HAL to return to NY in 2010

cruiservictor

I was very surprised and thrilled when I saw this thread :D

We've only sailed HAL once before, on the Oosterdam, and were very pleased with service and accomodations. We would not hesitate to sail HAL again.

We've been to Bermuda 3 times... the first time on the Zenith where we stayed 2 days in Hamilton and 2 days in St. Georges. This was the BEST itinerary for Bermuda. Our second visit was on the Crown Princess and it was only for one day since we also sailed to other ports of call.

This past summer we sailed to "only Bermuda" but it was on NCL Dawn. Although the ship itself was nice we did not care for their Freestyle Dining. We like "our" table with "our" waiter. Since the ship was large we docked at Kings Wharf. It wasn't the end of the world since Bermuda has a very efficient public transport system, but it is nice to be able to dock right in the cities of Hamilton/St. Georges.

It will be interesting to see what HAL's itinerary will be for the Veendam (Bermuda vs. sea days) and also where it's actually docking. Since it will be going into dry dock in 09 I'm sure HAL will make any and all necessary repairs and upgrades to ensure that the Veendam will be a class act sailing to Bermuda.

The best news is that since we live in NYC .........a short taxi ride and WE ARE THERE :D

Holland America Line Announces $200 Million in Enhancements to Five

Ships as Part of Ongoing Signature of Excellence

Commitment now exceeds $525 million

The investment in this new series of enhancements will include a new

resort pool concept, innovative lanai staterooms, new entertainment

and enrichment options, all new stateroom décor and more. Holland

America Line's commitment to enhancing its premium fleet now exceeds

$525 million.

The most dramatic alteration will be to the aft portion of the ships,

allowing for a new resort-style pool area on Lido deck called The

Retreat with a shallow area where guests may lounge in chairs and dip

their fingers and toes in the water or relax on the bench and dangle

their legs in the refreshing water. A new pool bar and an upscale

pizzeria called Slice will be installed, as well as a canopy and wind

screens to provide additional covered seating for the Lido Restaurant.

All staterooms will receive new décor, carpeting and soft goods. Each

ship also will have an additional 44 to 46 staterooms, 32 with

verandahs and the remaining will be inside staterooms. On the four

S-class ships, twelve staterooms near the spa (on Deck 9) also will

have verandahs added, and along with three inside staterooms, become

'spa staterooms' featuring a variety of enhanced spa amenities. On the

Rotterdam, 23 staterooms on Verandah deck will become spa staterooms.

On the five ships, forty-six new lanai staterooms will be created by

replacing existing windows of 42 staterooms (on Lower Promenade Deck

6) with lanai doors that open directly onto the walk-around promenade,

and adding four additional staterooms.

Renowned for service levels provided by its award-winning staff, the

program will also include significant crew area enhancements including

a new fitness facility, internet centers, staterooms and recreational

areas.

Fleetwide, the company features Signature of Excellence enhancements,

totaling more than $425 million, that showcase the Culinary Arts

Center presented by Food & Wine magazine - a state-of-the-art onboard

show kitchen where more than 60 celebrated guest chefs and culinary

experts provide cooking demonstrations and classes - Explorations Café

powered by The New York Times, teens-only activity areas and all new

stateroom amenities highlighted by flat-panel TVs and plush Euro-top

Mariner's Dream Beds.

Thank you very much! Made my day! ;)

No Crystal ball here ... however ... my "guess" is that the Itineraries will start showing up on the website within the next few weeks.

Someone aboard ship should talk to a Future Cruise Consultant and find out if it can be booked NOW. It might be bookable.

Aw, c'mon RevNeal....get out that crystal ball. You can be our temp TA. ;)

We've never sailed to Bermuda, but flown there 3 times. Would love to return and if the Veendam gives us more than 3 days, we'd be thrilled. :)

Also, I believe TomC is on the Maasdam but I recall he said he didn't think he'd do a "Live from" this time...maybe he will check in here, though.

I'm sure I'll be in touch with Tom, probably tomorrow. I'll ask him to check on this if he gets a chance.

The Veendam can't go fast -- I doubt if you would be there longer than 2 or 2 1/2 days in Bermuda.

Is it slower than the old ss Statendam? I doubt it.

That ship left NYC about 4:30 (or so) on Saturday, and docked in Hamilton Monday morning. On the return we sailed Thursday afternoon (maybe 3:00?), and were back in NYC bright and early Saturday.

That was a full 3 1/2 days, three nights in Bermuda.

We sailed Zenith from New York to Bermuda and back about 7 years ago or so. We docked in both St. George's and Hamilton. I think we had four days on the island. Maybe it was a day and a half going and coming?

It wasn't all perfect by any means. If you get bad weather, you get a bad time IMO So little to do there if the weather does not cooperate. Downtown Hamilton has changed dramatically from the years ago when we used to do resort stays there.

Forget Trimmingham's and the like. They disappeared ages ago. :(

Tourist shopping is now at St. George's.

I'm sure I'll be in touch with Tom, probably tomorrow. I'll ask him to check on this if he gets a chance.

That'd be great, Ruth.

I've only been on CC for 2 1/2 years, and haven't been here for something like this...existing ship/new itinerary (not new but one that's not been done for a long time).

Will lots of people from CC book the first cruise to Bermuda? I don't know what it's called when it's a new itinerary but a ship already in existence!

We sailed Zenith from New York to Bermuda and back about 7 years ago or so. We docked in both St. George's and Hamilton. I think we had four days on the island. Maybe it was a day and a half going and coming?

It wasn't all perfect by any means. If you get bad weather, you get a bad time IMO So little to do there if the weather does not cooperate. Downtown Hamilton has changed dramatically from the years ago when we used to do resort stays there.

Forget Trimmingham's and the like. They disappeared ages ago. :(

Tourist shopping is now at St. George's.

It's a shame what's happened to Hamilton. I used to love Trimingham's, H A & E Smith, A S Cooper, etc. Haven't been there since we've had the inn (15 years) so haven't seen all the changes. Our favorite hotels, Glencoe and Newstead are now gone to. Condos and hotel condos. At least the Fourways Inn is still in business.

Probably not the shopping paradise it once was; however, still a beautiful island.

Perhaps these details have been posted already in this thread and I've missed it, but Crusinetta posted in her Minidam thread that the Veendam will be sailing to Bermuda, August to October in '10, and May to October in '11: 7 day cruises. :D

Perhaps these details have been posted already in this thread and I've missed it, but Crusinetta posted in her Minidam thread that the Veendam will be sailing to Bermuda, August to October in '10, and May to October in '11: 7 day cruises. :D

Thanks -- I think I missed that as well.

So in 2010 will the Veendam be in Alaska or Europe before she begins the Bermuda cruises?

Think I will head over to HAL and check this out.

Thanks

So in 2010 will the Veendam be in Alaska or Europe before she begins the Bermuda cruises?

Thanks

I tried yesterday, KK, and HAL doesn't have it on the schedule yet. Not on their website. I think I might give HAL a call.

We've been to Bermuda in April, May, September (late) and October (Columbus Day Weekend). The fall is absolutely the best weather-wise. I'd have to give a "10" to the weather we had on Columbus Day Weekend! A close 10 to the weather in late September. Crisp, sunny days; cool evenings. Both time, April and May it was chilly and rainy.

August would be very hot...I can wait for winter and the Caribbean for that!

Thanks

And for those who want an "extended" cruise experience, just find the cruise where the ship transitions to the new itinerary and then get a Bermuda, along with an Alaska or Europe sailing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No trains.
Sucks. :(

I wouldn't take a small commuter plane either ... not if they couldn't guarantee my luggage gets onboard. Also, with those small commuter planes, I'd be too tempted to open the door and jump out. :( No, not for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hey, Rita ... that would be great.

I really do want to plan to do that Bermuda cruise, and doing it on the Veendam get's me my 4th S class ship in my "collection," so it would work out perfectly.

What time of the year would be better for you? September 2010? Or the summer of 2011??

Summer is usually bad ... it's difficult to get time off at my job then. September 2010 would be perfect. It would fit in nicely with my plans not to fly for a few years until the airline industry stabilizes. A cruise out of New York is an easy Amtrak ride for me.

Let's plan on it. I'm definitely game.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Summer is usually bad ... it's difficult to get time off at my job then. September 2010 would be perfect. It would fit in nicely with my plans not to fly for a few years until the airline industry stabilizes. A cruise out of New York is an easy Amtrak ride for me.

Let's plan on it. I'm definitely game.

Blue skies ...

--rita

How about a "Return of the Good Nuts" cruise on Columbus Day Weekend 2010? September is hurricane season, so that's probably not a great idea. Weather in Bermuda is at it's finest in October. Even after Columbus Day! We've been to Bermuda several times, and the best weather was in October. Not too hot: crisp days; cool nights.

So, maybe October 9 (over Columbus Day) or the weekends after, October 16 or October 23? The later in the fall, the better, here in the Northeast.

So, maybe October 9 (over Columbus Day) or the weekends after, October 16 or October 23? The later in the fall, the better, here in the Northeast.

My 2010 calendar is wide open as of now (although there are possibilities in the offing for the spring).

Archived