Advice Needed for Surprise Cruise

MadManOfBethesda

It might be fun to give it to your wife for Christmas so she has a couple of weeks to prepare her wardrobe..You will have approx 8 formal nights on the 30 day cruise, so she might want to purchase a few things for her trip..As an extra surprise on the ship you could book a "Renewal of vows Package" on HAL without her knowing..The cost used to be around $150.00..

Cheers...:) Betty

P.S. Welcome to Cruise Critic

Those are good suggestions, Betty. Actually, our anniversary is December 22, so she will have about 2 weeks to prepare for whichever cruise I select. I will definitely book the vows renewal package again. I say again because we did that 15 years ago on the Statendam and my DW still talks about how nice that was.

Moriah, I appreciate your comments as well about the weather in Tahiti. I'm originally from Miami, so hot & humid doesn't bother me. However, I would be greatly disappointed if it rained all the time while we were down there.

I apologize for not responding to everyone individually, but I really do appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks again.

Scott

I love cruising, I love sea days. My mom lives in Hawaii so I get to see her on a somewhat regular basis (and the hawaiian islands :) ) We went to Tahiti last October, together, for two weeks and I would go back in a heart beat. We had a smaller balcony on our cruise to Alaska and it worked just fine, including eating on it, so I wouldn't worry about that ...have a great time!

Such a lovely dilemna .. my first thought was .. I could be ready to go for 15 days tommorrow .. but I would need a lot longer than a couple weeks to plan for 30 days. I also know that as much as I LOVE sea days .. DH is just ok with them.. and I think even for me 17 days would be a bit much.

However .. you know your wife and you should trust your instinct ..

and have the BEST 30th Anniv I can think of .. whichever you decide.

IMO, this is a no brainer. First of all, the symbolism of 30 years celebrated with a 30 day cruise is significant. Secondly, I think you mentioned you would be booking a guarantee. Perhaps you'd be lucky enough to receive an upgrade, or as the cruise gets closer the price will come down, thereby making a balcony cabin more affordable.

To celebrate a milestone anniversary in Bora Bora is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I say book the 30 day without hesitation!

My first thoughts when reading your title and then post were these...

1. Advice I'd give you for a surprise cruise--- take me!

2. As much as I would love to go on a 30 day cruise (and I'm guessing you feel your wife would too) I'd be a bit freaked out if someone said "SURPRISE- you're going away for a month!" That long of a trip takes a lot of planning. Are you hoping to give a lot of notice?

Now I've got a third idea... maybe you could casually mention that a "friend of yours" or someone you read about in the paper took his wife on a cruise that was X days to X location and gauge her reaction. Have to be pretty sly to pull this one off!

Okay, everyone. I contacted my T.A., made my decision, and paid the deposit earlier today. I also purchased the airline tickets separately today from Southwest's website, and was able to get seats on their one and only nonstop flight to San Diego from BWI on Saturday, January 3rd.

Can we have a drumroll please.............

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I opted for the 30 day cruise!

Thanks again everyone for all of your good wishes, your suggestions and your recommendations. I really appreciate your assistance in helping me come to a decision.

Scott

First, a very happy anniversary to you both. Second, can you call my DH to plan a surprise for my 50 birthday next year. I told him that I am not looking forward to being 50 and I want a really big surprise to make it easier and I just don't think he is very good at surprises. Especially since I keep having to remind him:o He wouldn't have your problem though since he is claustrophobic and has to have a balcony. Plus I don't think he could stay on a ship for 30 days. Plus I wouldn't be able to be away from the kids that long. Plus I would be afraid they would destroy my home. Anyway, you are such a good hubby. I would love a surprise cruise!

Can we have a drumroll please.............

>

>

> Bong, Bong, Bong, Bong rolllllllllllllll

>

quote]

Good Choice! :) :) Your lovely wife is a lucky lady to have such a sweet Husband..

Please come back after Dec. 22 & let us know the outcome.. We love Surpises..;)

And a Happy Anniversary to you!

I just found this thread and was working my way to the bottom before I chimed in with my "2 cents worth".

I would of chosen the outside cabin for 30 days over the Hawaii cruise.

I took the Hawaii cruise the first part of January 2006. We had a balcony cabin. Other than when we were in port, we probably spent all of 15 minutes outside on the balcony. It was so cold and so windy you could not sit out there to enjoy yourself. It is winter when you leave SD and they have to go very fast in order to get over close to the islands - which makes for a very windy trip.

Going over to Hawaii from San Diego is not like bobbing around the caribbean islands.

That said - have a great time on your trip.

Carole

Scott, that is fantastic!! And you get my vote for Husband of the Year! I can't wait to read about your cruise, while it's happening or after. I know you two are going to have an absolutely wonderful, romantic adventure.

Moriah

>

Scott

Congratulations on sealing a great deal. I can't imagine how great 30 days on a ship to those countries would be. A perfect way to celebrate your 30th anniversary.!:D

I had a nice surprise when I opened the e-mail confirmation from my travel agent this morning. My cost went down almost $500 from what I was expecting to pay!

As you may have seen earlier in this thread, I was debating between the 15-day cruise and the 30-day cruise because there was less than a $1000 difference between the two on a per person basis. When my T.A. put a hold on the cabin last week, HAL gave him a price of $4167 will all taxes and surcharges included. However, when he gave them my deposit yesterday, the total cost was down to $3927 for the same FF guarantee. So that's an extra $480 I'll have to spend on board or on excursions. And that means the difference in price between the two cruises is down to a little more than $700 per person. Not bad for an extra 15 days on the ship!

LOL, I couldn't get to it either!

That's a great discount...will pay for a few excursions hopefully. :D

Yep. And I've already spent part of it. After doing some reading here on CC and on Trip Advisor, I booked the Old Lahaina Luau for our night on Maui. I was worried as I read some of the threads because some people had posted that they tried to make a reservation 6-8 months out and it was already booked up. Fortunately, I didn't have a problem. But I did have to make another decision without DW's help. I had to decide whether she'd prefer the "traditional" seating on a mat as opposed to at a table. This decision wasn't nearly as difficult to make as deciding which cruise to choose, lol. I opted for the traditional seating and I'm positive that I made the right choice for her.

Scott

Well, I am the planner of our couple for sure. so my first thought was that I would not want to be surprised but be involved in the planning.

However, I am now certain that a surprise of such magnitude for our 30 year anniversary would make me very happy. The thought of it would warm me forever and the cruise would be great too ( we did 21 days to Midway and it seemed too quickly over). You are doing it "RIGHT"

Enjoy!

Well, I need a little more help/advice from someone.

Neither my DW nor I have ever been to San Diego so I am planning a one-night pre-cruise, and a one-night post cruise stay. I have about half a million Marriott points so I can stay at any Marriott there, and I noticed that there are two in the general vicinity of the port and what seems like a "tourist" area: the Marriott Marina and the Marriott Gaslight Quarter. If anyone is familiar with the area or these particular properties, could you recommend one or the other? Or is there a third option that I may be overlooking?

TIA

Scott

Or is there a third option that I may be overlooking?

If you decide not to stay at a Marriot, consider the Holiday Inn on the Bay (not Bayside, which is a different property). The Holiday Inn is directly across the street from the pier.

There is a shuttle from the airport, and again to the pier---some people walk their luggage across the street. There's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on the property, and a lovely restaurant off the lobby. Pretty decent lounge, too, IIRC. ;)

If you get a room in the tower, overlooking the harbor, you can watch your ship come in, literally!, in the morning. Then, from your little balcony, you can hear the announcements on the ship telling everyone to get off to make space for you! :D

If you decide not to stay at a Marriot, consider the Holiday Inn on the Bay (not Bayside, which is a different property). The Holiday Inn is directly across the street from the pier.

There is a shuttle from the airport, and again to the pier---some people walk their luggage across the street. There's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on the property, and a lovely restaurant off the lobby. Pretty decent lounge, too, IIRC. ;)

If you get a room in the tower, overlooking the harbor, you can watch your ship come in, literally!, in the morning. Then, from your little balcony, you can hear the announcements on the ship telling everyone to get off to make space for you! :D

Ruth,.Can he use his Marriott Points at the Holiday Inn ? If so, that would be a great place to be..I only wish that our ship was Overnighting in San Diego next year...Unfortunately we have to be back on board a few hours later, but hope that we will be able to go to the San Diego zoo in that short time...Rats!

http://www.hisandiegoonthebay.com/

Cheers..Betty

P.S. Scott...That's great... We also received a substantial reduction in our "Statendam" 28 day R.T. FLL-San cruise next year..

Fares seem to be coming down..

Here's something you MUST be aware of, depending on how soon before the cruise you are going to tell your wife. (We had dinner companions one time and the cruise had been a surprise for HER -- poor woman had NO appropriate clothes and was overdue for a trip to her hairdresser. Her husband had done her packing. Nice. Black dresses, short sleeved, one sweater, and 3 pairs of underwear. The shoes she was wearing when she boarded.)

If your wife makes regular trips to the hairdresser, make SURE she has an appointment before the cruise. Pay close attention to what she wears for comfort, and for going out. Come back to us or the Fashion Board to get help with her packing, if YOU are doing the selecting and packing. Seriously. I'd be in HELL for 30 days if my DH packed for me.

Archived