Tipping for a 2 Year Old?

kr1st1nm

My son will have just turned 2 when we sail on Carnival the end of October. My question is whether it's customary to tip the full $10 per day for a child this age. It's bad enough that you get charged the full 3rd passenger price but I'm curious about the tipping. Also, does anyone know if Carnival automatically puts it on your bill or do you still hand the money out personally?

Thanks!

You going to clean up for your two year old or will the cabin Stewart be doing it for you ? Is your two year old going to eat at the dinner table where the wait staff will be bringing him or her the meal ? Will your two year old be using any other services on board ? Answer the question honestly and you will have your answer as weather to tip.

• Administrators
My son will have just turned 2 when we sail on Carnival the end of October. My question is whether it's customary to tip the full $10 per day for a child this age. It's bad enough that you get charged the full 3rd passenger price but I'm curious about the tipping. Also, does anyone know if Carnival automatically puts it on your bill or do you still hand the money out personally?

Thanks!

To answer only the question emphasized above, yes, it's customary to tip the full gratuity for children this age, because they require as much work as any adult, and often more work (ever seen a dining room floor beneath where a 2 year old was dining, compared to an adult, for example?). The rest of your questions seem like an inquiry as to how to avoid paying the gratuity, and I can't/won't help with that -- I think the crew earn every penny of their gratuities and don't begrudge them any of it.

For future reference, not all cruiselines charge infants a 3rd/4th passenger rate -- some charge an infant rate, since they don't use many ship's services while they are so dependent on mom (but your son may not qualify for those at his age). Some cruise lines also offer a reduced gratuity for children (like NCL -- a $5 per day gratuity for kids under age 12).

I'm sure you'll see once you're on board that you're going to want to ADD to the tip for your toddler. As someone who has cruised with toddlers a few times, I can attest to the fact that the staff works harder for toddlers than for me. What I paid as my cruise-fare has nothing to do with whether the staff deserves tips, since, obviously, the staff doesn't receive any of the cruise fare.

The tips are split among the cabin attendants, dining room staff, buffet staff, laundry staff, etc, who all have extra work because my toddler is eating/messing up the dining areas and cabin, using towels, etc. I find that $10 a day for all they do for my child is a bargain. (And since many of them have left their own children at home to provide a better life for their family, I try to give a little extra for extra effort, on top of the automatic tips that Carnival adds to your account.

Also - it's customary to also tip the kids club staff (who are not included in the automatic tipping pool).

Have a great cruise - you and your toddler are going to love it.

Best,

Mia

I've read this often and have to ask why parents think their young children should be charged less than other pax? There is a set number of pax allowed on a ship; each person counts as a "soul" toward that maximum. Just because a child or infant won't use some of the facilities or eat all the food or anything else doesn't mean they deserve a discount. There are many things onboard that are included in the cruise fare, but that we don't use. Yet, I don't get upset about paying the full fare. If you truly think it's "bad enough" that your child isn't getting a discounted or free fare, then you might want to consider looking at other options.

I agree with everyone else that infants and toddlers usually require at least as much effort on the part of the service crew. Again, why do parents think their children should basically get a "free ride" in this area? I'm sure you know how much work it is to tend to, clean up after, and jolly along a 2 y/o. You can bet that the crew will go out of their way to make the cruise special for all of you, including your toddler.

beachchick

p.s., Yes, I am a parent too.

The children are well taken care of, sometimes more than me. ;)

When my 3 year old was sad because her towel bunny disappeared and changed into another animal, we came back to a whole towel animal zoo in our cabin. When we had left in the morning our cabin attendant always met us in the hall, she actually hugged the children, talked to them, found out the youngest was looking for the bunny...so we came back to the zoo. I found her and tipped her EXTRA.

We've had cabin attendants dance our kids down the hall. Waiters tie straw papers into hearts. Bring their food extra early so the kids can eat and make it to the camp activities.

One of our cabin attendants had 3 kids UNDER 6 at home. So she was happy to talk to my kids every day. She said it was sad to leave her kids at home, but she knew she could provide for them better on the ship.

So tip them.

And this is only an observation, but you have been on all of those Celebrity cruises yet you balk at the idea of tipping a measly $10/day? Sorry I guess I just don't get it.

I haven't yet cruised with my 2 year old so I cant answer from experience.

I'm going to go ahead and be the odd one out and suggest that you decide mid cruise what kind of a tip your cabin steward deserved for your 2 year old.

Things I would take into consideration are - is your 2 year old going to use the pull out bed? If so then this is going to require that the cabin steward take down/put up the bed and keep the linens up on it. How messy is my 2 year old in the cabin? Is he/she low impact or high impact? Is there water everywhere? Cheerios that require a daily vacuum? Shredded paper left behind? How was the cabin stewards interaction with my child?

If I felt that my child created enough of an impact, then I would decide to tip fully. if I felt that my child didn't create a full occupant impact (let's face it, some kids are just easier than others) I might only decide to tip partial. If I was in a stingy mood, partial tip. If I was in a generous mood, full tip.

So, my vote is wait and see how you feel.

When I cruised with my just turned 2 year old DD last December, I honestly did not even consider tipping less than the full amount. The thought did not cross my mind at all. I consider the $10 per day a basic expense of crusing and would only remove a part of the tip if I experienced horrible service. I left an extra tip for my room steward on that cruise because of the great job he did, and I found that many cruise members went out of their way to make my DD smile. Waiters came over to our table in the buffet to fold napkins into mice and played peek-a-boo with her, off-menu suggestions were offered for her at lunch in the dining room, a fresh cookie was brought to our room each evening just for her, the crew stopped to comment on how cute she was and to say hello to her.

I hope you'll have the same great experience and feel that the tips are well-earned and very deserved.

Taking into consideration only the toileting habits of a just turned 2 year old. I would say that the steward should receive at least $10/day for disposing of the wet and soiled diapers. If by chance, ds is potty trained, the steward should receive at least $10/day for cleaning up for the times junior misses the potty.

Boulders - who's still potty training ds3 :p

I haven't yet cruised with my 2 year old so I cant answer from experience.

I'm going to go ahead and be the odd one out and suggest that you decide mid cruise what kind of a tip your cabin steward deserved for your 2 year old.

Things I would take into consideration are - is your 2 year old going to use the pull out bed? If so then this is going to require that the cabin steward take down/put up the bed and keep the linens up on it. How messy is my 2 year old in the cabin? Is he/she low impact or high impact? Is there water everywhere? Cheerios that require a daily vacuum? Shredded paper left behind? How was the cabin stewards interaction with my child?

If I felt that my child created enough of an impact, then I would decide to tip fully. if I felt that my child didn't create a full occupant impact (let's face it, some kids are just easier than others) I might only decide to tip partial. If I was in a stingy mood, partial tip. If I was in a generous mood, full tip.

So, my vote is wait and see how you feel.

Well, that's about the most convoluted bit of logic I've ever heard. Gosh, I keep my cabin really neat - there is nothing to be put away, no mess to be vacuumed up, no dirty diapers to be disposed of - and I'm really not terribly interested in interaction with the cabin steward - maybe I should consider my "mood" at the end of the cruise and then decide whether to tip or not? These people deserve my tip and then some (unless the service has been terrible, in which case I would have taken it up with their supervisor early on) - their income should be dependant on their performing their jobs, not on my "mood."

Well, that's about the most convoluted bit of logic I've ever heard. Gosh, I keep my cabin really neat - there is nothing to be put away, no mess to be vacuumed up, no dirty diapers to be disposed of - and I'm really not terribly interested in interaction with the cabin steward - maybe I should consider my "mood" at the end of the cruise and then decide whether to tip or not? These people deserve my tip and then some (unless the service has been terrible, in which case I would have taken it up with their supervisor early on) - their income should be dependant on their performing their jobs, not on my "mood."

Never thought about it that way either. I keep the bathroom tidy, never leave clothes laying out, and most days I will make the beds.

Hey! I didn't beat up on anyone for expressing their opinion! Why do you feel it is necessary to beat up on me for expressing mine?

Have some manners!

Not to mention, the impact of an adult is definitely different than the impact of a child. The impact of an infant is different than the impact of a 1 year old, is different than the impact of a 2-4 year old is different than the impact of a 5 year old, etc....

Think it thru for a second and I am sure that you will see what I mean.

But I still think your post is completely uncalled for. You are a prime example of why people decide to argue on these boards.

Everyone has the right to express themselves. People also have the right to disagree.

However, it takes tact to disagree in a non-rude, non-judgmental manner. your "convoluted Logic" comment is completely unnecessary....

Alright Sas - move along with your "convoluted logic" :p :p :p

LOL!

Hey girl I am leaving tomorrow! So if you don't hear from me by next week, call the coast guard. ;) :D

Have fun! Wish I were going...wanna tade? You can take over the gestating and I will take over the vacationing! :D

To answer the OP's question: I do tip the whole amount. I feel good doing it -- and I wouldn't feel right otherwise.

I hope you find (as I have) that your newly two year old is treated so well that you won't have to question what makes you feel right on your upcoming cruise.

What line is that? I'm not quite ready to cruise on any boat that goes by a count of souls! :eek: :p :D

All of them...lol. Both RCCL and Carnival are only allowed to have so many "souls on board" lol :p :D

There's your answer. The Coast Guard considers every person onboard, regardless of age, to be a "soul" and count toward the lifeboat occupancy (and thus, maximum ship occupancy). In fact, I'd be concerned about cruising on a "boat" that didn't consider every person onboard to be a soul. (I answer, although I think you were probably teasing--based on the smilies.);)

beachchick

Archived