Sea View Pool on Statendam

mikjr

I first tried the forum search... but it's down

I'd like a bit of info on the Sea View pool on the backside of the Statendam.

It looks to be a small area and small pool, how big and deep is the pool?Also, there doesn't appear to be a jacuzzi back there... is that correct?

there appears to be plenty of lounge chairs and it looks fairly quiet back there.

how do you access that area??

The outdoor pools on the "S" class ship are at the stern on Navigation Deck. Go all the way back to get to the pool area.

There are lots of loungers and the pool is probably something like 20' x 18'..... I'm just guessing as to size. Three adult crawl strokes and your are edge to edge.

Those pool areas are wonderful and soon to disappear. Each of the "S" ships goes for a dry dock and those pool are being removed to make room for more cabins. One deck above, namely Lido Deck, will have a new sort of splash/fountain type area with loungers for sunning.

Here's a pic of Maasdam's (a sister of Statendam) Aft/Seaview pool and another way to get there from one deck below (Verandah) deck. You can see the two stairwells all the way at the back (left and right). Take them one deck down and you're on Vernadah deck. Oh, and No, there are no jacuzzi's at the Aft or Seaview pool.

IMG_7772.jpg?t=1220586820

This upcoming loss of the Sea View Pool is quite distressing !! :(

Over the last 2 years I've spent 30 days on the Maasdam, and a sizable amount of that time, in that venue; either 'catching some rays', attending sail away parties, or just enjoying the drinks that Emmerson prepared, as well as his charming company! :D

On all 3 cruises, this area became a gathering place for a sub-culture, or group of the same 30 to 40 people, who enjoyed each others company!

It's certainly disappointing that they need to increase the number of passengers to reduce costs ----- damn, I don't accept change well! :o

I too am sorry for the loss of the aft pools. :( Although not enforced, this was the "adults only" pool and usually provided a bit of quiet away from the Lido Pool traffic and games. Understand the business decision but doubt that a "splash pool" will be a good alternative.

They will convert this pool to a splash pool to accomodate inside cabins under the splash pool on the Navigation Deck.

If they kept a full size pool, as they have now, they would have to loose possibly four inside cabins. Have they lost their minds down at 300 Elliott Ave ?? This is not "Signature of Excellence" its a Signature of total short sidedness.

John, do these particular ships have a Seaview Bar - any pics? Thanks!
I think I just answered my own question by looking at some of my OWN pictures:rolleyes: The answer would be NO (at least I don't see it on either of these shots taken on the (sister ship ms Ryndam in Alaska). BTW, staff threw ice cubes into the pool for the Polar Bear Dip and I captured this photo of someone not really enjoying the cold! LOL

2846549680086199872S500x500Q85.jpg

2846994130086199872S500x500Q85.jpg

Here are some of my photos from the Statendam in regards to the aft pool. Enjoy! I also have a video where people are swimming in it. I think for most men it went up to mid-way on the chest area if I am not mistaken.

uploaded7708129-vi.jpg

uploaded7708205-vi.jpg

uploaded71008c001-vi.jpg

uploaded71008c016-vi.jpg

uploaded71008c062-vi.jpg

There is a small bar (at least on the Maasdam there is) In your second photo, it should be behind that table in the background. It's set under the stairwell, next to the bathroom & shower there.

It is a small service bar where stewards (or guests) can order drinks and bartender prepares and passes them to you. It is not a sitdown bar....only 'carry away'. But you can get soft drinks or bar beverages including frozen umbrella thingees.

We LOVE that pool and have spent (literally) months of our lives sitting at those aft Navigation Pools.

I can understand why HAL is removing the pools. They were rarely used when we were on the Statendam or any ship for that matter. A cruise line is just like a retail store. One must maximize the dollar per square foot.

Similar to a lot of topics being discussed here, popularity of the aft pools depends on the cruise/itinerary/time of year, etc. Here's a time when it was a pretty popular location

IMG_2478-1.jpg?t=1220636632

I can understand why HAL is removing the pools. They were rarely used when we were on the Statendam or any ship for that matter. A cruise line is just like a retail store. One must maximize the dollar per square foot.

You have two Alaska Cruises and a Baltic Cruise. People are rarely in the aft pool in colder climates. But--- in the Caribbean and other warm weather itineries the aft pool is well used and on sea days its hard to find a deck chair. I've spent lots of time at the aft pool and I can assure you it is well used.

From my perspective the disco is the least used area of the vista ships.

Turning the aft pool into a wading pool is a big mistake.

Have they lost their minds down at 300 Elliott Ave ?? This is not "Signature of Excellence" its a Signature of total short sidedness.

I'm in totally agreement with you RedmondCruiser, they have lost their ever blooming minds and as far as the other poster saying that this pool and pool area are hardly used, what cruise was he/she on. Must have been Alaska, that pool is heavily used on all the cruises I've been on.

Archived