Ketchikan - Why no glowing excursion recommendations?

mcbain

Walk though downtown, take the Fox lodge funicular up, go out the back for a look at the Totems, walk back down the Married Man's Trail, to Park, turn right, follow Creek, and a look at the salmon Ladder if of interest. Turn right at Totem Heritage/Hatchery sign, uphill, enter if of interest, combo tickets available in the past.

Walk through the city park to Deermont, turn right, to end, turn right again, to other end of Creek St, and stop at Dolly's House- take a look at the shower. :)

BQ - you're just the best !! Thank you for the prompt reply. I know many others will benefit from this info. gg

This info is too late for OP but others may be interested. We just returned from a week on the Star Princess. In Ketchikan I booked a three hour tour with Ketchikan Taxicab Tours (http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com). This tour was absolutely wonderful! We were picked up at the dock by Kat, Part of a husband and wife team, in a Dodge caravan. We were treated to a tour of the area that included eagles, a stop to look for bears (no luck), a walk through the rain forest, tasting of local berries, a stop at Potlatch Park and Totem Bight to experience some native culture, as well as commentary about the history of the area. This tour is well worth the cost ($74/hour), the van holds 6 so if you can fill it up the cost PP is very reasonable. All in our party enjoyed this tour immensely and led to most of us saying that Ketchikan was our favorite port. We also walked Creek Street, saw the salmon running and a few seals hunting them in the creek. Some of us went to the Lumberjack show, very fun and enjoyable especially for the youngest.

This info is too late for OP but others may be interested. We just returned from a week on the Star Princess. In Ketchikan I booked a three hour tour with Ketchikan Taxicab Tours (http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com). This tour was absolutely wonderful! We were picked up at the dock by Kat, Part of a husband and wife team, in a Dodge caravan. We were treated to a tour of the area that included eagles, a stop to look for bears (no luck), a walk through the rain forest, tasting of local berries, a stop at Potlatch Park and Totem Bight to experience some native culture, as well as commentary about the history of the area. This tour is well worth the cost ($74/hour), the van holds 6 so if you can fill it up the cost PP is very reasonable. All in our party enjoyed this tour immensely and led to most of us saying that Ketchikan was our favorite port. We also walked Creek Street, saw the salmon running and a few seals hunting them in the creek. Some of us went to the Lumberjack show, very fun and enjoyable especially for the youngest.

Your comment is timely for me as we will be in Ketchikan on Sept 17 on the Celebrity Infinity. We are indecisive about whether to "walk, look, and explore" on our own or do the Bering Sea Crab watch or whatever they call it. Your suggestion is certainly a lot more economical. There are 6 of us in our group. Thanks for posting another alternative for us.

~Marsha

This year is lousiest summer in alaska weather wise. (officially)

Ketchikan gets 165 inches of rain every year.

That said, this august there have been many 70+ degree too bright sunny days here.

DO NOT BOOK anything in advance.

There is one or two air operator keep getting mentioned on this board.

There are plenty of them in Ketchikan. They all fly similar planes (and are even physically located next to eachother) and do more or less similar routes.

Unless you are one of the last off the boat and your boat arrives late in the day, you are bound to get your choice of excursion.

They discount heavily as day progresses and they do not get passengers (In this economy, it is not unusual)

They will fly unless weather is unsafe (even in rain). Whereas if you have NOT advanced booked, you can decide for yourself based on weather that time.

Walking tour - more to see and do in town than say Haines or Seward.

Local bus is excellent. $2 for all day pass. (you can visit both Totem Parks on your own)

If it rains, you can go to that lumber jack show (yikes!). But then again, there are few people who actually cliam to have liked it.

There is always whale-watching but again there are better and cheaper places to do so.

There is one or two air operator keep getting mentioned on this board.

There are plenty of them in Ketchikan. They all fly similar planes (and are even physically located next to eachother) and do more or less similar routes.

Unless you are one of the last off the boat and your boat arrives late in the day, you are bound to get your choice of excursion.

Can you talk a little more about this? I am inclined to wait and see what the weather is like (and the bear-sightings), but my DH is very concerned that we won't get a float plane to the places we want, or that we'll be with a less-reputable outfit by just walking off the boat and booking it. These excursions are VERY expensive, so I'd love some advice as to which is the best way to get a good trip, not be stuck with something you pre-paid on a rainy day, and not miss anything truly special.

Thanks!!

Can you talk a little more about this? I am inclined to wait and see what the weather is like (and the bear-sightings), but my DH is very concerned that we won't get a float plane to the places we want, or that we'll be with a less-reputable outfit by just walking off the boat and booking it. These excursions are VERY expensive, so I'd love some advice as to which is the best way to get a good trip, not be stuck with something you pre-paid on a rainy day, and not miss anything truly special.

Thanks!!

We have taken two float plane excursions out of Ketchikan.....one to Misty Fjords and the other to Anan Creek to see the bears. This year we are flying again.....to Traitor's Cove. We always book independents.....as soon as we have booked our cruise. You will not be "stuck" on a rainy day with something you pre-pd. for because if the weather is not good enough to fly....your tour operator will cancel and you will get a full refund......whether it is via the ship tours or independents. I prefer to go w/the independents that have a huge fan base on CC based on their experience and the ability to produce a great tour. Over and over you hear the same names. Does that mean that there are not others out there who may be equally qualified ? Of course not, but personally, I do not feel comfortable walking off a ship and grabbing someone to fly me in a plane over mountains, through valleys, etc., when I do not know if they are qualified !!! If my float plane tour cancels.......I have several back up things that I will do. I have to say I agree with your DH. gg

Thanks!!

IF you are looking at taking a bear watching tour, these are in VERY short supply and in my opinion, need advance bookings.

I picked up a walk up bear tour last year, BUT, I was first off the ship (0630) and went right to a known vendor, I did get the last 2 seats with a contracted ship excursion run- saved $150. However, I have flown out of Ketchikan, MANY times, on both bear watches and Misty Fjords. It isn't a "must do" for me, so this chance really didn't impact much if I couldn't go. Not always the case with people who haven't done it before.

Many ships have 1/2 port stops, what is yours??? Are you willing to NOT go?? You need to decide, this for yourself. Sorry, but trips do go in the rain, it's the visability that cancels flights. IF you can't deal with rain, then wait. But also be prepared with back up plans.

• 8 months later...
We just returned from our SB cruise off the Spirit a few weeks ago and I have to say that Ketchikan was my favorite day. The weather was nasty-pouring, windy and cold; however, we did the Bear Creek Zip Line Tour and absolutley loved it! It made our trip. We were a group of 9, including ages from 8 to 50, and we all loved this excursion. Whatever you choose to do I'm sure you will have fun.

thank you for this review. My husband and I are going this July 2009 and were debating which Zip line to take. We're a very young 60/70, but want to know what you thought of the mountain slide at the end. Did you here anything about the Canopy Zip vs Bear Creek. Thanks, Deb:D

Can you please provide more info concerning the "culinary excursion." We will be cruising in the beginning of Aug on the Sapphire Princess

I went on one last year called

"The Alaskan Chef's Table":DIt was absolutely fabulous.

It is held in a restaurant (top floor) near the dock and a husband

and wife are the chef's:)

It was 5 courses (if memory serves) and everything was home

made and you were also given a history lesson by a tourguide

(who also joined in for the meal).

It is one of the best excursions I have ever taken anywhere.

I think in total we had 7 people ....the food

was well prepared and I keep thinking I want to do it

again (I am going in Sept) but I booked something else

this go round.....I still have time to change my mind;)

We lucked out and took the Bering Sea Crab Tour. Friends had this booked and talked us into joining them. This by far has been one of our best tours booking independently or through the ship in all of our cruises. I highly recommend this tour if you want an up close expierence with a crab and want to get great pictures of eagles. The entire day was magical and just wish I had a camera that had a quicker lens time. This tour could be done in all types of weather as you are under a roof if you choose to be. Be sure to check them out at http://56degreesnorth.com

Just a tip, be on the top deck when they are pulling the pots, you will get some great pictures.

Momof2 - yousay you chose Bear Creek Zipline b/c of the age of your younger kids....can you explain further? And can anyone with zipline exp. tell which you did? My 12 yo and I are doing the zipline (it was at the top her her list) and we want a thrilling (or as close as we can get) trip - not an easy or safe one. There is another called "Rainforest Ropes and Zipline Challenge Course" and another called "Rainforest Canopy Adventure". Can anyone speak of hese - these are NCL tours. We onl hae until Tuesday to change our tour before we sail next Sunday so any comments now would be greatly appreciated.

The rest of our group is doing the Deadliest Catch Crab trip and I am gtting a bit jealous after reading all the raving about it!! But my daughter really wants to do the zipline so we will - other ports we have other trips booked so Ketchikan is the only option for us. I just want to do the most exciting one available. Thanks!

I have this booked~ Did it only take 2 hours or did it run over?

Hi Ebony:)wish I could remember the exact timeframe:eek:

I am trying to think but I don't want to give you the wrong

information. It was fantastic though:D

Honestly, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:)

The food was SUPER!!!!:D

The food was good on the zipline tour? I didn't read about food!

Nope, Ebony was asking about a Culinary Excursion that

I went on last year:D

I think there is more than one excursion on this thread:);)

ahh - thank you LoisR - - I was in a hurry and didn't read all the earlier posts. That does make more sense than food on a zip line - I was feeling nauseous already - I can't pass up good food - but the zipline and food would not be a good combo! Sorry!:o

Momof2 - yousay you chose Bear Creek Zipline b/c of the age of your younger kids....can you explain further? And can anyone with zipline exp. tell which you did? My 12 yo and I are doing the zipline (it was at the top her her list) and we want a thrilling (or as close as we can get) trip - not an easy or safe one. There is another called "Rainforest Ropes and Zipline Challenge Course" and another called "Rainforest Canopy Adventure". Can anyone speak of hese - these are NCL tours. We onl hae until Tuesday to change our tour before we sail next Sunday so any comments now would be greatly appreciated.

The rest of our group is doing the Deadliest Catch Crab trip and I am gtting a bit jealous after reading all the raving about it!! But my daughter really wants to do the zipline so we will - other ports we have other trips booked so Ketchikan is the only option for us. I just want to do the most exciting one available. Thanks!

My daughter and I did the ziplining in Ketchikan in 2006. It was the Rainforest Canopy one and also had a wall structure to climb. I ended up watching both activities since I could not do the rope bridges where you have to balance. These are required before you can zipline. My daughter LOVED it. She was 15 at the time.

This year I wish we could do the Deadliest Catch but it's after we pull out of the port.

KD

Archived