Voyager - service disappointment

JTor

"On Regent, nobody comes around on the pool deck to take orders even if you ask them to start service."

Are you saying that when you are out at the pool, no one comes around and takes your order?????? for drinks??? Someone please tell me I am reading this wrong!

"On Regent, nobody comes around on the pool deck to take orders even if you ask them to start service."

Are you saying that when you are out at the pool, no one comes around and takes your order?????? for drinks??? Someone please tell me I am reading this wrong!

I've had hit and miss drink service on both SS and Regent on the pool deck where we have had to go and hang around the bar to get served. Most of the time on our March Mariner cruise the staff did circle the pool deck taking drink orders so don't worry about not getting served as it happens more times then not.

Pat

Tips are a strong motivator so I think that the inclusion of tips in the Regent cruise fare is largely responsible. Waitstaff have no motivation to perform at a level above that of their collegues. It is only natural that over time the performance of the entire group will trend down in quality.

Working for Regent, Silversea or Seabourn is a motivator in itself. The staff if paid considerably more than on ships where tips are not included.

While we have not experienced poor service on Regent, I would not be surprised that service on smaller ships could be more personalized. In terms of remembering names, we tend to dine in the same areas at Compass Rose (in order to get our favorite servers). They quickly remembered our name -- even put the drink we typically order on the table without being asked.

Wow, I have prompted quite a discussion. I would agree with John and Penn Yorkie that the service we received on Crystal was truly superb. It's true they come to know your name and what drinks you like, which is amazing with 1000 people on the ship - as DebbieH103 pointed out, this didn't happen on Regent although it's a smaller ship. Maybe it would have if we had been on board for more than a week.

We didn't have any trouble getting drinks - we didn't spend time at the pool (too cool, too many ports), but in the lounges we found it easy to be served. We're not really cocktail people so most of our drinks were wine or non-alcoholic. Like RachelG, we found they were quite generous with wine at dinner. Our concerns about the wine were "quality" not quantity... DH is a wine-fancier, and when we go out we expect the steward to be able to advise us on wines to match the food etc., or at least to give us a list of our options. In fact, we'd rather have one glass of good, well-chosen wine rather than a bottle of "whatever they have". (in fairness, the offered wines were of good quality, just not always a good match for what we were eating - no one seemed to understand that the choice went beyond "red or white"). It's interesting to hear that the stewards are motivated by a cut on purchased wine - that actually partially explains our experience. Also, I agree with everyone who mentioned how overworked the staff in Compass Rose seem to be - this was very much our experience and we attributed the shortcomings in service largely to overwork and frustration among the staff there. Which is really too bad, if true.

RachelG, I'm really glad you didn't have any service issues. I agree that part of our frustration related to expectations - on land, we tend to frequent restaurants known for their service, and I guess for Regent prices, our expectations were fairly high. Because of Crystal I know what is possible, and I expected something similar. Once again, it wasn't terrible, and we had lots of fun. I just wasn't convinced that for the cost, we received the kind of service they could have provided.

For sure, if someone else were paying, I'd cruise Regent again!! For my dollar, I'm not so sure. Perhaps in a couple of years we'll try them again on a less port-intensive itinerary and see if the experience better matches the price. I think the ship was full (or close to it), and 7 days all in port probably does make it quite hectic for the staff.

We did note these concerns on our comment card. We thought about discussing with the hotel manager, but didn't want to make "a big thing" out of fairly minor irritations. Once again, there was no huge problem for us, just little things that added up to a less than stellar impression. I have let our agent know about our experience in case she wants to feed back to the company (she books with them quite a lot).

Yes, that is what I am saying about Regent. If you read my review of Navigator in December, there were 7 of us on deck, and we waited an hour or so and gave up and then went to order them ourselves at the pool bar. They gave us a tray to bring them vs. telling us to sit down. Never get offered in the hot tub, whereas on SS, they come to chairs with fruit, sorbet, water, towels and also to the hot tubs. Maybe Regent comes some but not like SS and nobody has waited on me on the pool deck at all on Regent. It isn't a deal breaker, but it is not the same feeling.

Reverting back to the comment cards, the next time someone give you subpar service I suggest making sure they know you are remembering their name and intend to note the lack of service on your comment card. This is the one thing they fear more than anything and I bet it will result in getting what you want.

Jtor: As you have stated, Crystal does an amazing job with service and does have approx. 1000 passengers. Crystal. Just want to point out that the fact that Crystal has "set" seating in their main restaurant, they do not have to contend with, for instance, large groups sitting down 1/2 way through their first dinner service. I believe that the Regent Voyager can seat 700 people at the same time (utilizing all of their dining venues). There is stil no excuse for poor service:o

Debbie, I'm sure your cruise was on SS in a warm climate. I never thought of it as a big deal but on our Norway SS cruise we were not well looked after at the pool even on nice days. Maybe the northern climate changed the staffing patterns, because when there was a crowd at the pool for lunch or mid-pm, you usually had to find the waiter and ask him/her to take your order. On the PG, however, we never had a problem!

We've done two Navigators, two Voyagers, last in 2006, two Crystals and start a B2B on Mariner next week. We prefer the Regent experience, larger basic rooms and single seating but have to admit Crystal has great service and interesting dining options. Crystal's Asian is much better than Latitudes and the Bistro is great for a quick snak.

We'll report on service and food when we get back in early September.

Best thing you can do is report these things personally while you are onboard, to give them the opportunity to correct your problem. Yes, we all don't want to seem to be complainers, that's why I come home and say "I didn't tell them when I was onboard, I just don't like to complain!" On my 20+ cruises with Regent, I've had a problem now and then, just like my friends and I did on my 2 Silversea Cruises. I have no doubt Crystal is an excellent product, but not without lapses now and then, but I have never cruised with them, so not from experience. For me, every time there was a service lapse on one ocassion one day, it seemed to be different the next day! (Like the wine thing, the pool thing) it got better. I guess I am just too happy a camper to let it get to me.

This is an interesting thread. We also experienced inconsistent and generally poor service this summer on Mariner. I can relate to the lack of service in bars and at tea. The coffee area had a notable lack of service. In contrast to the Bistro on Crystal, we had to get our own coffee. The difference was striking. We concluded that all inclusive gratuities must be partially to blame. The majority of the crew had no "hustle" and some just appeared totally unmotivated. The Crystal crew not only appear motivated, they seem to be happy and pleased to provide service.

jhp, you are so right. I hate to be a complainer, so I tend to try to look at it from the other person's point of view. Maybe they are way stressed out or having a bad day.

I think the staffing of the pool deck is definitely less on cruises in cooler climates. Actually we only ate lunch on the pool deck once on the Baltic cruise because the rest of the time, it was just too cool. But I am one to just walk up to the bar if I want a drink. I don't expect the waiters to come ask me. Just a different approach I suppose.

We didn't eat any dinners in La Veranda at all on the most recent cruise because we were really happy with Compass Rose, so I can't speak to that. But lunch and breakfast were fine. The waiters even took my plate to the table a couple (but not most) times, which I didn't feel was necessary as I am perfectly able bodied and can do it myself.

Definitely, if the service is not up to par, it should be noted on the comment card, preferably with specifics like names and locations. Management can address problems with specific employees very well while it is much harder to address vague complaints.

This is an interesting thread. We also experienced inconsistent and generally poor service this summer on Mariner. I can relate to the lack of service in bars and at tea. The coffee area had a notable lack of service. In contrast to the Bistro on Crystal, we had to get our own coffee. The difference was striking. We concluded that all inclusive gratuities must be partially to blame. The majority of the crew had no "hustle" and some just appeared totally unmotivated. The Crystal crew not only appear motivated, they seem to be happy and pleased to provide service.

I found your post particularly interesting. I am not aware of where you are from, however, the expectation of service for "tea" made me wonder if you are from the UK. North Americans don't seem to take "tea" very seriously. Just having scones and clotted cream available -- pure heaven.

You have had difficulty with smoke from adjoining cabins on your Crystal cruises. Hopefully you found Regent much better. It sounds like your priority is restaurant/bar service -- not cabin size, all inclusivity, etc. As I have stated before -- I believe Crystal to be the best of the cruise lines that are not all-inclusive and require seating at a particular time and at a particular table. Since Crystal cruises are almost as expensive as Regent when you add tips and drinks (for a similiar cabin). . . it is a good thing that we all have a choice.

P.S. We found the coffee bar area to be wonderful. Why did you feel you had to get your own coffee? Was it overly crowded?

I find your experience to be the complete opposite of anything I have ever encountered on any Regent, nee Radisson ships. Years ago our server found out I like coffee ice cream... I have been offered coffee ice cream every dinner on every sailing since, having been informed this would be made available to me. The same for sauteed spinach, which is something else I enjoy. I have never found any request to be too much, but just the opposite. The staff always seems so eagar to please all customers. Just last year, while sitting with an officer at dinner, I commented on how wonderful someone else's dessert looked. Later that evening, I found that same dessert had appeared in my cabin... now that's amazing service!

All 4 of my SS cruises were in warmer climates. My first Regent (Voyager)was a western med, but it was never cold, and on the days in Spain, it was quite warm. Regardless, lots of people sat out to chat and lay around. The pool deck was more crowded than SS. My Navigator cruise was a Caribbean one, and the deck was always packed but still no service at all out there.

Yes, the SS ships are smaller, but the Regent pool decks do have dedicated staff. I think it was just less polished staff, newer people, not as well trained, etc. It wasn't lack of desire to please or anything. There are a few things Regent needs to do since being all-inclusive. Maybe they are still not used to people being in the public areas so much.

I had MANY exemplary experiences on Regent and enjoyed them enough to sail twice in two months and am rebooked for Christmas. I just think there are a few service areas that could be improved that would make great turn into outstanding.

I certainly don't want to scare anyone off or make them think they will have a bad experience.

I found your post particularly interesting. I am not aware of where you are from, however, the expectation of service for "tea" made me wonder if you are from the UK. North Americans don't seem to take "tea" very seriously. Just having scones and clotted cream available -- pure heaven.

I met ChansonDeLaMer (Hello Sylvia!) and her husband on our Crystal Cruise last year. We all live in the US. My partner and I are not particularly into tea (being North American and all) but the experience was so nice on Crystal that we made a point of trying to do it everyday.

I'm not sure I agree with you about pricing being similar between Regent and Crystal. I think I would have to consume an awful lot of alcohol to make it even close.

The main attractions of Regent for me is the smaller number of passengers and open seating. The included liquor is a slight negative for me as neither of us drink (much) so we are paying for something we do not use.

I would also rather give out tips at the end of the cruise than have them included because I do think having crew on fixed salary decreases their motivation to go out of their way to be helpfull (far easier to blend in with the crowd of your collegues).

This board touted the advantages of all-inclusive. Try getting more than one drink in a bar. Everyone we saw accomplish this feat had to work hard to catch the eye of a waiter or go to the bar to retrieve it themselves. Portion control??? Does all-inclusive mean one drink per evening?

Our two Regent experiences (so far) could not have been more different!

Okay - I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth again. I was on the same cruise as ChansonDeLaMer. Though I can't say that everything was absolutely perfect, nothing ever is, I thought service in ALL venues was outstanding!! Well, except when I asked for ice water early a.m. in the Observation Lounge and the guy acted put out by it. No excuse for that! I traveled with my DD and DM and their food was always carried for them, as well as mine - though not necessary for me. Samuel really stood out in LaVeranda and Signatures!!! Was the food exceptional? I know this is subjective but some real oustanding items and some could've used alittle tweaking. Yes there could be some fine tuning in some areas, especially when the rates keep rising. But to me, all very minor things. I spent more $$ on Silver Sea and had some horrible service. Plus it was way TOO FORMAL for me. Just not my style, so to each his own. I do Regent for the service, friendliness of the crew and more laid back feeling. Of course it's not for everybody, but it meets my expectations above and beyond. So no complaints here, though I did put on my comment card to not price loyal customers out.

Gee, maybe my expectations are way too low! I have sailed on the PG and the Mariner, and am embarking on Voyager next month. My Regent experiences thus far have been outstanding, though my only cruising comparison is with NCL. Frankly, neither my wife nor I need or expect fawning attention...if we are able to have our dining, beverage and cabin requests taken care of in a prompt and courteous manner, we are fully satisfied...and that has definitely been the case so far. Is it worth the price? As a vacation value, we definitely think it is, and I don't really want to spoil the experience (which is rare enough already) by fretting about whether I would have gotten that drink a little faster if only I'd booked on a different cruise line.

Having read all the posts in this thread, I decided to weigh in. My husband and I just returned from a 12 day Baltic tour on Voyager - Stockholm/Stockholm. I left a very lengthy cruise review with the ship because there were many areas where I was disappointed. Generally I would say the service was professional yet never truy "engaging" as it is on Crystal. I agree that the dining room staff seem overworked --- even acting harried and hurried while serving. We did not have problems with wine service but were truly expecting a better quality of wine to be offered. I did learn that if I refused the first offereing, they would come up with better quality wines. Seemed odd to me, but perhaps they don't think folks really enjoy wine for wine's sake, just another dinner drink!

Our cabin was truly nice. Loved the size much more than Crystal cabins! But the food we were served (with the exception of Signatures) although good, was never great. I found it generally disappointing because I was expecting Crystal quality or better. We were never addressed by our names except by our butler and cabin stewardess. On Crystal, the buffet staff seemed to have "regulars" that they served each morning and greeted by name.

A couple of additional strange things that colored our opinions: when we arrived at the Stockholm airport, our private car had been dismissed and sent away without us! Our flight was a little late (20 minutes) so after collecting our bags,etc and getting to the lobby area, 40 minutes had passed from the scheduled flight arrival time. The Regent agent who was there was so surprised to see us! (The sign with our name was no where to be found!) He said the airlines told him we were not on the aircraft and that we had been expected earlier. The flight number never changed - and of course, we were on the flight even though it arrived late, so clearly he was "improvising"! They found us a ride with another guest who was kind enough to share their "no longer private" transfer with us. Although we got to the hotel, it was an embarrassing time and certainly unexpected.

Another incident occurred at the pool grill when my husband ordered a hamburger. Twenty minutes of waiting and still no burger, he went back up to the line and asked about it. After vacant stares, he ordered again and returned to our table. 10 minutes later, still no burger so he approached the head waiter to ask for help, stating that it had been about 30 minutes since he first ordered. The head waiter was VERY rude, telling him to return to his table, that his burger was on it's way. My husband did return to the table and just as we were about to leave and go to La Veranda to eat at the buffet, the head waiter appeared with the burger with an authortative, argumentative approach, telling us that it had been ONLY 18 minutes since he placed his order! He had written down the time of the second order and actually showed it to us! We were both so shocked with his attitude that it ruined the whole lunch. I've never been treated that way on a cruise, regardless of what I have paid.

In general, we had a great trip because our cruise was port intensive and we visited wonderful places, met new friends and can have fun where ever we go. However, I am truly having second thoughts about returning to a Regent cruise, especially at their high price, if another cruise line has a similar itinerary. Making this comment saddens me, and I sincerely hope changes will be made. We want Regent to continue to be successful!

Frankly, neither my wife nor I need or expect fawning attention....

I don't get the impression that anyone participating in this thread does either.

I'm not trying to be derogatory about Regent's level of service. I would describe it as adequate, probably better than on my Celebrity cruises (but not enough so as to stand out in my mind as being clearly better).The service on Crystal I would describe as exemplary and a very strong reason to consider cruising with them in the future.

I am still very much looking forward to my upcoming Paul Gauguin cruise but level of service certainly wouldn't be on my short list of reasons to sail with Regent.

I just reread this thread and see a theme that occasionally occurs -- Crystal vs. Regent.

Most people who have sailed Crystal before going on Regent prefer Crystal (there are, of course, exceptions). It is too difficult to compare the two lines. Crystal excels in some areas and Regent in the other. It seems that Regent customers will go with Oceania before trying Crystal -- perhaps just a "sister" company thing.

Those who tried mainstream cruiselines before Regent, have the highest opinion of Regent.

Silversea and Regent followers tend to like their own cruise line but do switch.

Regent repeat passengers, like myself, can sometimes get a bit picky and notice small, sometimes insignificant things.

One thing that has not been discussed in the area of service is the attitude used when requests are made. How many times have you seen a customer treating a server, bartender, as if they were their personal servant (snapping fingers to get their attention). I see this happening on a regular basis where ever there are are people who provide service to customers. Many cruise ship employees are from other countries. . . are we seeing rudeness when it may not exist? Just food for thought.

I

I'm not sure I agree with you about pricing being similar between Regent and Crystal. I think I would have to consume an awful lot of alcohol to make it even close.

Just went to the Crystal website and checked out a 14 night cruise -- around the holidays. Then, compared it to a 14 night cruise on Regent. Different itineraries but not enough to make a dramatic difference (both Caribbean).

Crystal

$7,900/person -- 226 sq. ft

$9,980/person -- 269 sq. ft. (think this has veranda)

Regent

$7,295/person -- 356 sq. ft. (balcony suite)

I am not challenging the fact that Crystal may have superior service to Regent. Just giving an example of what it costs for this service (plus tips, drinks, etc. on Crystal)

How many times have you seen a customer treating a server, bartender, as if they were their personal servant (snapping fingers to get their attention). I see this happening on a regular basis where ever there are are people who provide service to customers.

I used to be a busboy and must say that the occasional customer who would treat me no better than a stray dog was far from appreciated. I'm sure nobody here would behave that way but would remind anyone of such an inclination that your server has access to the food you consume long before you ever see it. Think about it....

Just went to the Crystal website and checked out a 14 night cruise -- around the holidays. Then, compared it to a 14 night cruise on Regent. Different itineraries but not enough to make a dramatic difference (both Caribbean).

Crystal

$7,900/person -- 226 sq. ft

$9,980/person -- 269 sq. ft. (think this has veranda)

Regent

$7,295/person -- 356 sq. ft. (balcony suite)

I'm not sure if we are comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges. For example, the Crystal itinerary covers both the Christmas and New Years holidays.

My point has only been that in my limited experience with both lines, the service on Crystal was in my opinion clearly superior.

Regent service on the Voyager in December 2005 (my only trip with Regent thus far) was in my opinion adequate (nothing more and nothing less). There is not one instance of particularly good service or particularly bad service that I can recall from that cruise. For me, the experience was like the average summer blockbuster movie: I can't recall the plot an hour later. The ports of call and the excursions we took, well those I remember much more vividly.

I don't consider myself a cheerleader for either line and would not spend $7000 / person for a 14 day Caribbean with either of them! For point of comparison, my upcoming 10 day PG trip was less than $3000 / person and my upcoming Celebrity Solstice 7 day Caribbean in Aquaclass balcony cabin was just over $1000 / person. Value for money and itinerary are my most important factors in vacation choice.

Archived