Best Hotel in SF - not the cheapest!

jane02

Hi,

We are spending 3 nights in SF post cruise in early January. I am not looking for the cheapest hotel. We like a bit of luxury when we travel so what is the best hotel in SF that is close to attractions.

Thanks

Kellie;)

The Argent no longer exists - changed hands, now owned by Westin and was recently completely remodeled. Even spiffier now. I do love the location - very nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Ritz which is the only 5-star; 5-diamond hotel in San Fran. The Ritz also just underwent a renovation.

Their sushi in the lobby bar on weekday eves is to die for. Tea service is best in the city (used to love the St. Francis but now they have converted ther lobby bar for duel duty as a restaurant.)

Since you are going for the "best" be sure to stay on the club level - the breakfast, afternoon tea and eve wine and hors d'oeuvre service is awesome. Warning: you might not be hungry for anything else.

The dignitaries stay at Fairmont -- because it is equipped to rent out a whole floor with the Presidential Suite (and all the security entourage). Mark Hopkins -- if one wants to have memories from old SF movies. Ritz Carlton for service and food. But most important in making reservations at any of the high end hotels is to "insist" on a high floor so one has a "view".

Jane02 --- Finally someone asks for a first class hotel. This board usually posts a request for a cheap - lowcost - reasonable etc etc hotel. We hail from the Pacific Northwest and we have many excellent hotels in Seattle and Vancouver BC and they always ask for a motel 6 ? Its a shame since there are so many good hotels available. I wish more people would ask for recommendations on the best.

Hi,

We are spending 3 nights in SF post cruise in early January. I am not looking for the cheapest hotel. We like a bit of luxury when we travel so what is the best hotel in SF that is close to attractions.

Thanks

Kellie;)

We stayed at the Fairmont in late May and the service and hotel was wonderful. We ate in their restaurant and the food was pricey, but very good. The only complaint I had was it is on top of Nob Hill and all of the cable cars in the afternoon were too crowded so we walked from Union Square up to the hotel and it was about 5 blocks, all up hill and I mean up hill:eek: .

Would we stay there again, yes.

Jane02 --- Finally someone asks for a first class hotel. This board usually posts a request for a cheap - lowcost - reasonable etc etc hotel. We hail from the Pacific Northwest and we have many excellent hotels in Seattle and Vancouver BC and they always ask for a motel 6 ? Its a shame since there are so many good hotels available. I wish more people would ask for recommendations on the best.

Hmmm....maybe the folks who ask for the most reasonably

priced hotels are on a lower budget?

I hope one day I will be able to stay at one of those 5 star hotels

but its not possible right now.

So I purchase what is affordable for me and still have

a wonderful time..especially in the City By The Bay:D

I LOVE San Francisco:D

Thanks again everyone for your responses. We are lucky enough to be able to afford to stay in luxury hotels when we travel but I am always reluctant to ask on these boards. You have all given me lots of great places to investigate.

Regards

Kellie;)

You have gotten a number of good recommendations.

Each time we go to San Francisco we do stay at the Ritz Carlton. It's in a very nice area and we love to walk so from there we can walk to many places. It is about a ten minute walk to China Town. Consider the club floor as sometimes that can work out nicely as you can make some of the snacks the actual meals.

We used to live near San Francisco for four years and we think it is one of the nicest cities in the world.

Enjoy.

Keith

I would consider one of the hotels on or close to Union Square. This puts you close to public transit, great shopping, and in the center of things. Check out a map of the city - you can always take taxis but sometimes its fun to be able to walk from your hotel to restaurants, tourist sites, and shopping.

Archived