Your 1A Stateroom Guide (Everything 1A)

ebandive

Did anyone read CC's article ,"The 8 Best Cruise Ship Inside Cabins ... and 3 to Avoid"? Guess what was one of the 3 to avoid?

You guessed.:D "And Three to Avoid - Carnival's Category 1A Cabins"

This is what they say

"What You Get: Carnival says its oddball 1A cabins measure 185 square feet, but Cruise Critic members with measuring tapes beg to differ. Booking a 1A is a bit of a crapshoot: Some have a bed and a pull-down bunkbed, others have a bed and pullout sofa, while others have side-by-side twins. Some, surprisingly, have porthole windows, meaning they're technically outsides. The 1A's are the odd-shaped, squeezed-into-corners cabins lumped into one cheap category, so their layouts vary by ship and even by cabin number. For the lowdown on the quirky cabin category, check the "Your 1A Stateroom Guide (Everything 1A)" thread."

Funny how they refer back to here. I've never had a 1A cabin but was considering why they include these cabins as ones

to avoid especially since this article is not especially damming. What are your thoughts.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1457

Edited by richstowe

I just booked 2216 on the Magic for Halloween 2013.......it's our 1st 1A and I'm told it has a twin, convertable sofa and two port holes......I'm not exactly thrilled about how forward it is.......I'm used to midship on the Upper deck........but I've always wanted to try one and now we will........

Janey

I am anxious to hear how 2216 on the Magic worked for you. What you liked, disliked, and how much the noise of the waves bothered you. We are booked in the same cabin on the Breeze in February & Im a little anxious.

Have a great cruise.

Tracy

I just booked 2216 on the Magic for Halloween 2013.......it's our 1st 1A and I'm told it has a twin, convertable sofa and two port holes......I'm not exactly thrilled about how forward it is.......I'm used to midship on the Upper deck........but I've always wanted to try one and now we will........

I hope you dont get too much motion then. I did get seasick the very last night about 3 am as we were getting back into Galveston when I had that 1A on Magic.. 1212 .. even more forward and deck 1. At least you can use the glass elevators since they go to deck 2 .. but not deck 1. Deck 1 to me was a pain on forward Magic to have to remember to take the right elevators or walk down a flight each time.

Did anyone read CC's article ,"The 8 Best Cruise Ship Inside Cabins ... and 3 to Avoid"? Guess what was one of the 3 to avoid?

You guessed.:D "And Three to Avoid - Carnival's Category 1A Cabins"

This is what they say

"What You Get: Carnival says its oddball 1A cabins measure 185 square feet, but Cruise Critic members with measuring tapes beg to differ. Booking a 1A is a bit of a crapshoot: Some have a bed and a pull-down bunkbed, others have a bed and pullout sofa, while others have side-by-side twins. Some, surprisingly, have porthole windows, meaning they're technically outsides. The 1A's are the odd-shaped, squeezed-into-corners cabins lumped into one cheap category, so their layouts vary by ship and even by cabin number. For the lowdown on the quirky cabin category, check the "Your 1A Stateroom Guide (Everything 1A)" thread."

Funny how they refer back to here. I've never had a 1A cabin but was considering why they include these cabins as ones

to avoid especially since this article is not especially damming. What are your thoughts.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1457

That is strange that they include it as ones to avoid. Some of the 1As are great, others not so much. Some 1As have a wall up against the elevator shaft, although I haven't heard complaints about that. They may put it in there because of the smaller size of the room. It references that while Carnival claims them to be 185 sq.ft, people with tape measurers have found them to be smaller. You can see the picture with the measurements a few posts back. That comes out to almost exactly 150 sq.ft. Definitely smaller than advertised. What's odd is that the article you referenced says that Carnival's standard interiors are 185 sq.ft, and that's what makes them the best interiors. That 185 is also not true. I have measured a standard interior, and found the exact measurements as the picture a few posts back. Carnival's standard interiors are also 150. So 2 different rooms of the exact same size are in their best & the worst, with the size being the reason for both. But in fairness, another reason for it being considered a bad room type is that you cannot put 2 beds together, which is a deal-breaker for many couples.

Some 1As are actually larger than the 150. The 1As with portholes on Dream are a true 185 sq.ft. It's probably the same on Conquest, Triumph, & Splendor classes. Triumph class & Destiny have a couple 1As that have 2 picture windows that are somewhere around 235 sq.ft, including the long hallway (about 200 usable sq.ft.).

Janey

I am anxious to hear how 2216 on the Magic worked for you. What you liked, disliked, and how much the noise of the waves bothered you. We are booked in the same cabin on the Breeze in February & Im a little anxious.

Have a great cruise.

Tracy

Tracy.....your Breeze cruise is in February....Janey's Magic cruise is October of next year. You'll have to give her advice. ;)

I didn't know the 1A category is so desirable. What is so special about this category? Is it simply price? Just curious.

Thanks in advance.:)

Price is the big thing. People who don't need the 2 beds put together will like these rooms because of the price. But also, some of these rooms are larger than regular interior rooms, and some of them will have 2 portholes, and 3 ships have 2 of their 1A rooms that have 2 picture windows. It's these extras & the low price that make these rooms so desirable for 2 friends, or for a parent & child, or 2 siblings (basically non-couple duos). It's also nice for solos, since they have to pay double cruise fare and only need one bed, you might as well go with the cheapest category.

Price is the big thing. People who don't need the 2 beds put together will like these rooms because of the price. But also, some of these rooms are larger than regular interior rooms, and some of them will have 2 portholes, and 3 ships have 2 of their 1A rooms that have 2 picture windows. It's these extras & the low price that make these rooms so desirable for 2 friends, or for a parent & child, or 2 siblings (basically non-couple duos). It's also nice for solos, since they have to pay double cruise fare and only need one bed, you might as well go with the cheapest category.

My TA puts out group deals and you just pick inside, OV etc usually .. a type of cabin. I told him Id rather have a 1A as a regular inside, but 1As were sold out by the time waitin4acruise made up her mind so he booked me very late to conquest for this Nov. I just got a cabin assigned last night.. a 4C quad. I would rather be in a 1A solo to be honest, than a cabin with 4 beds. I dont know why but I dont like sleeping in a quad by myself much .. doesnt feel cozy somehow. I have a OV booked next time .. but wrote him.. if you can find a 1A or PT Id be just as happy and save him some money.

Anyone have picture of 2217 on The Victory?

I have some pics from 2217 on the Dream. The decor may be a little different, and it's possible the room could be too, since they are not sister ships. But the setup of the rooms in this area is the same. They are the same type of room for both ships: 1A with the sofa bed & portholes. My guess is that they'll look almost exactly the same.

P1030449.jpg

P1060743.jpg

P1060751.jpg

Edited by k2excursion

Had room. 2217 on Freedom with DD last year, my first one Loved it. DH and I always stay in balconies but after I stayed in the 1a, I talked him into a sorta back to back. On the Liberty on the Lido deck in a forward cabin with a window with a obstructed view for 7 days then on the Victory in 2217 a 1a for 5 days. Wondering if the Victory 2217 is much different then the Freedom? Can't wait until Febuary!

Tracy.....your Breeze cruise is in February....Janey's Magic cruise is October of next year. You'll have to give her advice. ;)

Oops. Ill be happy to report back. Thanks K2excursion for the Dream pictures, that should be same as Breeze. How did you find the noise of the water "pounding" the hull?

We had 1207 on the Valor last week and it was exactly like the pictures above. It was a great room and except for hearing the thrusters was nice and quiet. Mornings we were docking were days we would be up anyway so it wasn't a big deal. The price was certainly right!

I stayed in 7345 on Freedom. It definitely has 2 lowers. I have seen 7345 on Liberty & Valor and they are the same. (I made a point of looking in these cabins while they were being cleaned.) The room is slightly larger than a standard interior. The room was next door to the laundromat and I never heard any noise coming from there. This was actually one of the quietest cabins I have ever had.

528724_4664785461224_1699219137_n.jpg

Edited by scgamecock

Janey

Have a great cruise.

Tracy

Are you on the Breeze in Februrary 2013??? or 2014????. Our Magic cruise is Halloween 2013.

I'll take lots of pics and maybe even a video with audio so everyone can "hear" what the cabin is like......I'm just so rarely in our cabin that mostly I'll be asleep.....also, we sleep with the TV on, so it's never real quiet in any cabin and hopefully will mitigate the pounding of the waves.......

I hope you dont get too much motion then. I did get seasick the very last night about 3 am as we were getting back into Galveston when I had that 1A on Magic.. 1212 .. even more forward and deck 1. At least you can use the glass elevators since they go to deck 2 .. but not deck 1. Deck 1 to me was a pain on forward Magic to have to remember to take the right elevators or walk down a flight each time.

Fire, I saw your previous post about the glass elevators and that's what sold us on deck 2......plus this is the most "aft" 1A on that deck and at least based on the curve of the hull, looks like it might have just a tiny bit more floor space......

A question I do have for anyone who knows is........even if they leave the CS made up as a bed during the day, will they at least leave the bolsters in the cabin so we can sit back against them during the day????? That's one of the main reasons we wanted to book this type of cabin was to have a more comfortable place to sit when in the cabin.

A question I do have for anyone who knows is........even if they leave the CS made up as a bed during the day, will they at least leave the bolsters in the cabin so we can sit back against them during the day????? That's one of the main reasons we wanted to book this type of cabin was to have a more comfortable place to sit when in the cabin.

The only time I had the convertible sofa I can remember with my sister, I had that awful lazy cabin steward on Conquest who didnt make up our room 3 nights and one day and backtalked with excuses every time I talked to him about it. .. the times he did make up the bed to a sofa.. he threw the bolsters on the floor and left them ..lmao.. yep. Easy access if we had wanted to put them back on the sofa ourselves. They will be in the cabin somewhere if you want them back.. they are just pillows you can move around yourself. There is storage in the bottom of the sofa bed, with pull out drawers you might check out. Sometimes there is a extra pillow down there or whatever. Cant store your suitcase under them.

The sofa bed is the same size as a twin.. but its a little lower, so they cant push them together, they would be uneven.

Here is 1212 on Magic so you can see the convertible sofa. I was solo so they never made it up into a bed.

Voyager3272.jpg

Voyager3271.jpg

better picture showing how much space is in the cabin

Voyager3280.jpg

I have a close up of the bed, but its not uploaded I can do as a thumbnail if you need to see it better... but the pictures above.. you can see its the same size as the twin, but its lower to the ground.

Are you on the Breeze in Februrary 2013??? or 2014????. Our Magic cruise is Halloween 2013.

I'll take lots of pics and maybe even a video with audio so everyone can "hear" what the cabin is like......I'm just so rarely in our cabin that mostly I'll be asleep.....also, we sleep with the TV on, so it's never real quiet in any cabin and hopefully will mitigate the pounding of the waves.......

Fire, I saw your previous post about the glass elevators and that's what sold us on deck 2......plus this is the most "aft" 1A on that deck and at least based on the curve of the hull, looks like it might have just a tiny bit more floor space......

Janey....we're staying on the front end of your B2B on the Breeze in January in a similar cabin that you'll be in on your Magic cruise, in 2211. Feel free to stop by or leave a note in our mailbox near the door and we'll answer any questions that you may have and give you our opinion of the cabin.

In case anyone wants to see more pictures, check out the Dream section of cruise line rooms. They have pictures from 2211, 2216 and 2217. Of course you need to take the last three words from my previous sentence and add the appropriate ending to get to the location on the world wide web.

In case anyone wants to see more pictures, check out the Dream section of cruise line rooms. They have pictures from 2211, 2216 and 2217. Of course you need to take the last three words from my previous sentence and add the appropriate ending to get to the location on the world wide web.

I have a dozen pictures of the cabin if you need to see more details. I didnt post it before, because mine is just the reverse of the pictures posted above, my bed was on the right.. theirs on the left.

I took this one of the new tvs. Flat screens on carnival just mean the screen is flat.. dont always mean its a LCD or whatever these are.

The screen did not come out from the wall, dissapointed to say. I thought it would swing out.

Voyager3273.jpg

Oops. Ill be happy to report back. Thanks K2excursion for the Dream pictures, that should be same as Breeze. How did you find the noise of the water "pounding" the hull?

The waters were very calm for 6 days, and we couldn't really hear or feel anything. But 1 day, the waters were very rough. The Dream seems to handle rough waters better than other ships, but we could definitely hear the waves hitting. It didn't bother me though. I slept well. There are some noises when coming into ports, but that didn't bother me either. The worst ship noises I've heard were on the Triumph, aft, deck 2, in one of the special 1As with 2 picture windows: 2444/2445.

I had a porthole 1A on the now retired Holiday, and the sounds and motion were terrible, as were the waves. It's the only time I've ever gotten motion sickness on a cruise.

Edited by k2excursion

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh I see! Thanks so much for the information. Good to know if I ever cruise solo or with a friend :)

• 2 weeks later...