One dumb question

SMRivera198

Sorry folks but I was wondering if I might be able to see some whales at any point in my cruise. We're going on the Crown Princess to Eastern Caribbean in January, from Fort Lauderdale and I have always wanted to go whale watching/see some whales. I thought they only lived in colder climates but I've heard otherwise. Any insight? Also, if they do live in the warmer waters, are there any whale watching excursions in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Grand Turk or Princess Cays???

Thanks much and sorry for the silly question :rolleyes:

Sorry folks but I was wondering if I might be able to see some whales at any point in my cruise. We're going on the Crown Princess to Eastern Caribbean in January, from Fort Lauderdale and I have always wanted to go whale watching/see some whales. I thought they only lived in colder climates but I've heard otherwise. Any insight? Also, if they do live in the warmer waters, are there any whale watching excursions in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Grand Turk or Princess Cays???

Thanks much and sorry for the silly question :rolleyes:

As many times as we have sailed the Eastern Caribbean route, during most times of the year, we have yet to see even one whale. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard of whale watching in the caribbean before. Dolphin watching yes, but not whales.

The best place to see whales is in Hawaii in the winter months.

I know there are companies that offer whale watching tours in Granada. Not sure there are in the islands you are visiting but to answer your question, Yes it is possible to see whales in the Caribbean between December and April though not as frequent as you will see them on an Alaska cruise. I have seen two about twenty miles north of Trinidad while fishing but never lucky to see any when on a cruise.

I was wondering if I might be able to see some whales at any point in my cruise.

We're going on the Crown Princess to Eastern Caribbean in January,

- are there any whale watching excursions in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Grand Turk or Princess Cays???

Thanks much and sorry for the silly question ===> NOT silly at all.

Right time of year but (I think)wrong islands?

Whales winter down thru the islands that stick up real tall off the ocean bottom (as in 10,000ft.!!)

following the Antillean island chain down South.

Go over to the DOMINICA Port-of-Call forum and you'll see several whale-watching tours there.

I see two threads there right now, on page 1....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Someone else indicated Grenada too, for whale tours.

Go thru the individual island Ports-of-Call...you'd be surprised at what's available

• 1 month later...

Archived