Infant Policy RCCL

blueyesdm

DH and I are TTC and I just booked the Oasis cruise for December of next year. I was reading on RCCL's website and realized they have an infant policy stating that the child must be at least 6 months of age to cruise. Is this standard for all cruise ships or just RCCL? I guess I only have a couple months to try and get prego before I have to possibly change my cruise. Recently my fear was becoming prego before our January cruise because then I'd be too far along and now I'm scared I won't have a baby in enough time!!! :eek:

Yes, it's standard on all RCI ships--and they may have raised that age--I thought I heard something about that.... Call RCI and ask!

RCI recently changed it to 6 months for general itineraries and 12 months for trans-oceanic and other special itineraries.

beachchick

Here is my 2 cents.....

Babies come when babies want to come. The healthy egg gets fertilized and "sticks" when it is time.

For that reason I would continue on your merry way, continue to attempt to pro-create, and give no second thought to your Oasis cruise.

When you do conceive, I would not make any "moves" or decisions until after 12 weeks along. The first 12 weeks are the "make it or break it" time for the little egg. Either you are going to go full term or not. After 12 weeks, you can be more certain.

And, if you do conceive, you can possibly still cruise, as long as you will not be entering your 26th week while on the ship.

If you get past the 12th week and everything is healthy, and you cant cruise because you will be in, or beyond, your 12th week on the cruise, by then RCCL will have enough of the Oasis itinerary available such that you can just push your deposit to a new date for when the baby is 6 months old.

Congrats on booking the Oasis. It looks like an awesome ship. DH and I are plannig on doing it when the prices get more reasonable.

I believe the cutoff is now 24 weeks, and has been since last spring. EM

Poster is right. You cant be entering your 24th week while on the cruise.

But don't cancel your reservations based on a state of "what if". I'm a big believer of not making these types of decisions in life based off situations that are pure speculation.

Here is my 2 cents.....

Babies come when babies want to come. The healthy egg gets fertilized and "sticks" when it is time.

For that reason I would continue on your merry way, continue to attempt to pro-create, and give no second thought to your Oasis cruise.

Imho, I totally agree. Probably because my DH and I suffered from infertility -- I have learned that one really has far less control over these things than we think. I can't tell you how many things I missed out on in the first few years because "I might be pregnant then!" --

It happened when it happened. And, I changed plans to accomadate my son.

In my opinion, make your plans and look forward to your trip. It can always be changed later.

Imho, I totally agree. Probably because my DH and I suffered from infertility -- I have learned that one really has far less control over these things than we think. I can't tell you how many things I missed out on in the first few years because "I might be pregnant then!" --

It happened when it happened. And, I changed plans to accomadate my son.

In my opinion, make your plans and look forward to your trip. It can always be changed later.

Congratulations! He's absolutely beautiful!

We made some different decisions based on the fact that I was (early) pregnant. Then I miscarried at 7 weeks.

We are fine, we have one that is almost 2 and one that will be here Dec 30th. BUT, once again, that life lesson reared it's head and reminded me.....

Granted, my situation is an anomaly. But, you just never know, so don't jump the gun!

Thanks everyone!! :)

I'm definitely not going to change anything now. We have plenty of time to figure it all out. I want nothing more then to have a baby and will have no problem putting off any trip if I have to because that is most important to me.

Hopefully next time I post over here I"ll be asking for advice on how to cruise with a baby!! My DD was 4 when she went on her first cruise and she was wonderful and had such a good time. I guess it just bums me out that we have to pay so much for a baby who doesn't eat or take up space!

Thanks everyone!! :)

I'm definitely not going to change anything now. We have plenty of time to figure it all out. I want nothing more then to have a baby and will have no problem putting off any trip if I have to because that is most important to me.

Hopefully next time I post over here I"ll be asking for advice on how to cruise with a baby!! My DD was 4 when she went on her first cruise and she was wonderful and had such a good time. I guess it just bums me out that we have to pay so much for a baby who doesn't eat or take up space!

Your new baby will eat on the ship too. You just be sure to come back and ask us how to arrange for pureed food for your baby while on the ship....

We will make sure he or she is eating cruise food!!! Oh yea! :D

Don't worry we've just been on the independence of the sease and there was quite a few babies on board as young as 4 mths. Once you've got it booked whilst not pregnant you just have to sign a waiver allowing baby to travel, your only prpblem would be they don't allow pregnant women in the 3rd trimester to travel with them.

Don't worry we've just been on the independence of the sease and there was quite a few babies on board as young as 4 mths. Once you've got it booked whilst not pregnant you just have to sign a waiver allowing baby to travel, your only prpblem would be they don't allow pregnant women in the 3rd trimester to travel with them.

This will not be the case for much longer. The cruise line was "grandfathering" in some infants younger than 6 months because the parents/family had booked before the new age restrictions were in place. From now on, it will be 6 or 12 months minimum, depending on itinerary.

beachchick

This will not be the case for much longer. The cruise line was "grandfathering" in some infants younger than 6 months because the parents/family had booked before the new age restrictions were in place. From now on, it will be 6 or 12 months minimum, depending on itinerary.

beachchick

Yea, I think the unspoken rule is, if you booked before the change to 6 months or older, then "okay". If you booked when the 6 month rule is in place then your baby has to be 6 months old at time of departure.

BUT, you can always just move your reservation date, no worries!

But she does take up space, because cruise ships are only allowed a certain number of souls on board, and she/he is one of those souls. EM

True, true, good point! A child no matter what age is still a body and that is one less space on the life boat, therefore it does make sense to pay what everyone else does. Guess I never really thought about it like that before. I just think they are so tiny and barely eat!!

True, true, good point! A child no matter what age is still a body and that is one less space on the life boat, therefore it does make sense to pay what everyone else does. Guess I never really thought about it like that before. I just think they are so tiny and barely eat!!

Also, having sailed with an infant before -- though they are tiny they do create an opportunity for service on the trip. I know our room steward had to remove trash more often (diapers) even though I brought plastic disposal bags to wrap them in and she brought us warmed water for bottles --- she also had to change the linens once when baby threw up unexpectedly. --- so, I never really felt bad about paying the third person fare. :)

Archived