Are one piece swimsuits too frumpy?

Hi,

I am getting married on the Carnival Glory 10/28/08. I've been buying some swimsuits while they are on clearance and last night my fiance said that 24 year olds don't wear one pieces on cruises and I'd look "frumpy". I'm 5'4", about 170lbs, and kind of chubby, so I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Do all the women wear 2 pieces, regardless of age/shape/size? What have you seen?

Thanks for your help!

Stacey;)

I usually wear a one piece. In fact my two piece swimsuits show less skin than my one piece. Being a one-piece does not automatically make a suit frumpy.

And not everyone is meant to wear a bikini!

I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Do all the women wear 2 pieces, regardless of age/shape/size? What have you seen?

Not all women wear 2 piece suits. I for one do NOT wear a 2-piece, my rib cage protrudes quite noticeably and I'm not comfortable showing it. So I wear a tankini or a one-piece. One piece suits are not necessarily frumpy. I've had many that were far, far, FAR from frumpy. It's your vacation too, so you should be comfy -- tell your fiance you're saving the "show" for him only :)

You'll see bathing suits of all kinds and on all body shapes. I don't know where your fiance gets his information, but I believe women should wear the bathing suit that they like on their own body.

I've seen plenty of women on ships, at the beach, at pools...wearing bikinis who probably would look better in a one piece, but I have to give them a thumbs up for the courage to wear something like that in public.

how about a takini? It seems that it does not matter whether opinions on the board say that one pieces are frumpy or not, (I think they are) The real crux of the matter is that your fiancee' clearly stated he does not like them. A takini with a sheer pareo can camouflage some trouble spots and still seem young and sexy for your new hubby!

This doesn't seem frumpy to me ..........

sc_haltsun_lg.jpg

Kathy, where did you find this suit? It is LOVELY!:D

To the OP...many of us wear one pieces..me included.

I also like Tankinis...they look like one peice but are

easier to get in and out of;) since they ARE 2

pieces:)

Hi Lois

It is from ester-williams dot com .. but they are currently in the process of finding a new manufacturer so it isn't available right now

BTW .. mine is black with white polkadots :)

Oh...ok...well, I might check out that website!:)

Thanks!

Hi,

I am getting married on the Carnival Glory 10/28/08. I've been buying some swimsuits while they are on clearance and last night my fiance said that 24 year olds don't wear one pieces on cruises and I'd look "frumpy". I'm 5'4", about 170lbs, and kind of chubby, so I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Thanks for your help!

Stacey;)

I wear 2 pieces because my top and my bottom are 2 different sizes (top I'm a 12, bottom I'm an 8)...I wear tankinis and bikinis...I'm 50.

I personally don't think that one pieces are "frumpy" but I do think that tankinis are more flattering on most women.

how about a takini? It seems that it does not matter whether opinions on the board say that one pieces are frumpy or not, (I think they are) The real crux of the matter is that your fiancee' clearly stated he does not like them. A takini with a sheer pareo can camouflage some trouble spots and still seem young and sexy for your new hubby!

I think that if I felt insecure in a 2 piece bathing suit, either bikini or tankini, how my man felt about it would take a back seat to my feelings. Not that a person doesn't want to please their SO, but confidence can make you a whole lot sexier than showing skin you don't care to show.

I've seen plenty of sexy one piece bathing suits.

Octoberbride08. You will see all shapes and sizes in every bathing suit type imaginable on a cruise. One woman said to me "I don't care. I'll never see these people again". She wore a really skimpy bikinin!!!!!!! With that said:

Get a tankini. It's 2 piece and it covers. I have several of them and now don't really wear too many 1 piecers. They are easier to get in and out of too. Some of mine cover more, some less. I do not have a bikini body type so love the tankini. Try a few on and see.

Macys in NY has a big sale on suits. I just got 2 Ralph Lauren tankini tops and bottoms for $10.39 each piece. They are $12.99 a piece and I had a 20% off coupon. Original price $75. tops, $55. bottoms.

Lord and Taylor also has the pieces on sale at 19.99 each piece. $15.99 with coupon .

Thre tankini will satisfy his request (2 pieces) and yours (coverage)

Octoberbride08, a word of advice from someone married for 32 years. You may take your SO's opinion under consideration, but in the end it is your body and your decision. This applies to swimsuits, breast size, pregnancy or anything else.

Wear what YOU feel comfortable in.

There are so many different styles of 1 piece bathing suits and many are not frumpy at all. In fact years ago :eek: when I was in my 20's I owned several 1 piece suits that were very sexy (cut out's in the right places and high cut leg openings). Check out the girls in the Victoria Secret's catalog who model the one piece swimwear - very sexy!

Now, I like tankini's because it's so much easier when you have to go to the bathroom.

You should wear what you will feel comfortable in otherwise you will feel self conscious. Try all different types of swimsuits on and pick the one that makes you feel the most "fabulous"! :D

I am wearing this hot little strapless number (in red) on my Sensation honeymoon next weekend. It is soooo gorgeous and flattering! I haven't worn a one piece in probably 20 years, but I saw it in the window of a little boutique at Lake of the Ozarks and had to have it.

bb_delano_bnd.jpg.259a1bf916c5af1e8bc13274b5631d68.jpg

On a cruise, there is a good chance you are not going to be just lying in the sun the whole time. On excursions you want to feel confident that you are not going to be showing more than you were planning to! A one piece will stay on during swimming, snorkeling, etc. Tankinis are great because you can wear shorts over the bottom, the top looks cute, and you are covered.

Archived