Balcony decorations

I got an idea from a post on CC about decorations for balconies. Then today I see where people bring wind socks as a means of being able to distinguish your room while in port. Any other ideas for clever ways to decorate? Comments as to pros and cons of each will be appreciated.

It'll will be me, my 2 sisters and our husbands, and I'd love to surprise them with something cute to decorate their balconies.

Thanks in advance.

I am a huge sports fan and always sail in the fall: late October/early November. Last year as I sailed the Red Sox were in the World Series and the Patriots had their regular football games. I bring 'flag's for my hometown team and hang them out there.

We also had a 60th birthday in our group last year so before sailing I printed out a massive sign - one letter per page that said "Today is Marty's 60th Birthday" and we hung that up on the glass wall of our verandah. Of course it was nicely timed with a stop in St. Thomas and our ship just happened to be at the dock in the right direction so that anyone who looked up at our ship saw that sign.

I just make sure that anything I put/hang out there I clean up 100% before disembarking so nobody else has to pick up my mess.

Depending on what the decorations are and where you cabin is, your steward may remove the items from your balcony per the captain. I know that lights are not permitted on the balconies ever.

I got an idea from a post on CC about decorations for balconies. Then today I see where people bring wind socks as a means of being able to distinguish your room while in port. Any other ideas for clever ways to decorate? Comments as to pros and cons of each will be appreciated.

It'll will be me, my 2 sisters and our husbands, and I'd love to surprise them with something cute to decorate their balconies.

Thanks in advance.

I'm bringing a flag that means something personal to me. I was absolutely amazed at the number of websites selling flags out there. If you do decide to do this, I would recommend the "garden flag" size (12" x 18") -- I think that any larger might not be allowed.

Tee

Carnival tells you that nothing is to be left on the balcony. I would think this would include signs and flags.

Remember that people SMOKE on their balcony and up on some areas of the open decks. Ashes blow. Stupid people will even throw their lit butts over railings, which can blow onto anyone's balcony.

Thanks, Rick, you answered my question. I hadn't seen stuff of Princess balconies and was just wondering what the policy was. It sort of makes sense.

Instead of the balcony, perhaps you could do something upon one of the cabin walls. Ours are usually metal and we take along some magnets and put up a map of where we are sailing. It gives us an idea of the lay of the land (and sea?), plus it give the cabin a personal touch.

I was on a Princess Cruise - the CB last fall where we hung the flags and the Happy Birthday sign. The Birthday sign was WELL taped so there was no chance of it blowing anywhere. We did leave it up over night but took it down the next day as we were at sea.

We did take the flags down each night and rehang them in the mornings but our cabin steward never removed them or said anything other than commenting to us that he liked them.

Use zip ties to hold your wind sock or flags in place. My DH did this last year. He had his lovely :rolleyes: NASCAR flag hanging from an aft balcony on the Vision of the Seas. No I didn't know he was bringing it with until I saw it hanging off the balcony railing.

The only thing I bring on our Alaskan cruises, to "decorate" my cabin is a 3"X3" magnet (for the outside of our cabin door), with an Alaskan scene on it.....bear, wolf, whale, mountains. Since the doors are metal, no tape, etc. is needed. This sure helps to i.d. your cabin when you are walking down a long hall of "look alikes". Last year we were walking back to our cabin late one night, with a couple in front of us. I heard the lady say to her husband..."I love that magnet on that door, because I know ours is the next cabin." Helps other, too.....I reckon :D gg

I'd read a lot of postings about xmas decorations and lights on the RCCL board last year....even lights on the deck. So I bought a few strings of battery operated LED xmas lights. We strung them on the balcony, and had them well taped. They were cute and not obnoxious, because the lights were pretty small. We never had a problem with them, nor were they removed by the steward. We had an aft/stern facing balcony though, if that makes a difference.

Carnival tells you that nothing is to be left on the balcony. I would think this would include signs and flags.

Remember that people SMOKE on their balcony and up on some areas of the open decks. Ashes blow. Stupid people will even throw their lit butts over railings, which can blow onto anyone's balcony.

I forgot about this. Instead of outside, tape your flag inside the window or glass door. Or you can use magnets and attach it to the metal frame, letting it hang down over the glass on the inside. You should still be able to see it from the port.

You don't say which ship you are on.....but most of the cruise lines prohibit decorations, lights and other items being on the balcony. They can be a fire hazard and can impede the progress of emergency personnel who might need to access the ship via the balconies. Depending upon the type of decoration, they can come loose when the ship is in motion and perhaps cause injury to others or to property.

If found, your room steward will remove them.

Archived