Barcelona

Has anyone ever visited "La Casa Mila"? I read an article and it is supposed to be a wonderful. It is nicknamed La Predrera. Thanks,

Thought I'd start your responses. Search "Barcelona bus turistic." This is a stop on both blue and red lines (you'll find web site with explanation and map). Buy ticket on bus. If you have 2 days, second day costs very little more than first day. In my plans I have to purchase the "articket bcn" (can Google as well). Had (last May) and have (next May) planned to visit Museu Picasso (near the apartment we are renting) first and buy articket instead of straight admission, and then also Casa Mila, Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, and Fundacio Joan Miro (the last two in Parc de Montjuic). My side notes indicate the articket costs 20 euro, and the combined entrance fees on these four sites (that we would see in 3 days) was 33.5 euro, or a 40% discount (if you have an interest in art).

When are you going to Barcelona and for how many days before or after your cruise?

Enjoy your planning. If you are going to stay at least 3 nights, consider an apartment. If you are staying at least 2 nights, consider reading a tour book on Barcelona before (also necessary to select a good location for an apartment).

I found a very large thread on Barcelona on this site (100s of Q & A exchanges). Give it a try!

Good luck,

David

traveltoports@yahoo.com

Yes ... it was one of the highlights of our stay in Barcelona, along with Gaudi's other works (Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell). Highly recommend all 3!

Couldn't agree more - those 3 were definitely highlights of our trip to Barcelona last year. We'll be there again - post cruise - for one day later in the year and this time I'll be taking my son to see La Pedrera. Make sure you get right out onto the roof - the chimney pots and the views are fantastic :)

La Pedrera is FANTASTIC!! Genius (even mad genius), in its many forms, fascinates me....Gaudi was a genius. I would rank the experience of visiting La Pedrera and La Sagrada Familia right up there with the tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater...just stunning! The Parc Guell is stunning as well, and well worth the walk uphill to reach it. The "Espace Gaudi" is interesting, too, but "only" a 7 or 8 out of ten, whereas La Pedrera and the Sagrada are both 10 (or 11!) out of 10.

Enjoy Barcelona! It's one of our favourite cities.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back and I must say I was blown away by all the Gaudi in Barcelona.

He even designed lamp posts and tiles for the sidewalks. It was also interesting to see the work going on at Sagrada Familia.

Our cruise also stopped in Palma, Mallorca where Gaudi designed the altarpiece in the cathedral.

Have you considered Casa Battlo, also Gaudi designed? (It's the building with balconies which look skull-like - also with mosaic clad chimneys.) We have friends who lived for many years in Barcelona and they recommended Casa Battlo over La Pedrera. (And as they are both Gaudi designed buildings you would probably chose to do one or the other and not both with limited time.) Since we took the advice of our friends, we didn't visit La Pedrera so I can't make comparisons however Casa Battlo was amazing. Perhaps it would be worth doing some research on Casa Battlo to see which you might prefer.

When we were there, they were renovating Palacio Guell too. It is just off the Ramblas and was destined to be a restaurant I believe. We peeped thorugh the wrought iron gates (a work of art in their own right) and could see the carved staircase, panelled walls and from the book we bought on Gaudi's work, I think it could be worth having a look at that too.

Has anyone ever visited "La Casa Mila"? I read an article and it is supposed to be a wonderful. It is nicknamed La Predrera. Thanks,

It wasn't on our must see, but our cab driver pointed it out on the way to La Sagranda. We caught it on the way back, very nice! Nice display of Gaudi's work and history, nice apartment display, and the roof with view of La Sagranda is killer! Make the time to vist, the entrance is a bit steep, but I was glad I took the hour to tour!

Archived