Cabins at the front/rear of ship - too much movement???

katgilm

I've always avoided booking cabins toward the front or rear of a ship because I assumed there would be too much movement. Is there really that much difference? I'm not generally bothered by the movement of the ship - could be because I've always booked mid-ship. On the cruise I am considering, the mid-ship cabins (on the Mariner) are pretty well sold out. For those who have stayed at each end of the ship, what did you think?

I know this question has been asked before, but I can't locate one and the search function isn't working.

Kathi

We've been high, low, forward and aft. Along with midships:D

Yes, fore and aft generally experience more motion with the forward cabins maybe a bit more so.

DW & I actually enjoy the motion and commented on how we missed the motion in our last cabin (a mid ship). For us it's great to be rocked to sleep.

YMMV

Charlie

I once had a far forward cabin on Deck 8. It was no issue until the last night. The bow of the ship was going up and slamming down with a BANG! I even called the purser's desk around 2:00 am to see what the noise was! They told me the captain was trying to make good time going home and we were hitting some waves. (sounded like crew members throwing furniture down the stairs right outside my cabin) Friends of mine had the very same cabin a few months later and had no issues. I guess it just depends on the seas.

I once had a far forward cabin on Deck 8. It was no issue until the last night. The bow of the ship was going up and slamming down with a BANG! I even called the purser's desk around 2:00 am to see what the noise was! They told me the captain was trying to make good time going home and we were hitting some waves. (sounded like crew members throwing furniture down the stairs right outside my cabin) Friends of mine had the very same cabin a few months later and had no issues. I guess it just depends on the seas.

The seas will definately make a difference in the far forward cabins as the ship rides any swells.

The aft cabins are also sometimes subject to vibrations for short periods of time as some ships leave or enter port.

Charlie

We have both forward and aft cabins. I agree that the most motion is felt forward, but hasn't been too bad thus far. One of our issues with forward is when the ship tenders, we heard the anchor dropping....what a noise. We are sailing forward on EOS in December and aft on LOS in April.

We have both forward and aft cabins. I agree that the most motion is felt forward, but hasn't been too bad thus far. One of our issues with forward is when the ship tenders, we heard the anchor dropping....what a noise. We are sailing forward on EOS in December and aft on LOS in April.

Here I thought that was our wake up call so we wouldn't miss a moment ashore:p

Charlie

We have had corner aft on several occasions and loved everything about them. Never felt any more motion, no smoke, no noise; just a huge balcony with two loungers, three chairs and a small table. I would have that room every time if I could.

We have had corner aft on several occasions and loved everything about them. Never felt any more motion, no smoke, no noise; just a huge balcony with two loungers, three chairs and a small table. I would have that room every time if I could.

Just had corner aft and booked it again. I will never go back midship. There was no noise/vibrations etc that would keep us from going aft. The motion late at night was soothing. I slept like a baby! The balcony is the real perk!

Happy cruising!

I've always avoided booking cabins toward the front or rear of a ship because I assumed there would be too much movement. Is there really that much difference? I'm not generally bothered by the movement of the ship - could be because I've always booked mid-ship. On the cruise I am considering, the mid-ship cabins (on the Mariner) are pretty well sold out. For those who have stayed at each end of the ship, what did you think?

I know this question has been asked before, but I can't locate one and the search function isn't working.

Kathi

--------

We always book as far forward as possible.. My wife and I enjoy the rocking of the ship, especially when we are going to sleep. I haven't noticed that it is a lot more pronounced in the front than other parts of the ship, though.

I think RCI (and maybe others) is getting away from this. They have realized the damage that they were doing to the reefs and marine life in general. On our cruise last year aboard Explorer we tendered in Belize and Grand Cayman. We didn't drop anchor at either location. The ship's computer was able to maintain our position using GPS, engines and thrusters, thus no need to drop anchor.

We've always go for a cabin as far forward as we can get on Deck 10. Even in rough seas for a few days last trip, we felt no movement. I'm very prone to motion sickness and didn't have any problems whatsoever.

em

We have only sailed on Celebrity till this upcoming cruise. Our last was a 2 week Panama Canal aft cabin. FABULOUS. On the Millenium style ships you can easily have 20 people on the balcony. We had no problem with motion. I think if you were doing a TransAtlantic- then I might consider more mid ship. As stated I have always heard that its a little more motion towards the front.

If you can snag an aft- GO FOR IT !!

Nadine

We have cruised on the Mariner all the way forward (deck 8) and aft (deck 10). We definitely felt more motion than we felt on a hump balcony on the Serenade. We woke up one night hearing the coat hangers clanging in the closet on our forward stateroom! The motion in the aft was definitely different - more of a rocking back and forth. We found it very relaxing and didn't bother us. We will definitely book an aft stateroom any time they are available!

our 1st and only cruise was on Majesty for the 3 nighter and we had a forward int. deck 5. the motion did not really effect me until the last night and i really had to take some Dramamine and at one point I had to actually leave the cabin for a lil while. The anchor was definitely heard in the morning but was no problem for us since we had early excursions any way and wanted to make it to the Windjammer before the crowds

You will experience a lot of motion in the aft, especially the balconies;). I will gladly sacrifice the smooth ride and take the balcony so you can have a good cruise:)

Ditto...we had a "coveted" aft JS on enchantment in Jan...it shook & vibrated so much that the drawers kept opening......motion doesn't bother me...but that was making me nuts...again, YMMV....but all you happily ever AFTers can keep 'em!:rolleyes:

We have cruised on the Mariner all the way forward (deck 8) and aft (deck 10). We definitely felt more motion than we felt on a hump balcony on the Serenade. We woke up one night hearing the coat hangers clanging in the closet on our forward stateroom! The motion in the aft was definitely different - more of a rocking back and forth. We found it very relaxing and didn't bother us. We will definitely book an aft stateroom any time they are available!

I actually read a good tip on here about that since we have experienced the clanging hangers as well. It is generally when all the clothes are off...and someone mentioned that their cabin steward came in and strung a bath towel through the hanger holes which stopped the noise. It didn't stop the cabinet banging on a particularly rough sail. But it was one less noise! :D

We like either forward or midship for comfortable sailing. We love the rock of the ship!! Interesting that the Royal Suite is furthest forward on the older ships.....Sovereign Class and Vision Class. You get to have the same experience as the captain does one deck below you!!:)

Rick

Easy solution! Bring more clothes:p

Charlie

Archived