Is is American power points on board the Grand?

Tintown

We will be on the Grand for 24 days soon, and will be bringing a power board etc. with us as we seem to have so many things that need to be charged - phones, cameras etc. Can someone please tell us what sort of adaptor we need? We know its an American ship, but it wasn't built in there, so don't want to make a mistake by just assuming we need USA adaptors. Thanks.

I know there's some disagreement - does this mean I can bring my tooth brush charger with me - it works on 240 volts only and has a 2 pin shaver type plug. When I took it with me to the US - I could plug it in using an adaptor but the voltage wasn't enough to run it.

I know there's some disagreement - does this mean I can bring my tooth brush charger with me - it works on 240 volts only and has a 2 pin shaver type plug. When I took it with me to the US - I could plug it in using an adaptor but the voltage wasn't enough to run it.

Yes, you should be able to plug it in directly as they are the 2 pin 240v sockets. As stated before the side lamps on the bedside tables have a 2 pin socket, there is also one available at the desk in your room.

Cheers,

Peter

The hotels on all modern crusie ships operate a 220 volt european electrical system.

For the electrically challenged - mainly North Americans - they install step down transformers that provide a limited number of 120 volt outlets in each cabin.

The 120 volt outlet in the bathroom has a very limited load rating. It just doesn't work with high wattage machines like hairdryers and curling irons. This prevents you from dropping your hairdryer into a basin of water and electrocuting yourself.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'll try resurrecting this thread rather than start my own...

The US power outlets onboard - are they two pin or three pin?

From the shops I have looked in so far, can get three-pin to three-pin adapters, and two-pin to two-pin adapters. Could be a problem matching my three-pin power board to a two-pin US outlet!

We are sailing on Dawn Princess, which unlike Sun has not had Australian power outlets installed.

Thank-you.

I normally bring a standard plug strip which can be plugged into one of the standard US outlets allowing multiple battery chargers, etc. to be easily plugged in at the same time.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do 'standard US outlets' have three pins or two pins? (three holes in the outlet or two holes in the outlet?)

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do 'standard US outlets' have three pins or two pins? (three holes in the outlet or two holes in the outlet?)

Thanks!

Actually, they vary (I've never thought about this until you asked the question!). The standard outlet is two rectangular slots parallel to one another. More and more now you see outlets with the two rectangual slots parallel to one another and then a round hole underneath or above them. Not all electrical plugs have a third round prong (I think it might be some kind of surge protector or fancy-dancy plug for electronic stuff like computers) and you just plug them into the rectangular slots, disregarding the round hole. But if your appliance's plug has a third prong, the round one, then you'll need the kind of wall socket with all three holes. I found this photo on Webshots of a cabin on Sapphire Princess:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2425701020101557362KlvxSr

Hope this helps a little . . .

Thank-you rdsqrl and Colo Cruiser - very helpful indeed. A picture is truly worth a thousand words eh? :)

(Oh, btw, the third pin here is to 'earth' the appliance. I'd guess it is the same for your three-pins.)

Cheers.

Thank-you rdsqrl and Colo Cruiser - very helpful indeed. A picture is truly worth a thousand words eh? :)

(Oh, btw, the third pin here is to 'earth' the appliance. I'd guess it is the same for your three-pins.)

Cheers.

you 'earth' your appliances--we 'ground' them. :)

Archived