Delta 2nd Bag now $50

Mildred

Since I have never checked two suitcases and only rarely check one I don't see what the big deal is.

I have no problem doing a cruise with one carry on style suitcase and an oversized purse. Bathing suits take no space at all;)

The problem would be much worse for those doing cold climate holidays. A ski trip would get expensive with all the luggage that requires.

I don't think Delta is being unreasonable. Somehow they have to try to cover costs.

The fees for an extra piece of luggage or overwieght luggage are a lot higher than the impact the extra weight will have on the cost for additional fuel burn.

The airlines are trying to bring in more money without showing a bigger increase in fares and they are trying to reduce costs associated with baggage handling and fuel usage. The fuel usage part of this equation barely comes into play when looking at an individual person or bag; no where close to $25 dollars and up on an average flight. Why do you think the airlines charge the same for a 3.5 hour flight and a 1 hour flight on the same aircraft type?

The fees for an extra piece of luggage or overwieght luggage are a lot higher than the impact the extra weight will have on the cost for additional fuel burn.

The airlines are trying to bring in more money without showing a bigger increase in fares and they are trying to reduce costs associated with baggage handling and fuel usage. The fuel usage part of this equation barely comes into play when looking at an individual person or bag; no where close to $25 dollars and up on an average flight. Why do you think the airlines charge the same for a 3.5 hour flight and a 1 hour flight on the same aircraft type?

So what you are saying is, rather than get more money the airlines are just going to get passengers to pack fewer bags, which will help them much less than if everyone packed two bags and paid the baggage fee?

I wonder if that explains why some airlines now charge for the first bag.

So what you are saying is, rather than get more money the airlines are just going to get passengers to pack fewer bags, which will help them much less than if everyone packed two bags and paid the baggage fee?

I wonder if that explains why some airlines now charge for the first bag.

You are probably right on this; especially from the revenue generation side.

Reducing the number of bags will help the airlines save baggage handling costs (labor, equipment, expediting lost luggage, etc.) and fuel burn if a significant amount of luggage is reduced.

If someone travels with one 25lb bag, the fuel usage isn't changed if that person carries the bag on instead of checking it.

Keep in mind that if you booked your flight prior to April 9th, you will still have to pay the 2nd bag fee at check-in. Once you return home you can fill out the online form to get it refunded.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/second_bag_fee/index.jsp

Thank you for that information, I emailed Delta but surprise surprise I haven't gotten a response from them yet. We are flying down Delta and back Continental so hopefully they will stay as they are??

""Every time my DH and I complain about gas prices our son, who lives in the UK ""

Yes, we all know that in Europe the price of petrol is much higher but consider that they have to pay for national health care some way.

I was driving by the UPS Store yesterday, and I saw a sign that said "Have us ship your luggage!" I am quite sure sending your bags UPS ground would be much cheaper than paying the airlines. But how would that work for a cruise? Who would you send it to at the port, and how would you make sure it got onto the boat?

No, it's much more expensive. To ship a 50 lb bag from my house on the west coast, to Ft. Lauderdale by UPS the least expensive way, UPS Ground, which would take approximately five days, would cost $58.14. To ship with three day service brings the price up to $151.78 and it just increases as you decrease shipping time.

To choose this option, and I don't know why anyone would, you would have to have someone willing to receive your bag.

Just another example of ripping off/taking advantage of the consumer. And please, does anyone believe the ticket prices or luggage fee's will go away if gas prices go down?? I highly doubt it. Those fee's are here to stay... IMO

And please, does anyone believe the ticket prices or luggage fee's will go away if gas prices go down?
If the cost of fuel comes down, the total cost of travel will come down. It may not come back down to previous levels, but the prices being charged before were unsustainably low in the long term anyway. And it may be that the mix between the fare paid on the ticket and the add-on charges we now see is here to stay. But the total price will come down if the airlines' costs come down. That is the effect of a competitive market.

Keep in mind that if you booked your flight prior to April 9th, you will still have to pay the 2nd bag fee at check-in. Once you return home you can fill out the online form to get it refunded.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/second_bag_fee/index.jsp

Thank you for this post! I just filed my claim online with the link you provided. Gail

I have always thought it should be a pay-as-you-go system. Why should I be able to fly with 2 bags at the same price someone else does with 1. It only makes sense that I should pay more. If I want a soda and snack on board and you do not, why should you pay for something you are not receiving? Only fair....IMHO

DH and I took Amtrak this summer for our vacation and loved it....from New Orleans to Chicago to Minneapolis. When we were going to return home and checked our suitcase, we were told it weighed 55 pounds and the limit is 50 pounds. We groaned, but asked what the fine would be -- nada, zip, nothing -- we had to remove the 5 pounds of stuff or they wouldn't take the suitcase. I was so surprised to hear of a weight limit on the train. So, DH removed some hardcover books from the suitcase and put them in our backpacks and voila! the suitcase now weighed 50 pounds. So, okay, is this a fuel conservation thing because the extra 5 pounds are still on the train;) DH thinks it's a safety thing so baggage handlers don't have to hoist bags over 50 pounds and risk back injuries. He's probably correct in that assumption 'cause it wouldn't make sense to make us remove 5 pounds of stuff from the bag and just transfer them to another bag.

It may be easier to use one suitcase when packing for the tropics but for Alaska you need all the heavy winter items including coats, hats, scarves, mittens, sweaters, etc.

I agree..We fly to Alaska next week for a 7 day land tour followed by a 7 day cruise on HAL..

I e-mailed Delta as we fly to Anchorage from Florida & from Vancouver, BC home..Delta's FAQ section on baggage states:

QUOTE Ques: Will this fee be charged to International passengers that have connections/stopovers within the U.S.?

Ans: No, if an International passenger makes a connection/stopover on their originating flight to or from the US or at a later date during their travel within the U.S., the $50 2nd bag fee will not apply.UNQUOTE

My question to Delta was: "Am I correct in assuming, we have International Tickets with a stopover in Anchorage & are entitled to 2 Checked Bags per passenger"

This is the answer I received from Delta:

"Each passenger traveling internationally is permitted three pieces of luggage -two checked and one carry-on. All baggage must meet certain size and weight limits. For more information on these limits and any embargo restrictions, please visit our website at:

www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.jsp

Unquote...

So I think Delta is acknowledging that we are International Psgrs, but don't really know for sure..:confused: Therefore, don't know if Delta will charge us for one extra bag..;) We'll just have to play it by ear..

I'm trying my best to only have one checked piece for each of us, plus a carry-on, but it isn't easy!... We might need an extra bag for our formal clothes & extra walking shoes.. But we'll gladly pay the $25.00 extra.., After all the trip cost us thousands..

Our luggage is heavy..One 27 inch bag & one 26 inch bag weighs a little over 20 lbs each when empty..So we can only pack about 27-28 lbs of clothes consisting of formal as well as jeans/slacks, fleece jackets & vests, sweaters, flannel P.J's, Sweatshirts, hats, gloves, scarves etc.. Then we have Meds, Toiletries, extra walking shoes etc...We plan to wear our fleece Jackets on the plane & I'll be carrying my rain jacket..

Several people have suggested buying toiletries when we get to Alaska, but it's better to pay the $25.00 for an extra bag..Alaska's prices are much more expensive than Florida's prices...

Cheers..:) Betty

I agree..We fly to Alaska next week for a 7 day land tour followed by a 7 day cruise on HAL..

I e-mailed Delta as we fly to Anchorage from Florida & from Vancouver, BC home..Delta's FAQ section on baggage states:

QUOTE Ques: Will this fee be charged to International passengers that have connections/stopovers within the U.S.?

Ans: No, if an International passenger makes a connection/stopover on their originating flight to or from the US or at a later date during their travel within the U.S., the $50 2nd bag fee will not apply.UNQUOTE

My question to Delta was: "Am I correct in assuming, we have International Tickets with a stopover in Anchorage & are entitled to 2 Checked Bags per passenger"

"Each passenger traveling internationally is permitted three pieces of luggage -two checked and one carry-on. All baggage must meet certain size and weight limits. For more information on these limits and any embargo restrictions, please visit our website at:

Unquote...

So I think Delta is acknowledging that we are International Psgrs, but don't really know for sure..:confused: Therefore, don't know if Delta will charge us for one extra bag..;) We'll just have to play it by ear..

Unfortunately you are not an international passenger. Your flight to Anchorage is a domestic flight as you are originating in the US. To be an international traveller your travel would have to start from outside of the US.

Hey but at least on the return trip you shouldn't have to pay the baggage fee for the 2nd bag so you'll be able to bring home extra goodies.:)

Unfortunately you are not an international passenger. Your flight to Anchorage is a domestic flight as you are originating in the US. To be an international traveller your travel would have to start from outside of the US.

Hey but at least on the return trip you shouldn't have to pay the baggage fee for the 2nd bag so you'll be able to bring home extra goodies.:)

As the ship sails, Realize you interpret this differently & understand what you are saying, but still not sure you are correct...We are in possession of "Open Jaw Round trip Delta tickets"...

Outbound to ANC & Inbound from YVR..Therefore I contend that we are International Psgrs...Take a look at this answer again...

No, if an International passenger makes a connection/stopover on their originating flight to or from the US or at a later date during their travel within the U.S., the $50 2nd bag fee will not apply.UNQUOTE

We're making a stopover within the U.S. on our originating flight from the U.S.

Re your suggestion that "To be an international traveller your travel would have to start from outside of the US."

No where in Delta's FAQ section does it state we must originate our International travel outside of the US...

I suspect the Delta Agents at our airport will probably interpret this rule the same way you are..

I'm basing my argument on what our Airline's policy was many years ago..;) (Retired after 30 years from an International Airline)..

For example: If Passengers had our tickets & originated in LAX & traveled on a Domestic flt. from LAX to NYC, made a stopover in NYC, DCA, & BOS, Then flew from BOS a week later on one of our flights to Europe, we still considered them International Psgrs. with Open Jaw tickets...

Also realize rules constantly change, & there are so many different interpretations.. ;) That's why we have debating clubs, Lawyers & Judges..LOL The rule may very well have changed since I've retired, & we're prepared to pay the $25.00 (now $50.00), it's only money...LOL;)

In any event, you're right about us being able to bringing back lots of goodies & not pay extra on our return..Have to start my Christmas Shopping for our Granddaugheters..

Will try to post the outcome when we get back...

Cheers..:) Betty

I agree that "it never hurts to ask." But I wouldn't be optimistic in your case. In modern parlance, Anchorage is not a "stopover", it's a destination. DL's baggage rules are in a table with the heading of destination. The same baggage fee rules apply to destinations of the 50 US states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

Your ticket is simply open-jaw with a domestic outbound and an international return. It's not that uncommon, we have a similar situation coming up in December on DL -- not an open-jaw per se but a domestic outbound and an international return after a cruise. It wouldn't occur to me (a Skyteam, but not DL, elite with reasonable knowledge of how the system works) to expect to be exempt from the domestic bag charges on the outbound. It is reasonable for DL to apply domestic rules to your (and our) outbound and international rules on the return.

I agree that "it never hurts to ask." But I wouldn't be optimistic in your case. In modern parlance, Anchorage is not a "stopover", it's a destination. DL's baggage rules are in a table with the heading of destination. The same baggage fee rules apply to destinations of the 50 US states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

Your ticket is simply open-jaw with a domestic outbound and an international return. It's not that uncommon, we have a similar situation coming up in December on DL -- not an open-jaw per se but a domestic outbound and an international return after a cruise. It wouldn't occur to me (a Skyteam, but not DL, elite with reasonable knowledge of how the system works) to expect to be exempt from the domestic bag charges on the outbound. It is reasonable for DL to apply domestic rules to your (and our) outbound and international rules on the return.

Shorex, You're probably right & I'm not too optimistic..;) Realize it's not uncommon, as have flown on open Jaw tickets many times, but never this way..My main concern was the very un-clear answer to my e-mail from DL.. The DL Agent never answered my question. I often wonder if Customer Service people really read these e-mails & letters before sending out their stock answers..

My e-mail to DL spelled out all the flights, connx & destinations.. I trust my question was clear...

Quote "Am I correct in assuming, we have International Tickets with a stopover in Anchorage & are entitled to 2 Checked Bags per passenger" Unquote

Quote: Dear Mr. xxxx (Of course I signed my name but they addressed the reply to DH)

"Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

Each passenger traveling internationally is permitted three pieces of luggage -two checked and one carry-on. All baggage must meet certain size and weight limits. For more information on these limits and any embargo restrictions, please visit our website at:

Your selection of Delta is appreciated, and we will always do our best to merit your confidence and support. Unquote

Their answer certainly doesn't merit my confidence :confused: & still believe that DL's FAQ section as well as that answer is quite ambiguous.. However, we're certainly not going to argue the point with DL & we're quite prepared to pay the $25.00..

Thanks for your input..Cheers..:) Betty

Realize you interpret this differently & understand what you are saying, but still not sure you are correct...We are in possession of "Open Jaw Round trip Delta tickets"...

And your point is?? "Open Jaw" has no relevance.

Outbound to ANC & Inbound from YVR..Therefore I contend that we are International Psgrs...

And your contention is simply incorrect. You are international for the second portion of your ticket, not the first.

We're making a stopover within the U.S. on our originating flight from the U.S.

No, you are not. You have an incorrect assumption of what a "stopover" is. This is a specific, technical term within ticketing rules, and you are in error.

And your point is?? "Open Jaw" has no relevance.

And your contention is simply incorrect. You are international for the second portion of your ticket, not the first.

No, you are not. You have an incorrect assumption of what a "stopover" is. This is a specific, technical term within ticketing rules, and you are in error.

Wow...Nothing like telling it like it is...Do you really have to be so condescending :( with your answers?

Assuming you are in the travel field, would you really address your customers the same way? Looks to me like Customer Service has gone by the way-side in many areas.. :rolleyes:

Since you have seemed to ignore my last post, there is no point in your answering me, as I have no intention of debating the issue with you..

JMO...Betty

He answered that way because you keep arguing with him.

You do NOT have a stopover in Anchorage. You are ending the first leg of your journey there. A stopover in airline parlance is completely different.

In Delta's eyes you are not an international passenger for your flight to Anchorage.

He answered that way because you keep arguing with him.

WRP...First of all, where are you getting this information?... Are you making it up? I have never argued with Flytalker at all as have never even seen any previous posts by him!

The only two posters I've discussed this with were, "As the ship Sails" & "Shorex"...They both were quite nice in their reply & I acknowledged to both of them that they may be right..

"You do NOT have a stopover in Anchorage. You are ending the first leg of your journey there. A stopover in airline parlance is completely different. "

OK, I'll accept that if you can explain the difference in the "stopover rule in Airline parlance"..I know what the stop-over rule used to mean years ago, but wonder if the meaning has changed & what is it now..

In Delta's eyes you are not an international passenger for your flight to Anchorage.

You seem so positive in your answers, so does that mean that you work for Delta in a Managerial capacity?

If so, how would you explain the answer I received from one of your Agents..(which was quoted in two subsequent posts)...If you don't work for Delta, can you logically explain what their e-mail means?

I don't understand why everyone seems to ignore the e-mail response I received from Delta..If you consider that to be argumentative, so be it..

Betty

Archived