Rent a car to Port Canaveral?

Simmons

Why do I not hear more about renting a car at the Orlando airport and driving yourselves to Port Canaveral?

We have 2 families going on the cruise and the Disney transfer would cost the 6 of us a total of $414. However, we can rent a mini-van for $68 each way plus cost of gas.

I'm leaning toward doing this... any advice?

Also, we're flying in the day before we set sail and plan on staying at the Residence Inn next to the Port.

We do this every time, much cheaper. and while dh is returning the car to Avis by the port, I go in terminal and get us all checked in.

I would go with a car rental that is located on site at MCO. ( Hertz is off site and a major pain to get to etc.)

We have rented from Budget and driven from MCO to the port (and back again). The shuttle service was quick with little wait time and the pickup on departure day was also available when we exited.

Just double check hours of operation for the location you plan to use.

Please post some info on the hotel after you go as we are staying there in Jan. 09.

Thanks for the replies... nothing negative so far about the car rental idea. I think we'll give it a try... especially since we're flying in the day before we depart.

Regarding the Residence Inn, I won't be there until Feb 09, but I've seen some positive member reviews so far... hard to go wrong with a Marriott usually.

Really just a personal preference. Since you are staying near port the night prior makes total sense to do it that way. We too come the night before. We just stay in a hotel near MCO and the next morning hop on the hotel shuttle back to MCO and drop our bags with Disney. We then are done with bags and do not have to worry about them again. There are only 4 of us, so a bit cheaper than 6. I also do not like the need to get luggage into the port by myself and keep up with the kids while my DH goes and returns a car. When I check in my DH stays with the kiddos and I can concentrate on check in. So, just to each it's own. Plus we like the new on board check in. We give Disney our bags Friday night and do not have to worry about them again until we get to Minnesota. We would not want to have to go back to MCO either after disembarkation and have the need to put gas in the car and return it to the airport. This also means DH dropping me and the kids at the airport to deal with luggage while he goes and return the car. I just do not like the stress on me, so we use DCL transfers.;)

I would definitely do that...

That way you can go run and get last minute items if you need to, have transportation for dinner the night before you sail, etc.

Try www.mousesavers.com 'rental cars' section for discounts on the various rental agencies available from MCO.

We've used Thrifty, Budget, and National for one-way rentals in the past. Thrifty and Budget have a shuttle to the port from their office, National does not.

This is just a sample of what I got from Thrifty for your dates, using no promotion code initially, but choosing "hot rates" when I selected the minivan:

Thrifty My Reservation

Promotion# PC825

IATA# 00170201

Time & Place > Change

Pick-up: ORLANDO AIRPORT, FL, USA

Date: Feb 07, 2009 03:30 PM

Drop-off: CAPE CANAVERAL, FL USA

Date: Feb 08, 2009 11:00 AM

Car Type Minivan

Car Type & Rate > Change

Car Class: Dodge Caravan or similar

Rate: $43.00/weekend day

Drop off fee: $15.00

Total Base Rate (USD): $53.70

Sorry, I didn't see the hot deals. This is what I got by using the hot deals: Your Base Rate for a 0 day(s) 5 hour(s) rental is: 58.00 USD

Surcharge : 3.04 USD

• $0.47 per day (Energy Recovery Fee)

• $2.03 per day (Florida Surcharge & Waste Tire/Battery Fee)

• $0.60 per day (Vehicle License Fee)

Tax: 3.66 USD ( 6.000% )

Approximate Total: 64.70 USD Pickup Location: Orlando - Orlando International Airport-MCO/In-terminal/ORLANDO, FL

Pickup Location Phone: 866-434-2226

Return Location: Cape Canaveral Florida-MLBC01/City-wide/CAPE CANAVERAL, FL

Return Location Phone: 321-799-2620

Pickup Date/Time: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 06, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

Return Date/Time: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 07, 2008 @ 9:00 AM

Vehicle Type: Mini Van ( Dodge Caravan or similar )

Promo Code: KISSE

Currency: U.S. Dollar

Rate Code: KISS

YOUR RATE IS: 1 Day at $39.00 per day. Unlimited mileage.

Base Rate: $39.00

APT CONC RECOV FEE: $5.34

ONE WAY: $15.00

STATE TRANSACT TAX: $2.03

STATE TAX: $4.02

VEHICLE LICENSE FEE: $0.47

=================================

Total Estimated Charges: $65.86

I had a reservation with Dollar: Pickup Location: Orlando - Orlando International Airport-MCO/In-terminal/ORLANDO, FL

Pickup Location Phone: 866-434-2226

Return Location: Cape Canaveral Florida-MLBC01/City-wide/CAPE CANAVERAL, FL

Return Location Phone: 321-799-2620

Pickup Date/Time: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 06, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

Return Date/Time: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 07, 2008 @ 9:00 AM

Vehicle Type: Mini Van ( Dodge Caravan or similar )

Promo Code: KISSE

Currency: U.S. Dollar

Rate Code: KISS

YOUR RATE IS: 1 Day at $39.00 per day. Unlimited mileage.

Base Rate: $39.00

APT CONC RECOV FEE: $5.34

ONE WAY: $15.00

STATE TRANSACT TAX: $2.03

STATE TAX: $4.02

VEHICLE LICENSE FEE: $0.47

=================================

Total Estimated Charges: $65.86

Same thing.

We are staying at the Fawlty Towers...nothing fancy but supposedly nice...They offer a room and transport package . There will be 6 of us, staying for one night in 2 rooms. Their package is from Orlando airport , to the ship from the hotel, then back to the airport....$448 for all 6 of us.....not a bad deal..just passing it along.

Thrifty/Dollar, Budget, Avis & Hertz all have locations near the port and offer a free shuttle. If you are leaning towards Thrifty - check out Dollar's rates- the 2 companies have joined together and the rates are usually the same. Dollar is located at MCO, while Thrifty is offsite, so with Dollar you get the great rates and can pick up the car right in MCO. Drop off is at Thrifty in Cape Canaveral. We are a family of 5 and have always done the one way rentals - it works out great & gives us the freedom to do things on our schedule.

Just curious .... how easy is it to get a rental for the trip back to MCO...???

In the past we have always rented at MCO out to Port C. and then from Port C., back to MCO or usually Orlando city itself for a few days. We usually use Hertz or Budget and they have shuttles that run out to Port C. and then over to their offices.. it was quite pain free.....:)

Rented a car for my cruise on the Wonder in Feb. '09. I will pick up from MCO and drop off at the Port just for $33.98 which I think is okay. Its when we get back to the Port from the cruise for the remainder 3 days. i got something for those three days at $155 but i think that is expensive. Don't you?

Rented a car for my cruise on the Wonder in Feb. '09. I will pick up from MCO and drop off at the Port just for $33.98 which I think is okay. Its when we get back to the Port from the cruise for the remainder 3 days. i got something for those three days at $155 but i think that is expensive. Don't you?

We rented last year and observed the same phenomena. Outbound cost to us was under $40. Inbound on Sunday was around $75. Ouch!

Definitely rent from a company housed in MCO. See http://www.orlandoairports.net/ops/rac.htm for details.

We just changed our plans and are staying at the Radisson..

Which car rental office is closest to the Radisson ???

Since we fly out the same day as our return on the Wonder, I'm guessing we'll take a shuttle/car service back to MCO. Any suggestions ?????

Archived