Delta 2nd Bag now $50

Mildred

[quote name='trock']for 2nd Checked bag... better get used to seeing shorts in the dinning room:eek:
This is just getting crazy
better off just wearing EVERYTHING to the ship!lol or UPS'ing the luggage to a UPS store and picking it up along the way...

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/delta_dc[/url][/QUOTE]

Just an FYI for people who use Delta (found this out first hand, a few weeks ago). When you check in/print boarding passes on line, make sure you indicate how many bags each person is checking. Delta does allow the first bag/per passenger for free, however, if you do not let them know when you do the on-line check-in, they will charge you $3.00 per bag at curb-side check-in. Cost us $9 last trip for 3 bags :(

We're going to Guatemala in August, have already purchased tickets, am I reading the news article correct that if you have already purchased tickets that you get the rate of $25 per bag? Our 2nd bag was for supplies for the mission trip, not clothing. We're talking about 25 bags here, that really adds $$$$$:(

I think it would be funny if people just started layering clothes on themselves to fly....let's see, a few pairs of undies, swimsuit, couple of tanks tops, followed by shorts, then pants, then to finish it off, a formal dress or suit for the men over everything . And in my carry-on, shoes, jewelry and meds....problem solved....LOL!!

[quote name='Georgia Peach 4']We're going to Guatemala in August, have already purchased tickets, am I reading the news article correct that if you have already purchased tickets that you get the rate of $25 per bag? Our 2nd bag was for supplies for the mission trip, not clothing. We're talking about 25 bags here, that really adds $$$$$:([/quote]
Have you looked in to shipping these DHL? Seems like it should be cheaper?:eek:

[quote name='crzndeb']I think it would be funny if people just started layering clothes on themselves to fly....let's see, a few pairs of undies, swimsuit, couple of tanks tops, followed by shorts, then pants, then to finish it off, a formal dress or suit for the men over everything . And in my carry-on, shoes, jewelry and meds....problem solved....LOL!![/quote]
Thats what I said in my post.. just wear everything!
You may not be able to sit down though.. lOL

[quote name='deborahjo']Carnival's new slogan-----"Come sail with Carnival and wear as little as you want." Would make sense. or "Carnival has Bigger and Newer Washers and Dryers. Come try them out on your next cruise."[/quote]
lol The new suite perks are going to be stackables in your cabin!

[quote name='bigsky']It's impossible to only ck in two bags. What about the bag you put all your toiletries in? Hairdryer, makeup, lotions, etc...

Is this both ways as well? So it's going to cost me an extra 100.00 to fly?![/QUOTE]

That's my issue, too. It's not too many clothes, it's the WEIGHT of my luggage overall after bringing toiletries. I used to put those in my carry on back in the good old days. It's a catch 22 - paying for overweight bags cost x amount, buying all toiletries in the port city costs as much or more. Frustrating and annoying.

Don't forget that some carriers also weigh carryon luggage. We flew Grenadines Air last month and had to weigh both checked bags as well as carryon bags when checking in on our flights. And while they haven't always been enforced, some airlines also have carryon weight allowances. When we flew Virgin Atlantic to London a few years ago, we had small enough backpacks according to dimensions but they weighed them at checkin and told us they had to be checked instead of carryon because of their weight. Then you have sightseeing tours such as Scenic Airlines (Grand Canyon) that have the passenger step on the scale to do proper seat assignment (as did Blue Hawaiian helicopters in Hawaii last year).

Doing a load of laundry and renting snorkel gear versus bringing your own is definitely a consideration to ease costs! At least for me it is. And calculating in overall airfare cost since some charge for window/aisle seat, bages, curbside checkin, etc is definitely a factor in the overall cost equation. The cost analysis on the Southwest homepage really made me think!

[quote name='trock']I dont get it.. I mean, I get the whole gas/fuel issue..
But $50 is steep

...[/quote]
I agree. A 50lb piece of luggage would probably amount to less than 50 cents additional fuel burn on a large aircraft over a 2.5 hour flight. The other $49.50 or so must go to handling costs like baggage handlers, tugs, ground fuel, baggage carts, conveyer systems, etc.; expenses that have been around for a while already.:confused:

As fewer amounts of luggage feed the system, the airlines can reduce their baggage handling costs and get additional revenue from the charges for the checked bags.

[FONT=Arial]With changing rules we will all have to change our packing habits. Here are a few ideas I have used to reduce toiletries. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Buy travel size container or transfer the products to a 3 oz container. Eagle Creek make a high quality travel size bottles. [URL="http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/travel_necessities/Pack-It-LiquidGel-Set-40456/"][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/travel_necessities/Pack-It-LiquidGel-Set-40456/[/COLOR][/URL] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Use a small atomizer for perfume or cologne. Sophora.com sells a nice one [URL="http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P204715&cm_mmc=us_search-_-NexTag-_-P204715-_-1055672&_requestid=42976&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=12-47537348-2"][COLOR=#800080]http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P204715&cm_mmc=us_search-_-NexTag-_-P204715-_-1055672&_requestid=42976&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=12-47537348-2[/COLOR][/URL] .[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Shaving oils are a great way to reduce bulk. [URL="http://www.shavingoilcentral.com/catalog_soc/index.html"][COLOR=#800080]http://www.shavingoilcentral.com/catalog_soc/index.html[/COLOR][/URL] . I use the one from Pacific Shaving Company.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Shak[/FONT]

[quote name='funfamilyfun']Are these prices for new bookings or everyone? We booked our flights for our March 09 cruise in April 08. Do we still pay?

We have small suitcases, so we each brought 2 :eek: suitcases on our last cruise! I'll start looking for bigger and lighter luggage! I'd bet we could easily fit each of us in one large suitcase, we just usually go on short trips and like the small suitcase to carry on.[/quote]

We booked out tickets for our cruise departing in October 2008 back in December 2008. Here is what Delta's currently has listed on their website.

[B]Economy Class - 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
[/B]For customers who purchased tickets on or after April 9 - 1 Checked Bag

[B]Economy Class - 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
[/B]For customers who purchased tickets prior to April 9, 2008 - 2 Checked Bags

I guess I and my GF are lucky that we are both frequent fliers and have status on Star Alliance airlines, which fly out of our home city (USAirways, United) and they code share. I spent 10 days in NJ on business and I had one checked bag (duffel back that when full with toiletries is 45 lbs), 1 carry one medium size roller for my business stuff and my laptop backpack which holds a ton of other stuff.

I did see a lot of people getting charge at the airport for their baggage and many of them were not happy. I have a great Eddie Bauer foldover that I use for my shorter trips that will hold about 5 business days worth of clothes for me also if I don't feel like checking a bag at all.

However, how you pack makes a big difference. I'm a bit guy (6'2", 300lbs) and all my clothes are bigger than the average humans so they will weigh more. But when you think about it, you should only need a couple pairs of shorts, swimsuit, and some nice dinner clothes. How much can you possibly bring on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean?

[quote name='bigsky']It's impossible to only ck in two bags. What about the bag you put all your toiletries in? Hairdryer, makeup, lotions, etc...

Is this both ways as well? So it's going to cost me an extra 100.00 to fly?![/quote]

We are going down a day early, so our plan is to pick-up alot of those types of things in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Ok, OK, enough is enough with this xtra baggage cost.

DH weighs about 180 lbs. I weigh - well, let's just say under 145 right now. We check into a Delta flight and are allowed one 50-lb bag each and are charged $50 for first bag over that quantity -- each way.

We get on the airplane and are seated beside a pax that weighs well over 200 lbs, for the heck of it, let's say 250 because we all know where I'm going with this.

The pax that weighs 50 to 100 lbs more than us has paid the same amount for the flight as us and is allowed to check the same amount of poundage of luggage free as us.

Where is the equity in the cost?

Personally, I think airlines should start charging per pound for pax and luggage combined to help cut fuel costs.

I feel I am being discriminated against by paying the same fare as someone who weighs up to 100 or more pounds than me and is still allowed to check the same weight luggage in for free as me.

May seem cruel for my thinking, but heck, I'm looking at the big picture here.

Maybe airlines need to start charging for the total weight per pax onboard - body weight plus luggage weight.

Dianne

[quote name='Noire'][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Yeah right. You know people will start calling the ACLU talking about discrimination.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yep, meanwhile those who weigh less are paying for those who weigh more and those who weigh more are not pulling the price for their own weight.:confused:

Dianne

I know I'll be flamed for this but it's been on my mind ever since airlines started charging extra for the second checked bag.

Archived