Best Time of Year for Hawaii

Nymue

As far as land temperatures go, September through November are really prime. We haven't done a cruise, but have done several land tours int he island. Summer months are very warm, but not as humid as the winters which can be humid, warm and rainy. Spring, around March/April, can be seriously wet. However, any day in Hawai'i is great by me!

I've sailed r/t LA-Hawaii in late February 2 years ago and in mid-March of this year. Both times it was smooth sailing both directions, and Hawaii was nice and warm.

Those are the best cruises I have taken, though I loved every cruise I have been on.

The sea days, going out and coming back are so relaxing. Though the time on each of the islands is relatively short, there was time to get a taste of each one via shore excursions, plus some independent sightseeing.

This itinerary is one that I hope to cruise over and over.

We did Hawaii on the Infinity about 3 years ago or so in April. The weather in Hawaii was great........but coming back we encountered the roughest Pacific Seas about 2 days out of Hawaii that we have ever encountered. Gale force winds and seas that were12 to 15 ft.........

The ship outer deck was closed for about 48 hours.......but the crew handeled it great.

We are going back next April just for a 10 day land vacation..........

I'm not saying I wouldn't cruise to or from Hawaii in April........you never know with the weather and it may have just been one of those cruises for a couple of sea days.

When we were there a couple of years ago sometime in the Fall it was great. But on a helicopter flight around Maui and out around Molokai, the pilot remarked that if we came back in February next time, we'd see lots of whales on from a helicopter flight. I've looked into this, and all the nice folks on the Hawaii board confirm it. I'm plotting out the next trip - sometime in Feburary and plan to do both a helicopter and a Zodiac boat if we can fit both in. Whales! Love them!

We had good weather in October - a quick shower while we were sightseeing on an island.

When we get the chance to go back, I'd like to go during whale season. Seeing Spinner Dolphins while riding in a Zodiac was fantastic, but I bet seeing a whale from one is mind-blowing :eek: :D .

What has been everyones experience with cruises sailing to Hawaii? What would you say is the best time of year?

Anne

We have sailed mid March and mid October. Had perfect weather both times except for a couple of cool days out of California (which is to be expected), but no heavy seas. We sailed on Celebrity Summit both times.

We prefer Hawaii in Feb/March because of the whales. We were on Maui and saw one within 100 feet of us. It was Amazing!!!

We did have rough seas in end of March 2004 and had to bypass Maui which didn't bother DH and I since we did a pre cruise there for 1 week.

The others on the cruise were very upset because Maui is soo beautiful.

I would say the only bad weather we ever had in Hawaii was around Christmas/New Years very wet.

Andrea

Nymue quote:

"So late Jan and Feb are a perfect time for Whales and less crowed? Do I have that right?"

I believe that is correct. At any rate, that is when I've thought we'd go next time :) .

Don't forget to check the Hawaii port of call board. You'll probably see more discussion on whale spotting :cool: .

Archived