Cruising in October - weather

formula14

Hello,

We're planning our 2nd cruise & had a question for our seasoned travellers...:)

Is there any truth to the claim that The southern Caribbean islands are rarely affected by hurricanes and tropical storms & that The Netherlands Antilles islands including Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are external to the path of a majority of storms? The same goes for the southern Windward Islands such as Grenada and Barbados?

I read this on a website while planning an October Cruise. Is it true? We noticed there aren't alot of "great deals" for RC Southern itineraries that time of year. Is that why? Thanks!

We now have to cruise in the fall months due to work schedules & also live in FL. So far, when we cruise in September/October we have never had a problem with any storms during our trips. We did have an itinerary change from an Eastern itinerary to Western but we still got to go, which IMHO is better than no cruise at all! Also, we find that we get the best rates when we travel in the fall & always book early!:D

OK, thanks for the advice. Why is it better to book early? I would imagine, apart from getting the choice cabins, waiting till the last minute would offer bigger savings due to ships wanting to sell unsold inventory. Don't prices drop the closer they get to sailing dates? Maybe I'm wrong... still learning the basics here... thanks!

The Caribbean is still a very popular spot and most 7 day or longer "sell out" quickly. Since we do book early, a year out normally, we find that instead of finding a deal closer to the cruise, the prices actually go up! Our 10 day Southern Caribbean in our category, actually ended up being almost $400 per person more then when we originally booked. However, I know this may not always be the case, sometimes cruise lines do offer last minute deals. But my motto is "Book early & Often"!:D

If you're not cruising until October sometime

I think the best encouragement statistics can offer

is that you'll be on the good(diminishing ) side of the graphic below.

This NOAA graphic shows the statistical probability of hurricane and tropical storm activity

over the years -and the peak is right around Sept. 10th.

After that your chances lessen considerably..

statistically!

Wow, that's an interesting graphic there... nice to see that data. We're going to take a chance & try to wait till the week prior to sailing & check the weather patterns. Maybe we'll get a deal on a RC Southern Itinerary. Thanks so much for the info everyone!

It has been our experience that the cost goes up the closer you get to sail time in the Caribbean. The other concern is airfare. The closer you are to departure time, the cost certainly increases. The airlines will get maximum dollar from travelers who have to fly in the next week. The business person is the one they are targeting. Your cost savings if any on the cruise ship may be erased by the airline fare if you have to fly to the port. Happy hunting.

Archived