Can You Really Bring a Case of Water?

lj1231

My husband drinks tons of bottled water and we would like to bring a case of 64oz bottles on board. I read that you can just slap a luggage tag on and it will be delivered to your room. Is this correct? We are sailing next summer on the Caribbean Princess.

It says a reasonable amount of soda or water. That sounds like a lot and very heavy. Carnival lines have been not as good about letting you just slap on a luggage tag (Carnival owns Princess) and if people keep abusing the privelege, they are going to get to the point where its limited.

64 oz bottles?? a case?? How much does that weigh? Some porters have refused, but might be swayed with a large tip.

The water on the ships is almost always of better quality and taste than the majority of botted water you'd be lugging with you. A case of 64 oz bottles for a 7 ( ? ) day cruise is a lot of water. :eek:

Again, he will only drink bottled water and that is a battle that is just not worth fighting with him :D

No joke, my husband drinks about 150 oz per day. My son and I drink about 100 oz a day.

Thanks again everyone.

AHHH....another bottled water snob! I wonder if he ever reads the labels on all that "pure" water! Recently @ work, someone had a bottle of a brand that will remain nameless, and I looked @ the label and it said "WATER SOURCE---City of Dallas water supply"! I thought ICCCKKKKK....Even my animals get water that's been run thru a PUR filter! I agree with another poster....a ship's water has been purified so much is far surpasses any bottled stuff you can find! I'm all for the ship's water in MY reusable container!;)

This thread just saved me some research time.. THANKS !

Last year we did take a case (9oz ers) of water on ..just wanted to be sure it was still OK....no water snobs here and St Louis 's water is used by a few bottling companies too. we are told outsider like our water:) hey at least they like us for something

I think it would be safer to board the ship with your case of water - afraid if you tag/check the water - the case may get crushed under tons of suitcases. How long is the cruise?? A week or two supply should not arouse any security person's curiousity - however, I would also check out the portable water

filter cartridges you can get at the larger sporting goods stores - this way

your DH will get the filtered, bottled water he wants but you can just use

the ship's water in the buffet to fill the bottles up. (you could also pack

a Brita Water pitcher and cartridges in your luggage). You could probably

pick up more during your shore excursions. ;)

The op did not ask for anyone's opinion on her choice of water, she asked if it's ok to bring it. We took 4 cases one time on celebrity, it was no problem, we saw others doing the same.

Why thank you Captain obvious. Some of us are simply advising the OP there is no need for bottled water. Although she already informed us that her husband would not budge.

chillpill.jpg

Hi- we just returned a couple of weeks ago from the CB. I did bring a case of water with us in a small rolling suitcase. The purpose of bringing bottled water was so we could grab a couple of bottles before heading off the ship. I found that this was very easy and really came in handy. While we were on board we did drink the water from the tap, fountains and in the dining venues. We each had a refillable bottle and it worked fine. At the end of the cruise I just used the now "extra" suitcase for the items we purchased along the way and to pack the suff that didn't quite fit the same as when we boarded.

• Administrators
Hi- we just returned a couple of weeks ago from the CB. I did bring a case of water with us in a small rolling suitcase. The purpose of bringing bottled water was so we could grab a couple of bottles before heading off the ship. I found that this was very easy and really came in handy. While we were on board we did drink the water from the tap, fountains and in the dining venues. We each had a refillable bottle and it worked fine. At the end of the cruise I just used the now "extra" suitcase for the items we purchased along the way and to pack the suff that didn't quite fit the same as when we boarded.

And since you found the onboard water palatable, next time (especially if that extra suitcase will cost you $50+ with the airline) you will know that you can each just bring a refillable water bottle and use the onboard water, which is what we do now. :)

To the OP, if the three of you typically drink 350 oz of water per day, I'm not sure it's humanly possible to carry and load on the ship enough water for a 7 day cruise for the three of you. That's 5.5 64 ounce bottles per day -- times a 7 day cruise -- so you'd have to haul onboard more than 38 bottles, or 19 gallons of water (64 oz = 1/2 gallon). One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. Even without your luggage you are talking about trying to bring onboard 152 pounds of water.

I just can't see the cruiseline accepting as "passenger luggage" a forklift worth of cases of water, and in your place I wouldn't count on them doing so. If your DH refuses even to consider the possibility that he might actually LIKE the water produced by reverse osmosis (which the vast majority of cruisers do), then you should be planning on purchasing more gallons of water at each port of call. Personally, the scenario of trying to find and purchase bottled water at each port, then hauling dozens of pounds of it onboard the ship, would make the cruise a "no-go" for me, but your situation may vary and your family may be happy doing that at each port.

Have water will pack !

Love the grab and go w/ water ..plus some folks need to watch the sodium levels of treated water.

I guess we will repeat what worked last yr.. case fit in rolling overhead sized piece of luggage . Wasn't worried about crush factor--have seen pallets of H2O stacked a few stories high in warehouses..

We flew and picked up H2O during our pre cruise stay. Driving this time so no weight issues unless we are talking about ME and we are NOT ! LOL

There is nothing wrong with taking cases of water on a caribbean cruise.

There is nothing wrong with taking ice chests filled with ice cubes on an antarctic cruise.

But in either case, most of the people on the ship will question your sanity.

Just a word of caution....I can't find the thread now...but I do remember reading a post from a guest who was used to bringing a case of water with the luggage tag slapped on it to be handed to the porters.

On a recent Carnival cruise, this case of water was rejected. They COULD carry it on but not check it. Now I have no way of knowing if this was just one port or a new general policy.

But I would be prepared to carry it on in the event the porters don't accept it.

This thread just saved me some research time.. THANKS !

Last year we did take a case (9oz ers) of water on ..just wanted to be sure it was still OK....no water snobs here and St Louis 's water is used by a few bottling companies too. we are told outsider like our water:) hey at least they like us for something

Hey, don't be putting down St. Louis....lived there for seven years, and loved every minute of it....even drank the water!!! Biggest mistake we ever made was to move to Florida!!

Archived