Luggage Weight Suggestions

daveky

OK, after having the luxury for many years flying with 70/pound, now 50/pound and now $50 for the 2nd checked luggage on Delta I need everyones suggestions.

Ready to try and fly with 2 people with one checked bag and 1 carryon. Have reviewed the TSA regulations and will be packing more on the carry on, have the size of the carryone purchased, gels in the 3 oz clear containers, etc, etc, etc. Now, need your guys suggestions to lighten the checked bag. More of a problem with the signficant other (spouse) with makeup, etc. But want your commments. Will be for 2 $200. extra on Delta for taking 2 checked bags each as compared to last year.

Things I have already done and thought of:

1. Use hair dryer on the cruise ship.

2. Laundry service

3. Don't take everything you own (BUT formal nights do take a toll)

Comments: After 911, want told by TA to pack light so can get thru customs, now we have to pack heavy. LOL

Thanks for the special comments.

Dave

Mix and match, 1 pair of pants for a couple of nights with different tops. I am taking one checked bag and 1 carry on for 3 days in London followed by a 12 day cruise. I have different outfits for each night but everything is black so only one pair of dressy shoes for the evening. I also take advantage of the laundry service and hubby rents a tux to save room.

Another thing is that you can buy your shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, etc when you get to port, buy small sized and leave them on the ship when the cruise is over. You would be surprised how fast even the 3ounce bottles add up.

Deb

If you have miles you may want to upgrade to 1st class in confirmed seats, you then get 3 bags each at 70 lbs each as checked baggage without any extra fee. I used miles for last trip and paid a few more miles to ensure 1st class each way to save on what would have been a few hundred in bag fees for our cadre of travelers.

You do have the idea down pat though for how to make it thru a trip with less stuff.

Our next trip is from the port an hour away (at least next presently scheduled one...I may try for another in October) and that is a blessing since who cares...if I can fit it in a couple of big bags for the family to be checked at the pier and rolled off at disembarkation I will be happy.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I maximize the size and contents of my carry-on suitcase. This accomplishes two things:

1. Makes it easier to stay within 50 pounds for the checked bag.

2. Gives me peace of mind that if anything "goes wrong" with my checked bag, I have as much as possible with me.

Take a good look at what you have packed in the past. How much have you used - worn on the cruise? What could you have worn twice? I have found I come home with clothes I have not used because I want 'choices'. Its now time to pack smart. I really don't need shoes to match every outfit.

We are not in the olden days of trunks loaded with gowns, gloves and other formal attire. DH no longer packs a sports jacket - a suit or tux works great as the other evenings are no longer 'informal'. For me - a black skirt and pants are great for all but formal evenings. I would wear one or the other with a 'dressy' top on formal nights but I do like getting dressed up. For my formal wear I pack light silk dresses - usually one long and one short.

If going to cool weather destinations plan on layers of warm and water proof. You really don't need that much stuff - I have seen women who have to pack 4 or 5 sweaters. I take one to layer over a Tee or blouse.

If you have miles you may want to upgrade to 1st class in confirmed seats, you then get 3 bags each at 70 lbs each as checked baggage without any extra fee. I used miles for last trip and paid a few more miles to ensure 1st class each way to save on what would have been a few hundred in bag fees for our cadre of travelers.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Great idea. Planning a longer cruise next year, around 12 day, need more clothes on that cruise and will look into doing that.

Thanks

Dave

Take a good look at what you have packed in the past. How much have you used - worn on the cruise? What could you have worn twice? I have found I come home with clothes I have not used because I want 'choices'. Its now time to pack smart. I really don't need shoes to match every outfit.

We are not in the olden days of trunks loaded with gowns, gloves and other formal attire. DH no longer packs a sports jacket - a suit or tux works great as the other evenings are no longer 'informal'. For me - a black skirt and pants are great for all but formal evenings. I would wear one or the other with a 'dressy' top on formal nights but I do like getting dressed up. For my formal wear I pack light silk dresses - usually one long and one short.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be doing a test packing run this Saturday (1 week before I sail) and be using your suggestions to lighten the load.

Dave

I maximize the size and contents of my carry-on suitcase. This accomplishes two things:

1. Makes it easier to stay within 50 pounds for the checked bag.

2. Gives me peace of mind that if anything "goes wrong" with my checked bag, I have as much as possible with me.

Will be baggage carryon shoping this weekend to get something that can handle around 40 lbs and fit nicely into the overhead been. I have the dimensions of the carryon per Delta's website. Have a smaller Delta Connection flight going and coming which they have smaller overhead bens. No problem coming back as from Atlanta to Knoxville, they could check it outside as I board the plane. But going down could be another problem as you go from Knoxville to Atlanta thru the terminal.

Dave

Thanks to all others for your suggestions. Will be using those suggestions made by packing heavy shoes, etc in the carryover. Speical toiletries, I'll use the clear plastic 3 oz containers in the clear zip lock quart size bag for the carryover. And, just buy the other stuff on or around the ship.

Take care

Dave

I guess you meant 1 carryon each. No need to limit the carryon's - as you noted, be careful about the size. My rolling duffle wasn't allowed on a return flight out of LaGuardia.

My suggestions, pretty much what the other's suggested. My "been everywhere" carryon always ends up underneath on the 50 seaters.

Don't forget - a woman is allowed a handbag as a carryon and anyone can carry on a briefcase in addition to your other carryon. Very handy - I use a large tote for a handbag sometimes and carry a LOT in it.

I guess you meant 1 carryon each. No need to limit the carryon's - as you noted, be careful about the size. My rolling duffle wasn't allowed on a return flight out of LaGuardia.

My suggestions, pretty much what the other's suggested. My "been everywhere" carryon always ends up underneath on the 50 seaters.

Don't forget - a woman is allowed a handbag as a carryon and anyone can carry on a briefcase in addition to your other carryon. Very handy - I use a large tote for a handbag sometimes and carry a LOT in it.

That's been my concern on the size of the duffle bag. THey have the right to disallowed, especially on a small plane where there's not much room in the overhead or under the seats, that there is on the 737s. Will work with your idea on a handbag also, especially for the woman.

Thanks

Dave

Wear your heaviest shoes on the plane and also a sweater if you are bringing one. Put all make-up into a purse as a lady can have a carry on bag and also a reasonable size purse.

You have to still adhere to the size/limits of TSA when packing makeup products into a carry on. A majority of mine wouldn't be allowed due to size

Here's a link if you are unsure http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I needed to buy a new luggage recently for our trip in 9 days.

Their selling point now is how much the luggage weighs empty. The salesman showed me different pieces and it was "this one weighs ....., and this one weighs.....

Of course, the lighter the bag goes, the more it costs.

The case I bought weighed 11 lbs. lighter than what I would have picked out on my own. But it also cost more.

But that's how they're doing it now.

Invest in a luggage scale! It will pay for itself the first time around when you know for sure you are under the 50 pound weight limit.

Pack it and take it with you and use it for the return trip.

A lot of people just use their home bathroom scale.....but that doesn't help you on your return trip and most likely not as accurate anyway.

That's been my concern on the size of the duffle bag. THey have the right to disallowed, especially on a small plane where there's not much room in the overhead or under the seats, that there is on the 737s. Will work with your idea on a handbag also, especially for the woman.

Thanks

Dave

If it meets the TSA measurements, it doesn't matter if they store it under the plane and it won't count against you.

I did read on one website with airline travel tips (don't recall which one it was) that one way to save luggage weight is to wear 2 or 3 layers of clothing (more if you can manage it). That was enough to crack me up, because one would have to do the same thing coming back, and we all know that cruises are not vacations where most people lose weight:D

For us, I'm looking into lighter luggage, as that may save in the long run. And, I did buy a small hand scale to take along--has saved me a couple of times already. And, no need to take along duct tape, power strips, etc.

Happy trails!

Great idea for those "shoe hogs" as never can decide which shoes I want to wear..for those going later--not too soon..try this site: http://www.onesole.com/ I just found a place that we were visiting that had this in their stock so I intended to just try them on & order online--but just went ahead & bought a pair--now for me they seemed to run small..so I went up a size--they come with 2 tops..then I just ordered 2 weeks ago 2 more tops (called duets) so I could mix & match them also--I plan to only take black & brown..so I now have 4 dress shoes for whatever I wear at night..think they are really a COOL idea..I have no affiliation with the company--just found them on vacation line somewhere.

Archived