Which Cat C on PG?

Olive

We are considering PG to French Polynesia. I can't imagine doing it without a balcony, although the listed balcony size for the cat C cabins is pretty small. I did notice that some (aft, I think) cabins have larger balconies but showers only in the bathroom. I rarely use the tubs on cruises anyway, so this wouldn't be a problem. Any inside advice about the cat C cabins? Serious vibration problems if we are lucky enough to snag an aft? Unexpected poles through the middle of the cabins? If anyone has photos of the "special" cat C cabins, I would love to see them.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Look at the deck plans for deck 8. The aft cabins were created from the

Connoisseur Club, which was right under La Palette (at night, the disco).

We have been on the PG five times. She's a small ship, with so many places to enjoy cruising (by yourself or with a few GREAT passengers), that we don't spend a lot of money on high end staterooms. In fact, I think our favorite is deck four, midships (stateroom 423-427 range). These have very little motion (if you are on one of the longer cruises outside the Societies), and you can spend the money you save on excursions.

You will enjoy whatever you pick. Just be prepared to be spoiled for any other cruise line!

I'm another one on the side of the low-level, non-balcony cabins. We always book a window cabin on deck 5. We're back for our 4th trip (5th PG cruise, technically speaking since one was a b2b), this December. Although we love balconies (have always had a balcony on other RSSC ships), we too spend lots of time out on deck wandering around, sitting, leaning over the rail. The sticker shock of the upgrade has always held us back. And yes, the balconies are small, smaller than Voyager or Navigator standard balconies.

We will soon be taking our 4th cruise on the Gauguin and wouldn't cruise without a balcony. Love having breakfast and afternoon coctails on the balcony. Also leaving the door open at night . It's great!! We have had 724, 726, and 705. 705 is our favorite and we have reserved it for our next cruise.

The balcony is not big, but certainly big enough for sitting and enjoying the cruise....Also great for viewing the islands as the ship approaches and leaves. Of course you could do this on deck, but nice to have your own balcony.

For us it's worth the additional cost.....

Patricia

Like Wendy, I would probably recommend a balcony on most ships, but the PG is a different animal. I have made more friends on her than any other ship. This is not a 3000 passenger "Aircraft Carrier", it is very intimate even in the public areas.

I am MUCH more inclined to spend my time, day or night, somewhere on deck 8 (pool, poolside bar, La Palette, Le Grill, etc) than holed up in my stateroom.

We are considering PG to French Polynesia. I can't imagine doing it without a balcony, although the listed balcony size for the cat C cabins is pretty small. I did notice that some (aft, I think) cabins have larger balconies but showers only in the bathroom. I rarely use the tubs on cruises anyway, so this wouldn't be a problem. Any inside advice about the cat C cabins? Serious vibration problems if we are lucky enough to snag an aft? Unexpected poles through the middle of the cabins? If anyone has photos of the "special" cat C cabins, I would love to see them.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Slight vibrtion everywhere- it IS a small ship, but you get acclimated to the vibration pretty fast.

Our recent PG cruise (14 nights) was our best trip to Tahiti- we have done Princess Papeete to Honolulu, Tahitian princess in FP and, earlier, Ren cruises- PG is the best we have experienced.

Enjoy

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a feeling we are going to have to be looking at summer 2010 to get a chance at an aft balcony! It's nice to hear that people have been pleased without in case we get stuck. I am leaning toward one of the 10+ night society islands/marquesas/maybe cook islands cruises, with a land package. I was a little worried about PG because of some negative reviews, but she clearly has die hard fans!

This thread had some info on cat C cabins on the PG with showers only, and larger balconies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=795767&highlight=balcony

I'm in the no balcony camp for the PG (not that you asked). From what I recall, the cost difference was enough to cover my air expenses and I doubt I would get much use of the balcony with all the activities available and no sea days on my itinerary.

Don't delay your trip on the PG for too long: it may be sailing in Summer 2010 and then again it may not.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a feeling we are going to have to be looking at summer 2010 to get a chance at an aft balcony! It's nice to hear that people have been pleased without in case we get stuck. I am leaning toward one of the 10+ night society islands/marquesas/maybe cook islands cruises, with a land package. I was a little worried about PG because of some negative reviews, but she clearly has die hard fans!

I couldn't go to such a beautiful place without a balcony. Too afraid of missing any of the scenery. If you really want to snag one of those aft balcony cabins then you are going to have to make a job of checking for when the 2010 bookings open up. You have to be quick off the mark the moment 2010 opens if you are going to have any hope of getting one at all. They are the most coveted location on the ship without having to pay for the upper end suites. Also, there may be 5 of them but only 3 are any good for booking. Regent really does not like booking their pax into the two end cabins as they are so much smaller then a normal C cabin. It's the middle 3 that you should be trying to book. I'd love to have one of them as I love watching the wake as the ship is under way. Also, if you happen to find that once 2010 bookings open up and you unfortunately missed getting one of the aft cabins then you can always ask Regent to log you into their computer as a wait list for one just in the off chance someone cancels. People cancel all the time forr various reasons.

Good Luck!

Pat

We will soon be taking our 4th cruise on the Gauguin and wouldn't cruise without a balcony. Love having breakfast and afternoon coctails on the balcony. Also leaving the door open at night . It's great!! We have had 724, 726, and 705. 705 is our favorite and we have reserved it for our next cruise.

Why the preference of 705 over 724?

(Just curious, since we're booked in 724 for July '09, and I already switched once from 721 to 724 as I heard portside suffers less tender commotion)

The PG is an amazing experience. My choice would be to find any available cabin on the PG in 2009. Although there are questions almost every year regarding the future of the PG, the company it was owned by (Grand Circle Travel) has been sold. According to Regent management, they would like to purchase the PG. However, if they are not able to do so, it is "unlikely" that Regent will have a ship in French Polynesia beyond 2009.

If Regent were to purchase the PG, it was stated that it would be refurbished to bring it up to the standards of other Regent ships. So many things are questionable at the moment. . . will they buy the PG and begin building their new ship . . . or??? In any case, in 2010, there is a chance it either will not be sailing in FP, or will not be owned by Regent and therefore will not be all-inclusive.

Hey, leave our 705 alone! Just kidding.......we like being forward......no vibration, quieter in our opinion because there are fewer cabins up forward, and besides........it was our first cabin so we have some sentimental feelings about it (crazy, eh?). Most folks like midships where there is less movement but we sort of like the easy roll while underway.

If we found that we couldn't have a balcony, we would probably check out another cruise when a balcony cabin was available. B and A Cats are out of our budget (so are C's but what the heck) and we don't require more room than found in a C. We like starboard just because there is tender action that we can observe.

Az.cruiser: when are you occupying "our" cabin?

I thoroughly agree with Viatape. It is hard to beat sitting on the veranda in the morning with your honey enjoying a cup of coffee watching the Pacific roll by.:D . Next best scene on the veranda was enjoying a shrimp cocktail with a glass of chanpagne while watching the sunset! The only better sunset is in Zihuatanejo on the sand with a Corona in your hand. Wow!! We did the Baltics last Sept on the Voyager with a balcony and it was okay but NOT nearly as sweet as on the PG!

Goblue57........wow! Same mindset.........simple breakfast or shrimp cocktails with Champers at sunset.........vacation life simply is not better than when sitting on one's balcony on the PG and enjoying all that the South Pacific has to offer.

The PG may be dated in some people's opinion but we like it because it is small and casually elegant.........can't think of anything that we lacked while on board. We are so comfortable on that ship.

Are you going to be on the PG in Nov or Dec this year?

Goblue57........wow! Are you going to be on the PG in Nov or Dec this year?

Goblue57's somewhat infamous quote on returning from the PG:

"As to people who take the PG 3 and 4 times -- they must be not only unadventurous but boring as well. Our planet offers too much to get hooked on one trip. But it was memorable."

So my guess to the answer to your question would be: no.

Friscoray--PG for 11 days was superb - in every way--but so was seeing the pyramids, St. Sophias, the gold room in the Hermitage etc. etc. They were all wonderful - but there is too much to see and experience and so little time. So, I won't return to the known and comfortable, but will continue to look for new and stimulating places to visit and things to do.

Friscoray--PG for 11 days was superb - in every way--but so was seeing the pyramids, St. Sophias, the gold room in the Hermitage etc. etc. They were all wonderful - but there is too much to see and experience and so little time. So, I won't return to the known and comfortable, but will continue to look for new and stimulating places to visit and things to do.

It just goes to show that there is more than one way to say the same thing and that one way may be a little more polite than another.

I've never been to French Polynesia but will go in a few weeks. I don't know if it will be my first and last trip to the area or the first of many...

I agree that there are many fantastic places to see in the world. In fact, nobody could possibly see them all although it would be fun to try. I just did not (and still do not) see the point of posting on a travel forum that people who love a particular destination so much to come back repeatedly are boring and unadventurous. To me, such people have found their own little heaven on earth and I do not see the point of insulting them for it.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduld program....

Hmmmm, we don't think we are boring.....or lazy or whatever. We just happen to like FP and the PG.......so what? We've visited many countries throughout the world. The one place that is easy to get to and that gives us the most relaxation is FP.

I think that I'll leave this thread.............

It just goes to show that there is more than one way to say the same thing and that one way may be a little more polite than another.

I've never been to French Polynesia but will go in a few weeks. I don't know if it will be my first and last trip to the area or the first of many...

I agree that there are many fantastic places to see in the world. In fact, nobody could possibly see them all although it would be fun to try. I just did not (and still do not) see the point of posting on a travel forum that people who love a particular destination so much to come back repeatedly are boring and unadventurous. To me, such people have found their own little heaven on earth and I do not see the point of insulting them for it.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduld program....

Oh how I agree with you. I feel so fortunate to be able to re-visit French Polynesia again this October on a crossing. Not on the lovely PG this time but on SS but I can't wait to see the islands again and the wonderful smiling faces of the islanders, the magnificent blue of the lagoons. Yes, there are so many interesting other places to visit but going back to FP is always a treasured treat and I can't wait to get there. It's like no other place in the world. To those that have yet to go......you will love it. To those that have the Tahitian flu and feel compelled like us to return again.......enjoy as I know the feeling and there is absolutely nothing wrong with returning to paradise again and again.

Pat

I think we are actually going to be "stuck" with the 7 night cruise because I very much want to do the post-cruise stay and we really need to be back inside of two weeks. This might give the nod to a balcony, if there is still one available. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. If we can't get a balcony, I think we will still be quite happy with the trip based on all of the feedback.

Archived