better food in the buffet on formal night?

newcruiserguy

I don't notice a difference. The nice thing about the buffet is the themed nights (German, seafood, Mexican, etc.) But there were some things in the dining room that they also had in the buffet (we looked at the menu that was posted outside the dining room--that's how we know this).

They try & mimic the food that's served in the dr each evening but it's not as good or exactly the same. I've never noticed the food to be any better on formal nights. We usually do an inspection after diner just to see what we've missed & I wouldn't choose it over going to the dr unless your doing something that more important.

Then on the other hand we have gone to check out the menu for the dining room and found nothing that we felt like so we would eat in the buffet and I must say the buffets on the ships have greatly, greatly improved in the last few years. Now certainly there is no lobster on formal nite but they have Beef Wellington, Prime Rib, Pork Chops, chicken and other assored entrees. Never had a problem finding something to eat at the buffet.

Marilyn

What exactly is "consistant"? Are you saying it is same on all nights? I am not referring to spelling -- even if you meant to type "consistent" just what you mean.

The food at the buffet is consistant every night formal or otherwise. ;)

I feel that the food IS better on formal nights at the buffet. For the last several years we have skipped formal nights (I know to some that is a GASP) ;). We have seen better choices for the main coarses and better desserts on formal nights at the buffet compared to other nights.

Most nights the buffet has a good offering of many different items, but we feel that formal night they do have a wider range of better items.

Like most posters, the differences in opinions expressed is because the menu items in the buffet are not the same for all cruises. Also some posters subconsciously mix up cruise lines.

I go to the buffet each evening around 6pm to pick up appetizers. I have found not only most of the dining room dishes in the buffet but a few more which are not on the main dining room menu. I have also found like TotoKansas that the formal night menu in the buffet is better than other nights. And yes -- also found Lamb Chops in Buffet! We always dine late traditional.

Each night we always eat in the dining room.

Twice during our cruise we went to the buffet just to take a look at the food being served. To see if it's the same.

Well, it isn't!!!!

No Lobster!

No Lamb Chops!

Totally different.

My Husband has had Lamb chops a few times at the buffet. Certainly there is no lobster but I can live without that as there are a lot of very good food at the buffet.

marilyn

Each night we always eat in the dining room.

Twice during our cruise we went to the buffet just to take a look at the food being served. To see if it's the same.

Well, it isn't!!!!

No Lobster!

No Lamb Chops!

Totally different.

Actually, usually almost exactly the same :)

We have dined in the buffet for dinner many nights on several princess cruises...and usually find many (if not most) of the dining room entree choices available in the buffet as well...including lamb. Additionally, there are usually some items (veggie and ethnic dishes) that are unique to the buffet and not available in the dining room, plus there is always a carving station available for carnivores (like my son). Only the desserts are lacking.

The formal night buffet dinners do include some special menu items (such as beef wellington, prawns...) and the atmosphere is also upgraded as well (wait staff in formal dress, ice sculptures). No lobster, but considering the quality of cruise line lobster these days, that is not much of a loss!

NO, the buffet does not serve the same meal on formal nite. Wish they would.

Getting a table in anytime dining can be an issue. We've been on many Princess cruises. Anytime dining was fabulous in the beginning. Its a pain now. They advertise you can go to the dining room any time, but that is not true, so be prepared to wait.

In our recent cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

Its not a matter of starvation. Its a matter of being able to do the other things you want to do on that cruise. If they won't let you in anytime dining until 8pm, you can't go see the 8-9pm entertainment. That was a part of my cruise purchase price, I ought to be able to go see it. You could wait for the really late entertainment at 11 to midnight, but when the ship is scheduling shore excursions for 6/7am the next day, its not a viable option.

Wish they'd just go back to "any time"/in other words no reservations!

Getting a table in anytime dining can be an issue. We've been on many Princess cruises. Anytime dining was fabulous in the beginning. Its a pain now. They advertise you can go to the dining room any time, but that is not true, so be prepared to wait.

In our recent cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

Its not a matter of starvation. Its a matter of being able to do the other things you want to do on that cruise. If they won't let you in anytime dining until 8pm, you can't go see the 8-9pm entertainment. That was a part of my cruise purchase price, I ought to be able to go see it. You could wait for the really late entertainment at 11 to midnight, but when the ship is scheduling shore excursions for 6/7am the next day, its not a viable option.

Lobster is the one thing that isn't served in the actual buffet line. Cafe Caribe does have them (switched from split lobster tails to lobster claws not so long ago) on seafood nights.

But holding lobster on any buffet can be quite tricky.

There is always such a big deal made about lobster onboard ships, and to date, the times we have eaten lobster, it has been nothing to write home about, so missing them isn't something we get upset about. ;)

But I defintely agree, this anytime dining concept really needs revamped as it isn't working like it should. Princess, are you listening??????????

:confused: :confused: Home Town Buffet cruise night :confused: :confused:

Every Wednesday nights the folks in Simi Valley get together to share

cool cars and good food. not sure which I love more: Food? Or cool cars? I decide to pack my

empty, hungry stomach and my best smile and to head out to Simi Valley, on a hot date with my roadster. Hiboy and I are never picky: Any night is a good night to cruise! Heck if it was up to us we would spend every minute of the day, every day of the week, every week of the month and (yes you've guessed it) every month of the year, every year of our lives, CRUISING. Regrettably, one has to pay them bills (which, incidentally, seem to have blossomed and multiplied ever since I bought a hotrod LOL), so one has to spend a large amount of precious time WORKING :((((. Blah!

I can fully relate to your experiences. I try & remember to make reservations each day but there are some port days where I forget. I'm all for pc dining but as you say it should be first come first served.

hellogif.gif

We always use Anytime Dining and have never had to wait. We like to sit with others which gets you seated faster. We made a reservation for 6:00 with another couple we met on the cruise and had no problem getting the table for 4. On formal nights, we go to the dining room by 6:00 and worry about pics later if we want them. Any later and the lines begin.

Mom and I both dressed up in our formal attire and ate in the buffet on the second formal night on the Grand this past November. I thought the food was very good and enjoyed the variety offered. As a previous poster mentioned, the wait staff was in formal attire, they had cloth napkins on the tables (can't remember if there were tablecloths..I think not), the lights were dimmed and the wait staff was very attentive. We saw quite a few of the performers eating at the buffet, also dressed up. Neither of us were up to a long,drawn-out dinner and it was a nice alternative to eating in the dining room.

Archived