Delta 2nd Bag now $50

Mildred

My father in law got this suitcase that is carry on allowable that I swear fits around two weeks worth of outfits. I would rather have this ship do some laundry if needed for around 30 rather than pay 50 for an extra suitcase.

Point me in that direction! What brand...any photos??

$50.00????? That's outrageous!

True but they're still the only airline that don't charge for a 1st checked bag. I've learned to pack 1 bag and 1 carryon and hope that they don't start charging for a 1st bag.

True but they're still the only airline that don't charge for a 1st checked bag. I've learned to pack 1 bag and 1 carryon and hope that they don't start charging for a 1st bag.

Actually, on Southwest..."luggage travels free"

:D

A~

Point me in that direction! What brand...any photos??

I will give him a call and let you know what the brand is! It is so compact yet folds out and out like the petals on a rose.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=139

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=42

He uses both of these as carry ons for all major flights. The first one counts as an under the seat back pack and the second an over head carry on. He swears by these and travels regularly. In fact he is going to Tahiti in September and taking just these two suitcases.

Well' date=' they don't charge anything for the first bag...so best way to avoid the increased charge is don't take 2 bags. Simple.[/quote']

Just be careful the bag does not weigh more than 50 lbs or you will be charged extra. The newest must have of our packing is a suitcase scale. We were over by 2 lbs in Aruba and had to rearrange items in bags and then go to the end of the line to start check in again. I did not want to pay $50.00 for 2 lbs.:eek:

I took two friend to the airport last night. They were flying to South Africa, so were entitled to 2 50-lb bags. They were taking home some of a crewmember's stuff in addition to their own and her bags were both oversized and overweight. Delta would have charged $80 for the overweight (62 lbs) and $150 for the oversize (by 2 inches) PER BAG.:eek: So off we went to Kohl's for some inexpensive lightweight luggage. They were able to get all but a few items packed (I have a nice new jacket now:) ).

But what really sucked was the online checkin - for security reasons (according to the rep I spoke with) they could only check in from LAX to JFK, so the system automatically defaulted to charging them for the second bag. We just checked them in and checked the bags in at the airport (and they were checked through to Capetown even though the passengers couldn't be until they arrived at JFK), but I thought that was pretty cheeky of Delta.

Up and up and on and on. Definate gouging going on "take it or leave it". We are booked on JetBlue in Dec. but they will all probably follow suit. Southwest is the only smart airline that hedged their fuel and locked in. Someone should get a raise there. Wish their schedules were doable for us.

Soon they will be charging cruisers extra money for the weight they gained during the cruise on ther flight back.

They will weigh you when you bored, the flight to the port and weigh you when your on your flight back home.

Good luck with this one!!!:D

Thanks for posting about the increase. It's the first I've heard of it.

We use usually use Delta and this doesn't make me a happy customer. $50.00 is pretty steep. :(

Time to ship our luggage. You can actually ship it on Delta Freight (I've used them for other things) and I'll bet it costs you less than $50. I wonder if we could ship UPS or USPS and pick it up in the port town (general delivery)'

Soon they will be charging cruisers extra money for the weight they gained during the cruise on ther flight back.

They will weigh you when you bored, the flight to the port and weigh you when your on your flight back home.

This is a joke (so far), but if they decide they can get away with it, they will.................

http://flyderrie-air.com/

Maybe I will shop for gauze clothing. I have heard there are some that are not see through................:o

Actually most US airlines don't charge for the first bag...of course if you go in the front few seats, you can check 3 and carry on 1 at no cost. This is for domestic flights, International flights have different rules. Also, luggage loss and damage limits are far different on domestic vs. International flights, so those flying internationally be aware of the low luggage liability for the airline.

At least Southwest still lets you check two bags per person before they start charging extra.

I wonder... if you take a "carry-on" that is too large to fit in the overhead bin, or if they just run out of room, they "gate-check" it, do you suppose they're going to charge you $50 for that as well?

As long as you're sure you've packed all your TSA prohibited items in your "official" checked bag, I think we're all going to have to get creative and pack a larger carry-on bag... that or just wear 6 or 7 shirts! Who needs a suitcase?:p

normally i d just carry a folded duffel bag in my luggage

to put our purchase s at the port of call s..now im going

to rethink my port purchase s..:(

Jewelry is always very packable and wearable and makes for a great port purchase...:D

Time to ship our luggage. You can actually ship it on Delta Freight (I've used them for other things) and I'll bet it costs you less than $50. I wonder if we could ship UPS or USPS and pick it up in the port town (general delivery)'

When we used to travel to disney for vaction before moving to florida, we use to ship our luggage via FEDEX directly to the hotel that we were staying at and was always there waiting for us with never having a problem.

Yes, it is time to look at all alternatives.

I've even been thinking about driving to ports rather than flying :eek: . (shuddering) It's tough lovin' this style of vacation when you're livin' in the Midwest far, far away from port :)

I have several friends in the airline industry and they are saying exactly that. That it could happen where passangers will be charged by their weight. There will be a standard amle and female and then over that the price will be more.....;)

Don't shoot me...just what they are saying......

Archived