Millennium dry dock?

NelleS

DH & I got off the Millennium this past Friday after a wonderful southbound Alaskan cruise. We really had a great time. But we couldn't help but notice that the ship really needs a sprucing-up. A lot of Millie's soft surfaces need replacing: the upholstery in the Ocean Grill, carpeting in the cabin areas, and the bedding & curtains in the cabins.

Let me say that these things did NOT affect our enjoyment of the cruise. It truly was a lifetime trip! And we are booked to take the Millennium in 2010.

I did do a search for this issue, and found a thread that discussed Millie's need for refurbishment. But I couldn't find anything that said when, or even IF, something has been scheduled.

DH & I got off the Millennium this past Friday after a wonderful southbound Alaskan cruise. We really had a great time. But we couldn't help but notice that the ship really needs a sprucing-up. A lot of Millie's soft surfaces need replacing: the upholstery in the Ocean Grill, carpeting in the cabin areas, and the bedding & curtains in the cabins.

Let me say that these things did NOT affect our enjoyment of the cruise. It truly was a lifetime trip! And we are booked to take the Millennium in 2010.

I did do a search for this issue, and found a thread that discussed Millie's need for refurbishment. But I couldn't find anything that said when, or even IF, something has been scheduled.

Most drydocks are to take care of mechanical items that can't be accomplished while at sea. The items you mention do not require a drydock and can be done at any time. Celebrity has to decide the need or get the will to do them..

Not having gone on Celebrity yet but looking forward to the Millie in October, I have prepared myself for her to be a little more worn at the edges than I am used to on a cruise ship.

From monitoring the boards I have reached the opinion that the corporate approach is to squeeze more utilization out of the interior furnishings. i.e. wait until they are showing their age rather than replacing before they reach that point. I don't think this is the HAL or Oceania philiosophy for example.

I guess it works for them although I know of two parties that were so disappointed in the condition that I doubt they will try them again. I am approaching it with hopefully a sufficiently open mind that I doubt it will affect our experience.

We recently went on a short Princess cruise and she had been "wet docked" in LA for interior upgrades. Much cheaper than a dry dock.

Another thread on this??? Every few weeks/months this thread comes along. My two cents:

1) You'll find wear and tear on ANY ship if you look hard enough.

2) The ship may be older but it is kept immaculately clean. They are constantly replacing carpets, varnishing railings, etc. In other words, the ship is not being neglected.

3) Service and crew are great.

In summary: keep it all in perspective and you'll have a great trip.

That's correct, Millie will enter drydock after reaching Vancouver on May 8th, 2009. I will be on the last sailing before the drydock, which means of course we can leave it messy!

As stated before, they can replace carpet and drapes during the regular cruises, which I have heard they will be doing just before the drydock on the Aus/NZ cruises. Everyone still says the service and food are top notch, and thats whats important to me.

Archived