Silly questions ... beach blanket?

mbmadeline

When going to a beach destination, can we pack a beach blanket to lay out on in the sand? Or is that silly? Can't imagine you get off the ship and lay on sand? I'd get the cruise lines or islands provide sand or lounge chairs as around a pool... are they free? do you rent them? are there plenty for all guests? Or do people bring beach towels or blankets to lay out on?

I can't imagine anyone packing a beach blanet what with the airline restrictions and the charging of extra luggage.

All ships provide a beach towel -- some cruise lines may have you sign for them -- just to make certain that you bring it back to the ship.

Are you refering to a cruise line's Private Island??? If so -- the lounge chairs are free.

As for beaches in various ports -- that dpends on where you go. Some charge and some don't.

Well it's not for someone who hasn't cruised before ...and certainly not never having cruised to beach destinations... not quite the friendly and helpful cruise critic member answer I expected.

Don't worry - there is nearly always one 'clever' person on a thread with nothing helpful to add - just ignore them.

You can, of course, pack a beach blanket if you want to - some are lightweight and will not take up that much room at the bottom of a suitcase. However, on most beaches you will find chairs and umbrellas to rent - not many free ones unless you pay a day rate to a beach. As said before, you will be provided with beach towels by the ship which you can take ashore but do remember to bring them back on board to be laundered and replaced the next day.

Have a great cruise:D .

You may take the pool towels off the ship--they will be more than sufficient to lie on at the beach. No need to bring anything of your own--towels and blankets will get sandy and wet, with no way to dry/wash them!

mdmadeline,

When we go to the beach, we take the beach towels provided by the cruise line and, when available, rent or use beach chairs on the beaches. The availability varies. Often, if you each lunch at a beach side restaurant, they will allow you to use their chairs and umbrellas at no cost. Sometimes, beach front hotels have a few to use their facilities including pools and chairs/towels. In Bermuda, for example, we paid $10/chair at Horseshoe Bay for the day. This is a beach with no restaurants/hotels. Best thing to do is to take the towels and then ask when you get to the beach OR if you know the beach you will visit in advance, research it on the Web or go to the Ports of Call section to see if there is a forum for the island in question. Good luck and enjoy your days at the beach.

You can always take more towels from the ship. You can get them on the pool deck(you may have to sign for them), but you should also be able to get them in the spa with no hassle. And there are always your room towels, which the steward can replace for you later.

I am bringing a queen size flat sheet, not as bulky as a blanket, should provide a good enough layer between me and the sand :D

That's a really good idea - one to copy next year when I take my two grandchildren (5 and 3) on their first cruise:D

I do not know if these are sold at every Walmart (i live at the beach so they may be regional), but I have a blanket that I bought there that is made of paper. It is waterproof, machine washable and super lightweight. Since it is waterproof it dries of very quickly and sand brushes off very easily. They are blue, very thin and soft considering they are made of paper. Large enough for a couple people plus your belongings. I think they were only around $10. I just tried doing a search online and could not find them. But if you happen to see them, they are great!

Flat sheets would be a bad idea, imo-- those sheets are woven to breathe, so there's tiny holes between the weave, which I would think would seep sand through them as soon as you sat down and moved around on them :eek:

I am bringing a queen size flat sheet, not as bulky as a blanket, should provide a good enough layer between me and the sand :D

I do the same thing when I go to the regular old beach in NJ.

But I was just in the Outer Banks last week and saw something that might work as well and take up even less room than a sheet and not hold as much sand or water. It was called Parachute Blanket or something, but it was made from parachute material (almost like Tyvek), really thin and really light. And it rolls up (supposedly) into a bag about the size of a large coffee mug. I don't think you could get a queen size sheet in the same space. :)

Just google "parachute beach" and you'll get a few websites.

I do not know if these are sold at every Walmart (i live at the beach so they may be regional), but I have a blanket that I bought there that is made of paper. It is waterproof, machine washable and super lightweight. Since it is waterproof it dries of very quickly and sand brushes off very easily. They are blue, very thin and soft considering they are made of paper. Large enough for a couple people plus your belongings. I think they were only around $10. I just tried doing a search online and could not find them. But if you happen to see them, they are great!

I think it's called a Neat Sheet...love it! Has metal weights in the corners so it does not blow away. You can wash it. I use mine on the beaches in Delaware often and have had same one for some time now.

I also saw people bringing their own beach chairs that have a shoulder strap with them to Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda. Easier to rent one though.

Lived on Long Island for many years. I used sheets many times with no problems.

I too lived in Long Beach, Long Island & we always used sheets on the beach...Would not pack one though only because of the baggage restrictions...We use the Ship's Beach towels..HAL does not ask that you sign for them & you can take as many as you want..Just bring them back to the ship..

Enjoy your Cruise..:) Betty

Or you could stop in one of the shops near the port and see if they have a grass mat that rolls up. We use them a lot on the beach. They're not terribly expensive. I like to use one even when I'm using a lounge chair to set my stuff on so it doesn't get too sandy. (Some sand is inevitable.)

I thought about bringing a sheet but forgot. I had planned to bring one that I didn't care about any longer and then toss it after our last beach day so I'd have room for souvenirs.

Robin

:) we always take our neat sheet. about $8 at walmart, have weights in the corners. they do not weigh much, i put it in the bottom of my duffle or front pocket of suitcase. they do not get hot,or wet wet we love ours. then i throw it in the washer when we get home. in fact we have 2 one was a gift in our xmas basket.

Archived