Airline Woes

Woobstr112G

:( I know this isn't princess specific, but is information we all need to know. This link was a posting from a fellow member of my roll call. It advises of delta raising checked baggage fees for a second time.....:(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15657822&postcount=4112

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Wow, this is starting to add up! It makes renting a tux on board a more attractive option (or foregoing the formal dinner night).

Cept I bought my own tux before my last cruise and I now may have to leave it at home.......:( :( :(

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

These fees are starting to get out of hand. My wife and I have decided that unless we are driving to a port, we will no longer bring formal attire with us, and just eat in the buffet or ask our tablemates indulgence on formal nights.

These fees apply to domestic flights. Overseas travel can still fly with no charge for luggage. Try to simplify your wardrobes, all co-ordinating with one dressy top if you go formal. Men, a jacket and tie would suffice in most dining rooms. We have opted to go without eating in the dining room on formal nites. We'll eat at the buffet or on our balconey. Yes, many traditional cruisers are very partial to formal nites. My DH was a career military officer--had more than our share of formal nites. We now vacation as informally as possible. Times they are a'changin'. Pat

After hearing of Deltas' announcement I checke Air Trans web site. We can take one bag for free. If we check in on the net we can check the 2nd. bag for $10. If we wait and check in at the airport it will be $20. By the way Air Tran has pretty good rates from Ohio to Florida right now. Carolyn

These fees apply to domestic flights. Overseas travel can still fly with no charge for luggage. Try to simplify your wardrobes, all co-ordinating with one dressy top if you go formal. Men, a jacket and tie would suffice in most dining rooms. We have opted to go without eating in the dining room on formal nites. We'll eat at the buffet or on our balconey. Yes, many traditional cruisers are very partial to formal nites. My DH was a career military officer--had more than our share of formal nites. We now vacation as informally as possible. Times they are a'changin'. Pat

I was just thinking about this today.

How much lighter our bags would be if we just omitted the formal wear, the shoes, tie clips, the purses, the tie, etc, etc.

But, I don't think cruise lines will ever give up Formal nite, it's to much of a tradition. :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about this today.

How much lighter our bags would be if we just omitted the formal wear, the shoes, tie clips, the purses, the tie, etc, etc.

But, I don't think cruise lines will ever give up Formal nite, it's to much of a tradition. :rolleyes:

How about leaving the coffee pot, steamer, duct tape, DVD player, laptop, speakers, booze, power cord, etc.. That way you can dress appropriately for formal night and not worry about the extra weight.. :rolleyes:

My husband and I were wondering tonight how one checked bag and one carryon isn't enough. Allowable carryon bags are pretty roomy--before we booked on JetBlue (which allows 1st checked bag free), we were planning on each having one and sharing a checked bag to cut costs. We still might do that, just for efficiency's sake.

If we do it, and find ourselves woefully short on necessary items, we'll make sure to let you all know! ;)

I just take a nice pair of black pants and a dressy top or two for formal wear. I can wear the pants with more casual tops for smart casual nights and the sandles I wear can also double for smart casual nights. Really doesn't take up extra room when you plan ahead. SW Air still allows two bags to be checked; at least for my next cruise which is a b2b and two checked bags will be appreciated. It really doesn't take that much effort to dress appropriately. Formal wear means different things to different people. For me, a dressy top and nice black pants does it.

How about leaving the coffee pot, steamer, duct tape, DVD player, laptop, speakers, booze, power cord, etc.. That way you can dress appropriately for formal night and not worry about the extra weight.. :rolleyes:

You forgot the Jeans. :rolleyes:

Baggage is not the only surcharge on airlines.

Here is a chart of fuel surcharges on foreign airlines. http://www.globaltravel.com.sg/airline-fuel.php

and read this today:

MINNEAPOLIS - Northwest Airlines Corp. confirmed on Thursday that it will add fuel surcharges of up to $80 for many domestic round-trip tickets.The surcharge will apply to travel to about 7,000 city pairs beginning Jan. 10,

Archived