Why duct tape?

retirednready2go

I use bright colored duct tape to mark my luggage, so I can find it in the sea of bags after the cruise. My main use though has been to secure the bubble wrap around the liquor we buy, so the bottles won't get broken on the way home. :) Lots of other uses, I'm sure.

If it sticks use WD-40, if it won't stick use Duct Tape.

-Anonymous Handyman

• Repair rips in luggage.
  • Fix a hem.
  • Hold a door/drawer shut (or open if needed).
  • Remove lint from clothing (or whatever).

You can buy travel size. Takes up little or no space.

Here Is The Obligitory Link to 101 uses for duct tape. Yes, for those who have been here before it's #65:eek:

Charlie

Never brought any, and have never needed it! If there is some emergency that might require it on the ship, I'm fairly certain the maintenance dept. will have some!
Unfortunately there wasn't any such help in the airport when noticed the rip in the luggage on the way back from the last cruise.:)

Charlie

if you rely on the ship guys you will have to take silver...duct tape is more fun in colours....do you guys get the Red Green show???

It was only available but only on PBS (the national Public Broadcast System) and therefore not well known. I think that there are reruns on The Comedy Network. For those who haven't seen it it's kind of like Monty Python meets the Beverly Hillbillies.

51X08430SRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Charlie

..never travel without my trusty roll of duct tape..has come in handy 100s of times. TIP..when flying..don't pack it with your carry on stuff..once had it confiscated at the security check-in.:( Mind you..this was right after 9/11..so everyone was nervous...

Just to be safe..I pack it with my checked luggage..:D

• 4 months later...

I ripped my garment bag and could ave used some last spring.

Here is a use I read on the fashion board (have NOT done this) large busted women who want to wear strapless gowns-make themselves a bra with this-sounds like OUCH to me though- can you imagine removing THAT?

I ripped my garment bag and could ave used some last spring.

Here is a use I read on the fashion board (have NOT done this) large busted women who want to wear strapless gowns-make themselves a bra with this-sounds like OUCH to me though- can you imagine removing THAT?

Thanks for bringing this very worthwhile thread back up for new cruisers.

I know, I know, some people just don't get the need for duct tape but repairing ripped luggage is a very real (and unfortunately too often) need for the mighty tape.

Some cruisers poo - poo packing the tape but DH (Charlie) and I have discovered it to come in very handy on a few cruises. We left it home on a couple of cruises and wished we had brought it. Have taken it on many cruises that we didn't need it. But we now back it for every cruise just in case to keep a repair luggage for the trip home, fix a hem, tape a sliding dresser drawer shut or tape up a box of liquor we're packing in our checked bag for the flight home.

But the one use I refuse to do is tape up my bust on formal night.:eek: I know some women do that but that's just too painful to think about. :D

Dianne

• 1 month later...

I've never packed...or used duct tape on a cruise...HOWEVER, I do agree...that ripped luggage...happens!!! And something like duct tape would help. However, (again)....I think we've had one damaged bag in 6 cruises. So the odds are in your favor to not have a problem...but you never know!

Another use not mentioned yet is for couples traveling together in adjoining balcony rooms. On some lines, the partition between the balconies can be moved (I think you need to ask ship's staff do this), but there is no way to secure it, so it will flap and clang as the ship moves. The partition can be duct taped to hold it secure. I haven't done this myself, but read about it on another post.

You can also use duct tape to fix a blown out flip flop. Remember it does come in a variety of colors. I have wrapped blue and white around expired credit cards so that I have enough to do a job, but I don't have the bulky rolls.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Island Princess a few years back and there was a contest to see who could build the best ship/boat/raft that could carry a six pack of beer across the pool. Contestants had a couple of days to construct their craft. They had to scavenge from whatever they could find on board as we had no ports of call during this time. Our trusty roll of duct tape created the winning entry! Because duct tape is waterproof, our "beer barge" didn't take on a drop of water. Plus it was bright red so it created quite an attractive entry. Oh, and the winner won the beer! Bonus!

Pearl

• 2 weeks later...

the key to a duct tape bra is you only have it really stuck to you on the sides. the more sensitive parts, just dust with baby powder before applying the tape and it comes off without hurting. just think of how much a regular strapless bra hurts.

Archived