked bag. It so amazes me that people think nothing of paying 9 bucks to see a movie, and 5 more for a popcorn and 4 more for a drink, or 5 bucks for a stupidly named cup of coffee, but baggage charges for a 50 plus pound suitcase, or fuel surcharges to offset what we ALL know are outrageous fuel costs......well I've said it, don't shoot, we just have to all be realistic, these are the tough economic times we live in, and if we want luxury items such as cruise vacations, we have to be willing to suck it up and face it, or just stay home.[/quote]
You must work for the airlines and I see you live in Miami so you don't have to fly.....With the price of gasoline and everything else going up a lot of people are not going to cruise....I'm recieveing special prices from every cruise line there is every day in e-mail, so there must be a lot of people not cruising...I'm wondering how the airlines are going to make a profit by running off all their passengers and cutting back on how many flights that they have....Dennis

[quote name='MiamiCruiseGuy']The whole idea, is to discourage all these excess bags being checked. The weight of cargo in the aircraft belly is astonishing, when you consider the effect that has on fuel burn, the costs are astronomical. Go ahead, try checking a 50lb bag via FEDEX or UPS.......I am willing to bet, it will be more than tripple the price of a second checked bag. It so amazes me that people think nothing of paying 9 bucks to see a movie, and 5 more for a popcorn and 4 more for a drink, or 5 bucks for a stupidly named cup of coffee, but baggage charges for a 50 plus pound suitcase, or fuel surcharges to offset what we ALL know are outrageous fuel costs......well I've said it, don't shoot, we just have to all be realistic, these are the tough economic times we live in, and if we want luxury items such as cruise vacations, we have to be willing to suck it up and face it, or just stay home.[/quote]

No, it's gouging, pure and simple. Check prices between NY and Boston or NY and Baltimore/Washington. A 200 lb person gets a seat in the cabin, climate controlled and pressurized, for $75.00. A 50 lb bag, thrown in the hold, is $50.00 ?? Tell me that's reasonable. I'll just buy it a ticket and strap it in next to me. I'll be much more comfortable than if there was a person there and it won't get lost, all for an extra $25.

[quote name='Happy ks']Yes it is both ways.

Leave the hairdryer at home, the ship provides one although you may have to tolerate lesser quality for the week. Pack your 3-1-1 in your carry on and supplement a few things in your packed case. My toiletries altogether only weigh a couple of pounds.

The future is now, people need to start being smarter about packing and not try to take every little what-if item with them. Pack lighter weight clothing, mix and match, take fewer pair of shoes, [B][I]leave the extension cords and blenders at home[/I][/B] ;) :)[/quote]

music to my ears... :p

A~

[quote name='Happy ks']take fewer pair of shoes, [/QUOTE]

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh! The Humanity! :D

No really, this one will be tough for me - but I will get thru it. No kidding... It is easy for me to take one small suitcase with just shoes - but we usually drive to port. Those days are gone, unless we are driving. And yes, I admit shoes are one of my harmless vices. :D

We don't normally fly, but will be going to Hawaii in December. Flights were booked before United started charging for the first bag... so we each have one bag plus a carryon. Luckily, you don't need many clothes in Hawaii and our condo has a washer/dryer.

But the next time we fly will be the following December for a cruise. Who knows WHAT the rules will be by then. They will probably make the allowable weight & size smaller. I might as well start selling off my formal clothes on ebay now. :D

I am beginning to dislike flying a lot more before than I did before all the started. If it's within driving range, I won't fly anymore. Maybe the price of fuel will drop when they no longer have any passengers on the planes. Of course then the taxpayers will have to bail them out.....again!

Doug

IMHO, this luggage trend is the beginning of the end for "formal nights" as we know them on cruise lines... in the next few years it will become optional... (it actually already is optional), after which it will just fade away...

Again, JMHO...

LL

Archived