Help! My closet just collapsed, need recommendations for closet organizers!

I think this is a bad sign: I have a huge walk-in closet, and the builder installed shelf/hanger unit that runs the full length of the closet just collapsed, so now all my clothes are in a pile on the floor.

I want to get a good system installed to organize my clothes, and I have hundreds of items of clothing so it needs to be big. Has anyone tried California Closets, Hold Everything or any other system? I want something really good that is also a good value. Any advice from fellow fashionistas would be great. Thanks!

I cannot say enough good things about our California closets! Our home was built in 1929 and is seriously lacking in closets! In fact, two of the bedrooms don't even have closets! In the other three, and in our hall closet we had Ca. Closets do the work, the shelves are bull nosed, the drawers have raised panels, there are jewelry drawers, pull outs for hand bags, scarves, shoe racks, I just love them!

Funny that you posted this. I had the same thing happen about 2 years ago. I was waaayyy overloading my hanging rods and the whole shebang collapsed. (Everyone said I had too many clothes.....didn't get much sympathy!)

Anyway, I think any of the good closet companies are fine. The trick is just to make sure they are installed properly (suitably sturdy braces and mounts), and that you DON'T overload them. :o

I am currently having these installed. I have heard good things about them:

http://www.schultestorage.com/

If you are into the do-it-yourself, Easy Closets makes a nice product. And you can design your own or have their designers do a design. Everything is cut to the proper lengths and you just install it. Their prices are quite a bit less than someone who comes to your house and installs, the quality seems to be very good (you can get a sample kit that has small pieces of the wood with the different finishes.

They are an internet company.

OMG! Totally going to keep an eye on this thread because I *fear* my closet may do the very same thing. Apparently, i have a lot of clothes, or so they say....

I will not be surprised when I come home one day to find the closet a huge mess, with everything on the floor b/c it collapsed.

CeleBrat

California Closets is very good. If you like a DIY project, the ELFA system sold by Home Depot is a grid system. Not as finished looking at Cal. Closets system, but works well. They have a consultant at the store that helps you design the space and use it best.

A little off topic but if you're going for a closet makeover I LOVE Huggable Hangers. They are lighter than some of the other hangers, make for much better storage space because they take up less space and they have flocking so nothing slips off. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up using in the closet.

I cannot say enough good things about our California closets! Our home was built in 1929 and is seriously lacking in closets! In fact, two of the bedrooms don't even have closets! In the other three, and in our hall closet we had Ca. Closets do the work, the shelves are bull nosed, the drawers have raised panels, there are jewelry drawers, pull outs for hand bags, scarves, shoe racks, I just love them!

Oh I can feel your pain! We had a house built in 1780 and just moved into a newer home. I'm looking for closet organizers and will check this out. Funny though, even though I only had tiny closets in the old house (literally 18" wide X5" tall or 2" wide X 2.5" tall) my new master bedroom closet is chock full! Do you suppose my clothes multiplied?

Ours are DIY from Lowes (can't remember name--we didn't stick with just one "system" either, we mixed & matched whatever we needed) but FYI--Costco has EasyClosets and possibly another brand in the store--if you're a member, check with them for pricing locally:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11233302&search=closets&Mo=12&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=closets&Ntt=closets&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Some Costco stores also have a California Closets kiosk--I know ours does: http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200603/?pg=65&search=california%20closet&per_page=50&results_page=1&search_type=1&doc_id=-1

It's amazing to see so many people have similar issues. I thought I'd never fill up the huge closet I have now, but I guess I did!

I'm hoping to find something that I don't have to do myself since neither my husband or I are very 'handy' and I think anything we put up would fall back down. I need tons of hanger space that's really sturdy since most of my clothes are dresses.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll start researching all those companies.

We love our master BR closet done by California Closets! We have double hanging rods, adjustable shelves for purses, shoes, etc., and drawers with little inserts for socks and DH's ties. We had it done a couple of years ago and we wonder why we waited so long. The designer came to our house, took a look at the mess, measured the space, and voila! In about half an hour, she had designed the whole thing. It was installed in just a couple of hours. The hardest part is getting all your stuff OUT of the closet and finding a place to put it for a day or two.

Archived